Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Something I saw being done

(3 posts)
  1. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 16:47:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I was waiting at the cross walk for the light to change walking home last evening.
    Whizzing by went a full size pickup truck. The back was chock full of old mattresses and box springs.
    Even from a distance they looked pretty bad and dirty. They were not covered with anything.
    It really grossed me out and bothered me to be honest. The truck looked to be private, not commercial.

My thoughts as I witnessed this:

Best case (but doubtful) scenario: They were on the way to be discarded of properly.

Worst case: These will be “refurbished” (recovered) and resold with little or no treatment for bedbugs.

The mattresses could be from any number of apartments, shelters or hotels in the nearby area. I guess it is possible that someone was moving, too. But there were a lot of them for that.

I have to wonder if our society has any chance of stopping the spread of bedbugs unless some fairly drastic and permanent changes are made to way we do things and live. I don’t see that happening., at least not quickly. Kinda discouraging.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 18:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

This happens a lot in NYC, too. The mattress vans rove the streets at end of month and collect. They are re covered and re sold in neighborhood shops. There are some laws regulating them, but iirc, are inadequate and likely not well enforced. The local news did an expose a few years back. I spotted one on the street the other day. The newer outer cover had been ripped open to expose the older surface…and the 1,000s fecal marks.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 20:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually had a mattress company tell me that they resold the mattresses they picked up, and that someone was recovering them and selling or donating them. It made me sick, too, but it is perfectly legal.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,273 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl