Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Son of a biscuit! Finally found dead bed bugs! (AFTER PCO treatment!)

(10 posts)
  1. this means war

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 9:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Although my iPhone barely captured my new roomates, I uploaded a picture at toledobedbugguy.blogspot.com. No, I'm not writing a freaking novel or trying to make money, so feel free to check it out. I am a school administrator in Ohio with no ambition to become an Internet sensation -- although I might need it as a back-up plan if my job continues to suffer as a result of this infestation!

Anyway, I threw out my mattress and box spring last night. And I was dead set against the idea. Dead set. Until I saw them.

QUESTION: Should I hold off on buying a new mattress until after the follow-up treatment? I thought it might be good to schedule mattress delivery the afternoon of the follow-up (and wrap them in bags, of course). I can sleep on the couch until then.

Slept on the couch 2 nights ago: eaten alive.

Slept on the couch last night: I applied DE using a make-up brush and I have no suspected bites. Freak circumstance? Lots of conflicting info on how long DE takes to work, but to any newbie reading this, wear a freaking mask and goggles. I don't care if you smoke a pack of Lucky Strike unfiltereds a day, you do not want DE in your lungs.

Then again...with bites... the least reliable form of evidence....who knows!!

On the bright side, I have spread paranoia to all of my office, and I am happy to report that when they went to a conference in Columbus, OH, this weekend, they all reported stripping and inspecting their beds! I told them that I wasn't trying to scare them, but rather spare them. I will be attending the OCALI conference at the very hotel I think I contracted the bed bugs this coming week. I will be combing my room with a fine toothed can of whoop ass.

2. this means war

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 9:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

If anyone wants a clearer picture of the bed bugs I took on my iPhone, private message me and I will text it to you, provided you have a good history here in the forum.

I found them in the crease of duct tape over a mttress bag zipper. They were all in a row, like soldiers.

Yes, I've already thought of, and rejected, the idea of sleeping in a mummy like duct tape outfit.

3. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 10:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

What do you mean by "mattress zipper bag"? Do you mean an encasement? What brand did you use, as it obviously didn't work? It sounds like they were trying to get out and got stuck on the tape. Am I understanding this? Also, I sent you a P.M. earlier this week.

toledo

4. this means war

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 10:36:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, sorry about not getting back to you, but I did not know where to look for private messages. My landlord (I'm on 16th street downtown) is paying for Frame's pest control. They are using bedlam + something that begins with a p (I could look it up, but computer is on the verge of dying). Maybe steri-fab, Anyway, I'm giving Frame's a shot because they first started dealing with BBs ten years ago and they have a pretty good stat chart (85% successs eradication). Having finally found evidence of the suckers last night, it is time to step it up. I'm not buying a new mattress until after the second treatment.

The brand of casing I used was AllerEase (about $40 a pop at Wally World aka Wal*Mart). They tore when I removed them the first time, and tores again when I rebought them and put them on after treatment.

I bought my mattress from Abba's on Airport; possibility they resold me a mattress, but I think the likely culprit is a Columbus hotel. We should meet up for a drink and trade stories.

5. this means war

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 10:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

To clarify: the two I bought tore when taking them off, the two I bought after treatment tore when putting them on (hence the duct tape).

It is most definitely a two-man job to put them on and prevent tearing.

My landlord just dropped off some steri-fab.

6. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 13:16:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I would take those encasements back to Wal-Mart. That's ridiculous!

Frames impressed me when I went in. They have a microscope in the entryway and the walls are covered with pictures of all the different bugs. They also sell mattress encasements, Steri-Fab, climb-ups, etc. Unfortunately, they never returned any of my phone calls, after leaving two messages. I stopped in there again, a couple of weeks ago, to get a second opinion on some samples. They told me the head guy was in Hawaii for a conference of how to use freezing technolgies to get rid of BBs. Sounds like a waste of time, as I haven't read too many positive things about freezing.

7. this means war

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 13:20:50
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I would take those encasements back to Wal-Mart. That's ridiculous!
    Frames impressed me when I went in. They have a microscope in the entryway and the walls are covered with pictures of all the different bugs. They also sell mattress encasements, Steri-Fab, climb-ups, etc. Unfortunately, they never returned any of my phone calls, after leaving two messages. I stopped in there again, a couple of weeks ago, to get a second opinion on some samples. They told me the head guy was in Hawaii for a conference of how to use freezing technolgies to get rid of BBs. Sounds like a waste of time, as I haven't read too many positive things about freezing.

I called to find out precisely what they sprayed and a manager called me back. They had a lengthy "to do" list before they arrived, and they were pleased with my efforts. My landlord trusts them, and because he is paying I have no choice but to trust them as well.

As for the mattress casings -- I work 8-5 in Maumee, and it has been a drain to clean my room every night prior to them coming. I'm going to opt for the Mattress Firm for my next bed, because it is my understanding that they do not store old mattresses with new when delivering.

8. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 14:06:27
    #

Login to Send PM

No matter where you buy your new mattress, just make sure it is sealed in plastic and that there are no holes or rips in the plastic. I ordered a new mattress from Banner and I saw bugs inside the plastic. The plastic had air holes punched in it. I refused shipment and got my money back. I picked out a "name brand" mattress and boxspring at Elder Beerman and it's being delivered on Wed. I'll refuse delivery on on it if there are any holes in the plastic.

9. tforms1

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 23:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

How easy was it to see the bugs in the new mattress?
    There couldnt have been that many, since its a new mattress, and they couldnt have been there that long.

10. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 7:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

tforms1 - 7 hours ago  » 
    How easy was it to see the bugs in the new mattress?
    There couldnt have been that many, since its a new mattress, and they couldnt have been there that long.

The plastic had holes in it, which tipped me off to look carefully. I only saw three, but that's enough for me! I don't care how long they'd been there. I wasn't taking any chances.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,235 posts in 50,144 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago