Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

So what did they do in the Olden Days?

(18 posts)
  1. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 17:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

A friend recalls her grandmother 'treating' mattress springs by running a candle under them. (Mattress springs are like a box spring without the box. Just metal springs. Maybe two of us here remember these. )

I recall this from the early 60's in Brooklyn. I was a little kid. I was over another kid's house--we all went from house to house if our parents let us indoors. It must have been a sub-zero day. Anyway, I happened into the mother, an Irish immigrant, doing something most interesting to me (for about 3 minutes.) It wasn't as interesting, distressing or as sexy as Mouse Trap which is probably what was going on in the living room. She was soaking a large brick-shaped tan soap (lye?) in a plate of water in the bathroom so that the 'bottom' was mushy'ish. I followed her to the bedroom where she'd flip on the light switch and in near lightning speed (I need a word here!) stabbed it/mashed it all over the bed picking up the bugs that I learned then and there were bedbugs. Then she turned the light off went back to the bathroom, scraped them into the toilet, and put the bar to soak again. For all I know she did it all evening. Poor misguided thing. There was no hysteria in the rest of the families and nobody else got them and by today's mythology (?) we should have, as sure as day.

And our favorite--"The Ancient Hungarian Bed Bug Curse."

Looking forward to more stories.

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 17:31:12
    #

Login to Send PM

My 80 yr. old mother-in-law said they used to pour kerosene around the edges of the bed. Now that is gross!

3. benbit

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 17:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know, kerosene sounds pretty good. My Mom said that during the depression, if there were lice, the hair was washed in kerosene (or gasoline I think too). Ask me if I'd endure that if it meant a sure riddence of the sneaky little bastards. Yeah, I would, hoping there was no enthusiastic supporter with a match stick handy to do the job up right (possibly with malicious intent towards me) . I suspect that bed bugs in that era were quite common as I assume that was pre-DDT.

4. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 18:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Please see my recent reply to the "low level infestation for years" post (which I just bumped). Great minds think alike! I was just reminiscing there earlier today about what I'd read on this topic.

Also, you have me thinking about those springs. I've seen them, and it has crossed my mind to wonder what kind of jerk decided they should build a wood-and-cloth bug maze around something like that?

In fact, find me the creator of the wooden or satin (or whatever) headboard, and I'd like to have a few rude words with that person as well. I did read somewhere that in olden times metal frames were considered more "sanitary."

5. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 18:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Disclaimer: We are not recommending any of these procedures, except maybe the Hungarian Bed Bug (and rodent) curse.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/ancient-hungarian-bed-bug-curse#post-38306

I forgot how to do that tag/link thing. You know, where you link via terms rather than pasting.

6. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 19:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

My dad who lived with these things for 5 years in his dorm told me they used to flush out the bugs every night with some sort of heat from their beds only to wake up with gizillion bites every night since they were falling from ceilings. The walls etc were washed with kerosine or gasoline or something like that often... My mom said when they found these in her house, they washed, applied pesticide and never saw them again. I think looking back I remember, 2x a year big clean ups when they washed everything and cleaned every single part of the house. They also stored clothes, sheets, coats etc anything fabric, washed, ironed with mothballs. I remember my gran's house always smelled mothballs and we used to think that was the smell of clean :-)... Also I remember we never had self assembly furniture. Dressers, closets (yes not build in, actual closet that you buy) were all very nicely treated finished wood so there were less cracks for them to hide. I remember taking all my stuff out of my closet and cleaning in side out often too... I don't know, i think there isn't a magic answer. It was just hard work and being vigilant. They worked hard, cleaned hard and fight with these bugs and lived their lives. Me thinks i act spoiled sometimes... Falling apart because of bugs... Seriously... My parents are shocked since this is the first time i sound like at the verge of a break down... They are also shocked that how many of us in here keep on saying we have never seen an adult bug but convinced that we have them. My dad keeps on telling me, what do you mean "I don't see them and it is normal". They live around you bed and they bite you and they stink. You should have seen some by now. Well he is right.... I wish i could get me one of those sane brains....

7. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 19:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

yes a friend of mine's father said they used kerosene in their climbups and just lived with them. ugh!

8. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 19:22:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, NYCYN, for the disclaimer; you are a better woman than I and always the voice of reason!

Control Freak, did I ever tell you that I like your username? People also can't believe it was bugs that brought me to my knees. Now, I did say to someone once, "No, you don't understand! I wish one of these little bastards would show its beedy little fact!" But, no -- that was a lie.

I neither wanted to see nor not see them, you know? So I just figured death would be a good compromise. (Their death! Their death! Not mine! Not advocating suicide here, people. Jeez).

9. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 19:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks RE :-). By the way why "reluctant"?... Couple of days ago i told my husband "you know how i like saying i told you so more then anything else and i gotta be right alllll the time, well in this case i would prefer to be wrong for the rest of our lives and never be able to say i told you so rather then seeing one of these suckers"... If that didn't make him understand the seriousness of my freak out, i don't know what would ;-)...

10. headbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 22:00:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I have gone completely MENTAL because of these damn bugs! He was driving behind me on the way to an event and saw me scratching my head like crazy! He said he was laughing at me because he knows he does the same thing. Or how about this one...........hubby comes to bed late after I am sound asleep and has a MAG flashlight panning the bed before he will even consider getting in! I wake up and am like, "what the hell is going on" but then I realize poor guy is scared to death! Cannot say I blame him as the bright light shines in my face. Takes 2 ambien CR per night to even consider sleep.

I even have my feet up on the chair as I am typing this affraid to put feet on the floor even though we have been given a clean bill of health via snoop dog last week.

I was told that the pest control can help with bed bugs but not HEAD BUGS. ......they seem to have taken up permanent residence. I truly believe this is emotionally crushing. I went on zanax (spelling) just to be able to go to work so mental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 22:09:49
    #

Login to Send PM

So anybody have olden times bed bug stories?

12. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 22:25:51
    #

Login to Send PM

headbugs - 24 minutes ago  » 

I even have my feet up on the chair as I am typing this affraid to put feet on the floor even though we have been given a clean bill of health via snoop dog last week.

Ive taken to reading the internet from the tub (without water!!!)

13. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 22:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 34 minutes ago  » 
    So anybody have olden times bed bug stories?

Yeah! I wanna hear some more! I like stories.

I hope that some day soon I can tell the children that I've never planned on having, "Yes, back in olden times, we used to misuse DE and pay PCOs thousands of dollars -- you know, like, back when bbs actually still existed, before a bunch of crazy drugged-out sleep-deprived people who had all kinds of fun on the internet went on a killing spree to actually EXTERMINATE them all. Before the bb vaccine and self-packtiting bed, even! This was even way back when you actually had to put headphones in your ears to listen to this huge thing called an iPod instead of just calling the song up from inside of your brain. Back then we used to have this thing called Bedbugger.com -- and email and Facebook -- and get this: you actually had to get on either this gigantic thingcalled a Blackberry or this other even more ridiculously huge thing called a laptop -- and TYPE; you couldn't even just send something by thinking it back then! Imagine!"

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 23:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

A lot of old time stories are in threads tagged history.

Check them out!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  15. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 23:58:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard the used to seal themselves up into GIANT TUPPERWARE!!!
    http://www.vbox7.com/play:30f6b81f (skip to 2 min)

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 0:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 16 minutes ago  » 
    I heard the used to seal themselves up into GIANT TUPPERWARE!!!

Ah yes. The mom simply says, "sleep tight." No need to warn about bed bugs.

17. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 0:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Reluctant...your kids will probably say: "Fun on the Internet??? Those gigantic lap top machines and clunky ipads??? Oh mommmm, That's so old fashioned."

Cause by then maybe everyone will have little microchips implanted into their temples and we'll be able to see what's on the "screen" from inside our heads by focusing our vision inside the head and not outside...(we'll still use outside vision to see outside stuff like real birds, trees, etc)...i want to explain this idea better. So imagine that the implanted chip has everything that our lap tops have....and what you want to read is projected onto the inside of the front of your skull or somehow projected in front of your eyes in space. ...and you can look and read and focus your vision on the google search engine (for instance) and think of the term you want to look up and when the results appear you can look down them and select the one you want and when you tighten an eye muscle or blink or something that link opens and if it's the information you want, you can absorb the part of that link that you want to save into your biological hard drive (your brain) as a memory.

@nycyn....Is this the stuff?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tJ5Oc6OJn9k/RhrEJMb92ZI/AAAAAAAAAZc/QYVBv5hClWE/s400/fels_naptha.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ncccha.blogspot.com/2007/04/samuel-simeon-fels-1860-1950.html&usg=__zhrdR0fl36pd7K4y4Yz2zcxUkWY=&h=279&w=295&sz=71&hl=en&start=2&sig2=YcGyxh-Tr2A9FhmSZouXnw&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=wiC29N2VdyHfYM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnaptha%2Bsoap%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ACEW_enUS364US364%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=aljKTOu5IcP98AaFxs2KAQ

@Headbugs and everyone else: Remember when the only time you took a flashlight to bed was to spend time in private under the covers with this guy at night when everyone else was asleep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

by the way...i never knew the history of Alfred's beginnings and look forward to reading this more closely.

18. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 2:49:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle--you are the Queen of the Search Engines!

And to answer your question, very possibly.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82