Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Somebody please help me..

(11 posts)
  1. aggressive pumpkin

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 8:04:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a young girl (teen years) with a bed bug infestation in my room. They used to be in my mother's room but due to her constant use of foggers they've ditched her room and went to mine. I'm anxious and I cannot sleep. I basically procrastinate going to sleep every night and if i do lay in bed, I'm sitting with a light close at hand. I haven't slept a night's sleep in probably 4 days, I only sleep in the day now and I think they take that little opportunity to wreak havoc on my body. We've tore apart my room, cleaning and steaming the carpet and vacuuming the bed, my mother thinks that's done the job but i'm still being bitten. All over my torso and legs (they've stopped biting my arms since i started wearing long sleeves). The psychological toll it's taking on me is crazy. I have panic attacks and nightmares about bed bugs, I cant talk to anyone about it because I'm afraid they'll avoid me in fear of these bloodsucking monsters. we've recently bought DE but my mom didn't do a very good job of spreading it and I'm not allowed to touch use it even though i have the urge to just put it everywhere.The worst part about this infestation is i see no evidence of it besides fecal matter on my bed sheets and bites, I've seen no eggs, no actual bugs, no cast skins, no smell, nothing. On top of this I'm never allowed to leave the house much so I'm isolated with these monsters. school is about to start again and i want to resolve this before it becomes truly stressful.. My mom refuses to hire an exterminator due to costs and i just don't know what to do anymore..is there any way i can battle these things without an exterminator and put my mind at peace? Please and thank you..

2. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 8:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm about ready to get a pro myself, been battling alone for two weeks and I feel like it's getting worse. Plus a 3rd home in our tiny cul-de-sac now has them so I'm a bit panicked. Anyway, my last effort is to go for their nests, which I haven't found yet, but you said fecal matter so I wanted to link you to this video that I saw that shows bed bug inspections. Some of it is truly gross, but around 4:24 is a neat picture. In my case since I can't find the hideaways even with help, I think now I need a pro.

https://youtu.be/6QeQmRHZe9s

3. scbbc81

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 9:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do if your mother refuses to deal with it - I'd say buy some of your own foggers yourself to hopefully force them back into her room so that she has to deal with them again. Check everywhere for where they are nesting - They don't only hide in the mattress (Pillows, box springs, dressers, closets, heck even alarm clocks and TV's)

With DE be sure to not have it spread too thick or they won't walk on it and just around it. - A very thin light dusting except in cracks and outlets where you can't apply it gently.

So sorry your mother won't deal with it properly - They are so stressful and do cause severe anxiety when you are scared to go to sleep in your own bed. If you have your own washers and dries you can also try washing and drying everything on the hottest settings and tell your mother you are washing and drying everything every day (This costs money, electricty, water [and gas if your water heater and dryer is gas]) in the long run she may change her mind on an exterminator if she has to keep paying more expensive bills from constant washing and drying.

Edit: If she rents the house and doesn't own it the landlord may be required to pay for the extermination himself by law - but that depends on where you live.

4. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 9:35:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you checked your curtains? The nests in my bedrooms were in the curtains and not in the beds, which I wasn't expecting. If you tore your room apart, then I'm sure you have but just throwing it out there.

5. scbbc81

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 9:44:15
    #

Login to Send PM

OpenMyEyes - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Have you checked your curtains? The nests in my bedrooms were in the curtains and not in the beds, which I wasn't expecting. If you tore your room apart, then I'm sure you have but just throwing it out there.

That's a good idea - They can hide and nest pretty much anywhere.

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 10:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Always check the curtains.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  7. basementdweller

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 11:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a bed a good eight inches from the window and the curtains were INFESTED with bed bugs. Towards the top where the material bunches together are prime grounds for nesting places. I washed the curtains and the next day two bed bugs were back on it like it's their room.

I greatly recommend you ditch fabric based curtains for smooth plastic blinds. Bed bugs hate any super smooth surfaces.

8. aggressive pumpkin

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 11:38:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have any curtains in my room, just the window, but thanks for the advice, I'll check the curtains around the house for safe measure.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 17:42:18
    #

Login to Send PM

scbbc81 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Unfortunately there isn't much you can do if your mother refuses to deal with it - I'd say buy some of your own foggers yourself to hopefully force them back into her room so that she has to deal with them again.

Scbbc81,

I know you're trying to help but recommending foggers is poor advice. They're known to not solve bed bug problems and to possibly spread the problem.

Please do not try and give treatment advice to others.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 18:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Aggressive pumpkin,

I am sorry you are dealing with bed bugs. Scbbc81 is correct that in many places, landlords have to hire a professional to treat a rental home for bed bugs. If your family rents, you should look into the local laws. You can private message me (PM) if you want help finding the local laws.

If that does not apply in your situation best thing I think is to try and get your mother on board with treatment. We have links to a lot of articles which may help convince her that bed bugs need a knowledgeable approach:
    http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-resources/.

Foggers, as I noted, don't work well.

Another way to help get your mother on board may be to talk to a trusted adult who may be able to help you convince her-- a relative who is aware of bed bugs, or is younger, or even a teacher or other outside adult your mother respects, may help.

11. scbbc81

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 6:23:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 12 hours ago  » 

scbbc81 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Unfortunately there isn't much you can do if your mother refuses to deal with it - I'd say buy some of your own foggers yourself to hopefully force them back into her room so that she has to deal with them again.

Scbbc81,
    I know you're trying to help but recommending foggers is poor advice. They're known to not solve bed bug problems and to possibly spread the problem.
    Please do not try and give treatment advice to others.

I wasn't recoomending a fogger just to reccomenend it. She said her mother was using them and that is what drove them into her room. It was a more of a try to drive them back into her mothers room so her mother has to deal with them again since her mother isn't actually dealing with the issue so that they start bothering her mother again since her options are limited at her age. Read it in context please.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,636 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback