Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

SOMEONE PLEASE POST THE PLASTIC BAG PROTOCOL IN ITS ENTIRITY AND EXACT ORDER

(6 posts)
  1. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 23:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I AM NOT SURE I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY, ESPCIALLY HANDELING THE CLOTHES THAT I BAG WHEN I WALK INTO MY HOME, ARE THESE CLOTHES TO BE BAGGED AS CLEAN? OR DO WE HAVE TO DRYCLEAN THEM WITH EVERY WEAR? I ALWAYS WASH WITH EVERY WEAR WASHABLES, BUT MY HUBAND AND I HAVE PROFESSIONAL JOBS AND WEAR SUITS. DRY CLEAN EVERY TIME OR NOT? WHAT ABOUT SHOES, BAG AT THE DOOR AND CHANGE INTO SHOES ONLY FOR WEAR IN THE HOUSE? HOW OFTEN DO THESE SHOES HAVE TO BE WASHED? CAN WE SPRAY THEM INSTEAD WITH A CONTACT KILLER? SHOULD WE ONLY WEAR SHOES IN THE INFESTED ROOM THEN CHANGE INTO CLEAN SHOES BEFORE WE WALK THROUGH THE DOORWAY (OUR BEDROOM IS THE PROBLEM DUE TO A RECENT TRIP) KNOW IT IS SIMPLE, BUT I NEED IT BROKEN DOWN FOR ME STEPS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ETC.

2. bedbugsenigma

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 0:06:23
    #

Login to Send PM

There is lots of info in the FAQs section. Yes, you should bag your clothes when you get in and I would wear them again to go out. I too wear suits when I work and am planning to use space bag hangers on a cloth rack in a room that is bug free (got a k-9 dog to be sure of that).

As for shoes, read this: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-the-shoes?replies=16

you can always find info by googling at the bottom of the page, having selected, Search the Bedbugger Forums.

I am still trying to figure what to do with my shoes. I may try the oven.

I wonder, and this is an important question, if bbs can't bite through the plastic of zip locks or space bags.

3. Bugless

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 1:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugsenigma asks: "I wonder, and this is an important question, if bbs can't bite through the plastic of zip locks or space bags."

Armed Forces Pest Management Board TECHNICAL GUIDE NO. 44 at

http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/tims/TG44/TG44.htm

Says, "Bed bugs have weak, flexible, piercing-sucking mouthparts, and weak, simple feet (tarsi) and claws. They are incapable of chewing or clawing through even a very thin coating of sealant or an unbroken layer of paper or cloth. Sealing a layer of almost any material in place, to completely cover a harborage opening, can halt bed bug movement."

My thanks to Nobugs and Nomo for the reference to Technical Guide No. 44.

Also, several posters have mentioned that they kept captured bedbugs in ziploc bags for some time. I have seen no mention of one escaping from a ziploc. (However, if a closed ziploc is ballooned out slightly with air, squeezing it will slowly deflate the ziploc bag.)

4. bedbugsenigma

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 2:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Bugless. That is very useful.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 2:28:44
    #

Login to Send PM

ziplocs are safe as long as they remain sealed.
    space bags too--though i have had some deflate, and one should be aware they can, and sometimes for no reason.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 21:05:30
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen-

There is a faq about how to handle clothes with comments from Liz about the bag protocol she used and from overbugged on what to do with delicates.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug