Son moving to Louisville

(4 posts)
  1. worriedaboutbb

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2009 12:48:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My son is moving to Louisville and I want him to avoid any future problems when he gets there. Can you tell me the name of the apartments that are having problems in Louisville please.

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2009 13:13:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You can check on the Bedbug Registry. http://bedbugregistry.com/

You could hire a bedbug dog to check the unit before he moved in.
    You could look to see if there was any good furniture and mattresses tossed in the dumpster of the apartment building. That can be a sign of bedbugs.

...but even if you check every possible source and find there are no bedbugs in this apartment building right NOW, someone could bring them into the building a week after your son moves in.

One way to limit the exposure to bedbugs would be to move to a place where people neither have bedbugs now nor are exposed to them frequently in their lifestyle. So if you find an apartment in a building with only 2 units where the people living there don't travel or go out much (maybe a mother-daughter apartment attached to a private home where the owners rarely leave the house) that would be best. A place with low-turnover is good. A place with few units can be good. A place with good management is a necessity since it takes professional management to deal with bedbugs correctly.

If your son moves to Louisville to a place without bedbugs, if he then goes out to socialize in restaurants or parties in friends' apartments, if bedbugs are there, he could bring bedbugs back with him.

3. worriedaboutbb

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2009 13:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I called the apartment management and she said they haven't had a bed bug problem but have had alerts from higher up telling them to be on the look out since they are on the rise. I am sure they wouldn't tell me the truth if they did have them though.

4. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2009 15:48:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's getting harder and harder to find places that are bb free. Especially apts in buildings/highrise/lowrise etc. These days there are no guarantees he won't get them at some point as the previous poster mentioned.

I moved into my highrise apt a year ago from a bb hell-hole and within a month I had sealed up every single baseboard, electrical plate, vent, pipe I could see. I still worry and check my bed each week though. I even place duct tape over the outlets every night as soon as I unplug my stereo and lamp!

All your son can do is investigate the place first if possible (and yes they're not likely to tell you they have a problem,) then take precautions and be watchful.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982