sorry to post again so soon but i feel like i'm having a break down

(19 posts)
  1. pinkchiffon

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 4:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks to everyone who replied to my other post and i'm sorry to post again already but i have no one to talk to right now and (like always) i can't get this off my mind.

i'm crying and i feel like i'm going to have a panic attack and i know that's pretty dramatic but i can't help it, i have serious phobia of bugs and these are just the WORST, and so many bad things have happened to me the past two years and having all this on top of it is killing me.

i can't stand it, i feel so helpless and hopeless and trapped in my own home. i can't sleep in my bed, i just can't. i stay up all night with the light on until i'm about to fall over and even then i don't want to sleep there but i feel safer in the daylight though i know they're still getting me. i'm sure they get me sometimes when i'm awake and i don't know it but the idea of KNOWING they're on me in my sleep???? i CAN'T. i sprayed raid in areas by my computer desk saturday since i kept seeing some over in this area and i haven't seen any over here since then but then sunday is when i saw the one on my night stand. i can't STAND seeing them, it just creeps me out even more and makes me panic again yesterday (monday) i only slept two hours, i washed my comforter and pillow cases in hot water and dried them in hot heat first, i woke up with a light blood smear on my sock on the top of my foot and a couple random ones on the right shoulder of my shirt and on my left arm. when i was in bed i thought i felt something on my foot and used my other foot to stomp it, the foot i thought i felt something on was the one wearing the sock i found the blood smear on after waking up.. though i don't know if it's from what i did, or if i was imagining that feeling (i do a lot) and it's just a coincidence that that's where there's a blood stain, maybe not from smashing it.

i am still running on only two hours of sleep and maybe that's also part of why i'm crying because i'm so tired but i'm so scared and i can't take this i really can't, especially since we're so low on money and professional help is completely out of the question and when i read things here it makes me feel like without that it's impossible

i know everyone asks this but why me? seriously? this is too much and i'm not even able to isolate my bed yet. how do you guys deal with this? i'm having a hard enough time as it is i can't even imagine what it's like for you parents out there, especially of small children and/or babies. my deepest sympathies go out to you, along with everyone else. this is horrible, absolutely horrible. this has to be one of the worst things that can happen to a person, especially those as low on money as we are.

i lost my dad in 2006, lost my car so now i'm stuck at home without a job or money because i have so many limitations and live in a lame location when it comes to options - i can only find something here and w/my mom's work schedule which isn't happening because there are so little choices, my step dad has been having health issues, he just had a bypass and he's been on medical leave for a while now which is another factor in why we have so little money, plus he has to have another surgery sometime within a couple months... so i don't even know when he'll be able to go back to work exactly and we haven't been able to make a house payment... and now after all the stress and thinking they were gone before, these bastards are back to make everything worse.

i'm sorry for ranting and whining so much, its 4 am i haven't slept i can't sleep i can't do anything, i just really needed to get this out somewhere and this was my only choice. i wish i could find some hope.

is there anything residual yet very affordable????

and by the way, i'm in the northern kentucky area... is anyone else? while browsing i saw quite a few mentions of cincinnati..

2. pleasenotme

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 7:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you isolated your bed? If not, you should. Please read the FAQs and please try to remember that thought they are gross, they are just bugs. They won't kill you. Try to get some sleep so you can deal with everything you have to deal with. Most people on here have felt like you do. It's really not the end of the world.
    Take care.

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 8:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay Pink Chiffon here is a giant hug! (((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))

Now I'm saying this in my momma voice, which is sweet but firm "You will fight these bugs, you will not surrender" Remember sweetie, you are a war, and everyone is terrified in battle, but you must muster your inner strength and fight. Many wars have been won over the centuries by those who were much less strong, but showed better tactical skills or who just wouldn't quit fighting. Don't quit fighting!

Isolate your bed, if you have a place where you can sleep at night and they aren't munching you can get your sleep and you will think clearer. Health problems stink, I know all to well, but giving up is not an option. FIGHT!

4. bugbait

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 10:10:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Pinkchiffon - I'm in Cincinnati so I can relate to your issues. Here is another big hug! Affordable residual: I have had some success with 'JT Eaton Kills Bedbugs' spray. It is about $15 at local True Value or Do-It Best hardware stores. Are you in an apartment? Any help from the landlord for professional pest control? Hang tight - do not let these bugs push you over the edge... you need to get some real sleep and begin the true FIGHT. Good luck!

5. lynnee82

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 12:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I know exactly how you feel. We have been dealing with this for 2 weeks, and I feel like I am going crazy! Thank you for the advise above. We both have to keep remembering that they won't kill us and we will win this battle!

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 17:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel so bad for you. Everything you are going through is also maginified by the fact that you are not getting more than 2 hours sleep a night. That alone will make your nerves raw and makes this painful situation nearly unbearable. I hope you can get some sleep soon. Are you under a health plan where they can prescribe something to help you sleep? I wish I could send you a nap!

7. pinkchiffon

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 4:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm really glad i ended up finding this forum, its nice to have an outlet and people who understand what it's like, i know its horrible for everyone to go through but at the same time its refreshing to know you aren't alone. plus i get to learn about what things to try (that we can afford, of course) and what doesn't work.

i went to work with my mom (after washing my hair and the clothes i planned on wearing) and got some sleep in a bug free place which was something i needed, plus getting out of the house!! i was just paranoid that maybe i accidentally carried one with me or something, but it was nice not to have to be afraid of falling asleep just because i had to imagine bugs crawling on me.

we went to walmart to see if they had DE, i couldn't find it... i asked but they weren't really a big help (no surprise at this walmart). we got a few bottles of 91% alcohol, some vaseline, and some ziploc bags. but i couldn't find any bigger than gallon sized.

where do i find the ziploc bags big enough for clothes? and also, to the person in cincinnati... i don't live near a true value or do it best hardware store, does anywhere else carry it besides the internet? and also, we put boric acid all over my room the last time (before we knew it isn't really effective) but my question is, even if it isn't effective at killing them, they wouldn't nest where the boric acid is, would they? it isn't blended down into the carpet or anything, it's visible and there's a lot of it everywhere which doesn't help the way my room looks in the messy cluttery sense!! we also have boric acid on the metal frames my bed sits on.

i think i'm going to keep going to work w/my mom to sleep in the day and stay up all night with the light on anyway for the next few days until we can get more things to isolate my bed and hopefully move some stuff out of the way.

thanks again for being so supportive and so helpful, i don't want to give up hope it's just so hard not to sometimes!!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 9:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi pinkchiffon,

I am glad you found us. Do not hesitate to post when you need support.

I think many if not all of us can understand how you feel. It is very hard to deal with stress when you cannot sleep. But it is essential to try and take care of yourself in order to be strong enough to deal with this. (And you CAN deal with this. You will get through it!)

The Northern Kentucky Independent District Health Department has a bed bug page on its website.

It also says,

...you can call the Health Department’s Environmental Health and Safety office at 859.341.4151.

I would encourage you to call them and tell them you have bed bugs and cannot afford professional treatment. Ask if they can help or if they know of anyone who can. It does not hurt to ask. This problem is going to continue to spread until people get help fighting it.

The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services also has a bed bug page. The links from this page suggest hiring a professional. Again, I would call them and ask for assistance.

There have been instances in other locations where assistance has been provided with homeowner's bed bug treatment. We have to ask, or there will be no help.

re: DE: Make sure the DE you buy is being marketed for use in pest control, or is labeled "food grade". Do NOT buy pool grade DE. See the DE FAQ, and use with caution.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. bugbasher

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 9:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Pink,
    I felt just like you when I found out,and for a good while after that as well.But it can be done!First thing is you're going to have to muster up all your courage.Also wash and dry all clothing and linens and put in plastic bags airtight sealed with a tight knot,labels are very helpful.Second,you're going to inspect your home as a detective.There are many university sites that will tell you how.I think there's a list of them on this site,do a search.Third,vacuum up all that boric acid,it does nothing against these particular bugs.Boric acid is useful only if ingested by the bug(which doesn't happen w/ bb's),get your self some Drione dust or DE instead.Make sure you get a duster as well(it has to be applied very thin almost invisible layer) and a dust mask.Now apply the dust ONLY to areas that won't be disturbed,under furniture in cracks and crevices of the furniture ONLY,under the edges of carpeting.Don't put it where you will come into contact with it,but where they will.I understand DE or food grade diamatous earth works just like the drione and is cheaper and available in local hardware stores,you will still need to follow the rules above about not contacting it.Most people that use the dusts reapply every month or so.You can get a residual spray such as bedlam that can be used on the bed,read directions CAREFULLY,and don't deviate from them,it will not make them go away any faster,but may put you in danger.Another thing you can and should do is dust the inside of all electrical recepticles and outlets,TURN OFF CIRCUIT BREAKERS FIRST,then just unscrew recpticle and apply dust very fine inside,then reattach cover,turn circuit breaker on after you're done,NEVER USE A SPRAY NEAR ELECTRICITY.I wish I could tell you there is a quick solution but there's not.These steps will take at least a month or maybe 2(sounds like a fair to heavy infestation) to see results,but in the end they work.The most important thing is don't give up hope,you will win in the end if you keep at it(although there WILL be times it looks as if you're not going to).Pm me if you need to ask questions BEFORE doing anything you're in doubt about,OK? Oh if there's anyplace you can rent a DRY steamer that's useful as well,you can steam furniture ,rugs.But it must be dry steam or you will introduce mold and mildew,which will not bother the bugs but can have severe health consequences for you.
    A BIG HUG ,I know you can do this
    because I did.

10. lynnee82

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 12:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbasher, thank you so much for your post. I have also been going through similar stuff as pink has. My question: I ordered cyonara, gentrol, and DE with pyrethrins. I have done all the stuff with my clothes and bed as suggested. Are these products effective? I could not find a PCO in the Birmingham Alabama area to treat. Thank you for your time to help us.

11. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 14:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Lynnee, unfortunately, Gentrol doesn't have a lot of evidence of working of bed bugs. I have heard of a few people who have had success with the DE with pyrethrins, though. You have to work hard and be really consistent, though. I think there should be directions for bed bugs that come with the DE. Don't forget to get behind the electrical plates like bugbasher details. Good luck.

12. pinkchiffon

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 16:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks again guys and thank you so much for that phone number. i am going to try calling them tomorrow morning and crossing my fingers and praying because we usually have bad luck, especially lately. but it definitely doesn't hurt to ask, sometimes life throws you surprises.

i definitely needed a break from sleeping here a couple days, maybe tomorrow too before we get to isolate my bed. i know it's not the best thing to do but i really just can't let myself be bait. if i woke up to find one or more in bed with me or on me, i would flip out even more than i have been already and that wouldn't be good either. i really hope isolating my bed works, because i hate not feeling able to sleep in it.

here's to hoping we can get this under control before its completely out of control.

where did you guys find your xl ziploc bags?

13. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 17:39:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang in there Pink. Is there a car you can sleep in? If so CHANGE INTO DRIED-ON-HIGH-FOR-45-MINUTES CLOTHES and catch some zzs. Ditto for blanket and pillow, etc. Then deal with the bugs.

Remember that bugs are only bugs. You still have health, family, friends, and your sanity (when you get it back).

I found X-large ziplocks at the grocery store. They are expensive. The regular clear 13gal and 30gal (I think) are affordable.

14. pleasenotme

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 20:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I found the XXL ziplocks at Target.

15. bugbasher

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 21:57:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Lynne,
    What you have is what I used with the addition of Phantom.They say it's best to alternate the chemicals so the bugs don't build a resistance to one particular class.I did buy the gentrol,but never used it because of the reason cited above by Barely living.I'm also a fan of bedlam,in between regular sprayings of the liquids.Make sure to treat everything hanging on the walls,too.There was one poor soul who found a harborage in her smoke detector/alarm high up on the wall,so don't think anything is beyond being suspect.But also be careful what you're spraying with a lquid or aerosol,you don't want any fires.If in doubt,dust it.Also,you're going to be married to your vacuum cleaner for the next few months.Vacuum every day is helpful,what I did was to vacuum up a tablespoon or two of the dust beforehand,because the vacuum trip alone won't kill any you encounter.I never had a lot of dust in the air while doing this,but every vacuum is different,though the principle is the same,so wear a dust mask while vacuuming till your sure.If excessive dust is a problem,then you can spray the inside of the bag w/ bedlam,let it dry and then vacuum.My reasoning was at least they got covered with with dust or bedlam on the journey,then seal the bag and keep for reuse or discard.Spray every two weeks religously,using the bedlam or similar every 3-4 days after spraying.It's best to treat the underside of everything you can(they like undersides apparently),so whatever you can pick up and turn upside down,do it.If you don't have the help at least try to shift the furniture and get dust under it.You can't dust the undersides of drawers,so be sure to take them out and spray them when treating every 2 weeks.It's not going to happen overnight but it will work.Never surrender or go into denial.Good luck,let us know how it's going.

16. pinkchiffon

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 22:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

where can you buy bedlam and is it expensive? money is definitely a serious issue in my case unfortunately, so i have to work with whatever little i can

17. sarahjoga

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 0:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Pink.

I am right there with you... I actually started taking Advil PM. I had to explain the process to myself as such:

These bugs have been eating at me for a very long time and I didn't know it. I got lots and lots of great sleep. They have been here for a while and its going to take some time to get them all out. I need my strength to fight them- I need to be emotionally intact so that I can still meet my children's needs and handle other life stressors. I need my sleep. I can take sleep medecine for a little while so that I can sleep while I fight off these bugs. It will be okay.

Then take your sheets out of the dryer and get some sleep... not the best situation, but you gotta sleep.

Good luck,

Sarah

18. belle72

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 1:07:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs already posted the link but in case you missed it, you can read about DE here:
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

They have the 4 lb. bags of Safer (it's pictured in the link above) at Lowe's in the garden dept. Just read carefully before using!! We have a PCO so I have not used it, but would if needed. God bless you honey.

19. IveBeenBugged

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 9:00:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a side note to everyone out there. If you taking an over the counter sleep aid it's much more affordable to just buy benadryl (or a generic version of it). It has the same active ingredient as most over the counter sleep aids (i.e. advil PM tylenol PM and many of the others that do not contain a pain killer with them).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982