Someone Please Help - Constant Reinfestation

(3 posts)
  1. anxietyridden77

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 13 2013 8:54:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Experts, fellow victims, all I'm really asking for is an open ear and some advice. Above all I just want to know I will get through this as it's been 4 months and the ongoing issue has cause anxiety so deep within me I can't sleep, eat, or function normally.

I keep getting bitten no matter what I do. The issue is, the bites appear every month or so, and then both me and my girlfriend will go another 3-4 weeks without any signs, and then poof, they'll appear again.

The last time we saw a bite was on September 22nd, which was exactly a month after our 2nd extermination by a PCO. That is until this week, where upon moving to an entirely new apartment I now have a bite on my arm and my girlfriend woke up yesterday with two bites on her hand, in a row.

So far the passives have nothing, I'm running an active in the room but we're also still sleeping there. It has nothing as well.

When we moved, we started packing roughly a month after having not gotten bit. I inspected almost everything we packed, obviously disassembled the bed before moving and didn't even see any evidence that bugs had EVER been on the bedframe. I assume they were in the boxspring which was encased, and actually did not make the move since it didn't fit up the stairs in the new apartment.

Our new roommate had a rat problem in his old place, which is why we teamed up and decided to move to a new location and start over. Maybe I didn't take the necessary precautions, or maybe he didn't. Could it now be fleas? He claims he was getting bitten by them in his old place due to the rats bringing them in. Seeing the individual nature of the bites and they're not on our ankles/legs but two in a row on her hand and one on my arm, seems more unlikely.

I'm having a hard time accepting that they came with us. It seems so impossible. But I also can't explain why we're getting bit other than they survived in our clothing or bedding somehow and they followed us. There was also a couple washing/drying everything they own in the laundromat the other day and I swear the guy's scarf touched my backpack. I'm overreacting but how am I still getting bitten?

I know all I can really do is place the passives and wait. If anyone else is having these issues please respond, and hopefully we can discuss it and you'll feel a bit better.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 13 2013 9:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One of the analogies I use with clients with sporadic infestations is that its a lot like the film sliding doors, in that its rare to get bedbugs from a daily source once you are aware of the issue and then it becomes about tracking down and tackling the accidental contact.

It can be almost impossible to do without understanding a lot more detail of peoples lives than we re often prepared to reveal online but some of the common sources I have seen overt he years are:

• Work locations
    • Infrequently used public locations
    • Public transport
    • Entertainment locations
    • Restaurants
    • Infrequent visitor to the home

This infestation dynamic is supported by the fact that you have moved and appear to be still coming into contact with bedbugs.

Yes it can be frustrating to try and work out that source, in fact I had a long chat with someone about it this morning and helping them to reach a better understanding of the issue so they can move on.

If you search fro things I have written about "local sources" it may help.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. anxietyridden77

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 13 2013 11:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David and thanks for your response.

This is indeed the conclusion I came up with as well, I will walk you through my process so far and maybe you can give me some additional clues as to where to look.

The only places I've revisited since moving that I come in to frequent contact are:
    -work
    -my one friend's house
    -my friend's parents house
    -my girlfriend's work
    -my car
    -gf takes the subway

I work at a laundromat, that was my #1 at first. But I work with two other people and keep in constant contact with them and they haven't been having an issue. 4 months in, if I was picking them up, so would they as they sit in the same chair as me. I don't think they're lying. I've also inspected and found nothing. I continue to put my bag into a plastic bag when I arrive and take it out when I leave for the day regardless.

I have band practice at my band's house two days a week. This seems possible and I will further inspect the basement where I sit down there next time I'm there. But again, 4 months in and not a single complaint from any of their five roommates or anyone who has slept down there since. They are well aware of the issue I'm having.

Band's parents house, again highly unlikely as I go there rarely and no one who lives there has mentioned anything.

My car was used to transport infested laundry and I found fecal in it. I had it exterminated a month ago, seems impossible it'd still be the source. I have a passive in the car on the front of the seat and it's clear.

I can't speak for my girlfriend's inspection skills but according to her, her chair and desk area have no signs at work. She takes the Subway and might be coming into contact with someone with bugs regularly but the original source was my old neighbor. To me, unless we just got infested again from someone completely different by random chance, we're still reinfesting ourselves with bugs from our original source, meaning I'd have taken them somewhere and keep bringing them home.

Even so I drive to and from these places in a recently (within a month) exterminated car and he used residual powders.

It's got to be one of these places, either that or a stray was hanging out in our kitchen in the old apartment, hanging in the clothes we had in tupperware, and being over 6 feet from the bed (the entire apartment was one room) somehow just hung out there until we moved. Seems unlikely as well. Wish I could find them. I will keep looking. Maybe I'll bring my active monitor to work and run it overnight by the desk and see if anything turns up.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,813 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen