Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

some people still think it's a dirty thing

(10 posts)
  1. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 11:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

This makes me so mad. I slept at a friends house before I knew I had an infestation. I suggested he check or cover that bed just in case. He got mad at me and said - "We washed the sheets after you left! It's not like we'd just leave them on after company" okay! that's great, but they are bed bugs for one, not sheet bugs - duh! & of course we all know they don't even need to be in the bed.

This seems to imply that he thinks I got the bugs because I don't wash my bedding enough! I've seen other people's bathtubs - my house is pretty damned clean.

Before I blogged about it he thought that bed-bugs were like dust or skin mites. Obviously he has no knowlege, but instead of learning he is just clinging to the ignorant pre-suppostion that I'm a scumbag.

Why do ppl do this? Is it so that they can fool themselves into thinking they are immune? This really ticks me off. People really need to pull their head out of the sand (or that other place their head may be lodged) or this thing is just gunna get worse.

grrrrr -

thanks for listening to me vent - phew! I feel better.

2. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 12:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

You know, bugbattler, I think you nailed it on the head. They want to believe that they are immune. The world would be a easier place if only dirty people - who deserve it - get bed bugs.

I actually hear these types of comments all the time from neighbours. In their minds, there has to be a logical reason as to why the six apartments are infested. And they refuse to check their own apartments, aggresively stating "there's no way I have bed bugs". Grrrr..

Let's start a thread called "Stupid things people have told me".

Here are some of my contributions:

"Just open your windows. The cold will kill them."
    "You're probably not showering enough. Do you shower every day?"
    "Did you wash your sheets?"
    "Just move. It's that simple."
    "Spray RAID in the air to kill them."
    "I know I don't have them because I bought a new comforter."

3. Bugged_in_MD

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 12:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I too thought at first only dirty people get them, now i know no one is immune.

I have also heard, Just throw the beds out. Wow is it really that simple?!

4. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 13:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I too have gotten the - "just throw your beds out" & "leave the windows open"

Once my landlady said: "Bedbugs are a (ah hem) personal problem. Probably you got them from your boyfriend."

My sister thinks it's because my neighborhood is bad. (eh?? I live in a very wealthy/ low-crime area - not that I'm wealthy, I'm just a really good bargain shopper) Also she rolled her eyes at me because I don't want to go antiquing.

And of course, people still think they can pick out who does and doesn't have bedbugs by sight. I must look infested then, nice!

5. dottie

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 13:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Make that A WHOLE LOT of people think it's a dirty thing.

I am old enough to remember when head lice were a shameful thing. It would be whispered about when a child was sent home from school with a note saying they had head lice. But nowadays, well shoot, there are head lice remedy ads all over the ladies' magazines like it is just another problem.

I never put much thought into bed bugs. To me they were like zebras. I was aware they existed but I've never looked closely on how they operate.

6. dottie

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 13:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe it would help if the name were changed from bed bugs to something else. The mere word "Leprosy" did and still can make people shudder with it's stigma. But "Hansen's Disease" sounds like a problem but no stigma. Yet it is the same thing.

7. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 13:43:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, Dottie, let's just hope that Zebra's don't infest your home. You are completely ill-prepared!

8. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 16:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I'd much rather have those zebras! Even a herd full of zebras.
    a) you'd see them coming
    b) you'd hear them coming
    c) you could just close the door!

9. BuggedinJerseyCity

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 11:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I've actually had the opposite experience. Most of my friends are very sympathetic, and never suggested it was because I'm dirty. My mother did suggest I open a window to kill them though.

My parents also told me I was being naive to think moving to another apartment would get rid of them, as if every apartment in a city has bedbugs! I was very angry.

WorstFear-I agree, zebras would be better, at least they're nice to look at. Not sure how sharing a bed would go though...:)

10. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 12:36:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Zebras! I would love to have zebras - my cat would be terrified, but think of the fun: galloping around your living room, jumps over the couch, you could set it up like an equestrian show. I just started laughing at the thought of a zebra 'galloping' around my miniscule living room. At least I have a balcony so I could let them out for fresh air...

hmmm, Im gonna google 'Zebra for sale' right now.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956