So very confused [a: may be bed bug or closely related species ]

(22 posts)
  1. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 22:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Long story short, my daughter was diagnosed with scabies... Treated all of us, still had an issue. Was told to check her bed. Found two adult bugs. Pest control came out and said he saw a bug in each stage of life on the bottom of her box spring. We went to a friends for a week with a few clothes (Washed everything in hot water and dried it all for 90 minutes each load on highest heat setting) For a week we never got bites. Apartment was treated on a saturday with heat treatment. We came back sunday night. I put a bed bag on my mattress and box spring, bought new sheets, threw away all stuffed animals and clothes that were in the apartment. We slept in my bed for almost a week. I put bed bags on both of my kids' mattresses and box springs after vacuuming them. New sheets, pillows and blanket for each. Sheets and blankets were washed prior to placing on beds. Pillows went into pillow protectors. This sunday night I put my kids back in their beds. Monday, no bites. This morning, I go to wake up my daughter (6 y/o) and there it was. A very much dead red bed bug laying right next to a blood stain on her BRAND NEW SHEET along with a small bite mark on her ankle. Pest control told me there weren't enough bugs on her bed (they were only on her bed) for it to be considered an infestation. Yet somehow there is a bug???? I'm guessing it was between the second and third life stage because of it's color and size. I pulled up the carpet corners, pulled back the floor boards. NO SIGNS OF BUGS!!! My daughter's bed, prior to and after the heat treatment had no signs of bugs other than the live bugs that were on her boxspring. I'm confused. I have done everything I can think of. Our clothes never touch the floor neither do our blankets... Someone please help

2. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 22:26:10
    #

Login to Send PM

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME????

3. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 22:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't continue doing this. My stress is at an all time high. I'm having heart palpitations and my anxiety is through the roof. I have a 6 y/o and a 7 y/o. They are paying the price as well. I don't want them sitting on the floor, touching the walls, no blankets on the floor, no socks on the beds or clothes on the beds that have touched the floors. I feel like every time they come home from school there could be bed bugs on their backpacks or in the library books. On my shoes or their shoes. In my mail box... I'm too afraid to let anyone into the apartment and I'm too scared to go to anyone's house/apartment. My dad told me I was being psycho. I'm paranoid and I'm worried about what this is doing to my kids. I find myself wishing the building would just burn down and no one would get hurt. Then I could start over at a new place. But no one can guarantee that I wont deal with this again.

4. hypervigilant

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 22:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Even one bug is considered an infestation. Maybe your PCO meant that because the bug was dead when you found it, there are no signs of a current infestation. However, the blood stain and bite mark suggest that it might have been killed by being squished post-feeding.

Sorry to say it, but others have posted about heat treatments failing. Did your PCO provide you with any warranty?

And if you have pictures of the bedbug/stain you found, can you post it here? That might help experts to be able to comment on your situation.

5. librarybookgrl

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 22:52:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this helps, but there is help out there. I would certainly call pest control back. I'm sure one of the pros will chime in. There is great support on this forum. Please try to stay calm. Sometimes it takes time but you will win.

6. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 23:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

How do I post a pic?

7. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 23:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

The exterminator hasn't responded about the dead bug yet. He is supposed to come out Thursday.

8. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 23:37:59
    #

Login to Send PM

9. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 23:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

10. hypervigilant

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 0:03:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi hwalter,

Hang in there. It must be awful to be a parent and watch your kids get bitten. If you're concerned that an outside source might be re-introducing the bugs into your home, try quarantining items if possible or heat treating (with dryer/bedbug heater like a Packtite).

Any idea on what the possible source of the infestation was? This can be hard to pinpoint, but there are sometimes typical suspects - a recent hotel stay, a recent overnight guest, acquiring used furniture.

11. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 0:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

All furniture we have is used but we have had for 6 months. Her bites started the first week of January. Only on her bed, and only when she sleeps in her bed. We will see how tonight goes since I have the three of us in my full size bed. The bites started on a school week. No one has stayed the night and we only stayed the night at a friends after we discovered the bugs. I had a panic attack and couldn't be in my own apartment. It's either coming from a surrounding apartment, or from my daughters school. I called the school to notify them and they said "um ma'am, bedbugs don't come from school." Talking down to me like I'm crazy. Well, bedbugs don't show up out of nowhere either. It doesn't make any sense and I have this overwhelming urge to move to Canada if only my ex would let me. I'm so confused and I'm worried that the exterminator is going to tell me that it was a lone wolf that the heat treatment didn't kill right away. If one survived then others could have too. I told them I wanted them to check all other apartments but they didn't.

12. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 0:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

hypervigilant - 15 minutes ago  » 
    It must be awful to be a parent and watch your kids get bitten.

Yes, it's very difficult. I lose sleep, she loses sleep, we all stress over it. My kids shouldn't feel concerned about stuff like this and they certainly shouldn't be worried about me. We haven't stayed at any hotels.

13. hypervigilant

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 0:28:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Hwalter,

Keep in mind that if your daughter's bed is the one that's infested, and there is no one sleeping in it, the bugs may migrate to where you are sleeping (they detect the carbon monoxide you exhale).

In terms of the source, if it's a neighbor or your daughter's school, theoretically the stray bug could be re-introduced from the source. Is there a particular wall shared with a neighbor that is near your daughter's bed? Have you talked to your neighbors?

Is your daughter seeing any new bites while at school? Do they store the coats together? Might be worth giving your daughter a plastic ziploc to store her coat, possibly.

The exterminator shouldn't say that there are any lone wolves. A heat treatment is supposed to exterminate all existing bugs/eggs, I believe - since heat is not a residual killer.

14. hypervigilant

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 0:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, this is just a tip to deal with bites - cut your daughter's nails and toenails as short as you can. Unconsciously scratching during sleep will make the bite reactions worse. Put on some caladryl or other anti-itch/drying type ointment.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 2:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi hwalter,

I have some questions:

When you say "heat treatment," do you mean your entire home was heated to 140F for four or more hours? I want to make sure we're talking about this and not another use of heat (one room treated with heat-- which won't likely work, or steam heat treatment which can work but is labor intensive and might need repeated attempts, etc.).

Did the PCO talk about adding any dusts or chemicals after the heat? (Actually, bed bugs sometimes survive structural heat treatment, so lots of PCOs spray or dust as a backup. At least one heat treatment expert claimed they don't survive "long", but user reports suggest some may just plain survive.)

I can't see the bug in the image clearly, but maybe an expert can. I have edited the title to attract an expert's bug ID skills.

Try as best you can to stay calm. It will only help you address the situation. Let's try to get confirmation this is a bed bug and then you can ask the PCO to come back.

(Did they give you a guarantee?)

I have heard experts suggest a single bed bug would not be considered "an infestation" to them. That said, one bed bug DOES need to be addressed, if it's alive.

This one was dead. If it died of natural causes (as opposed to from being rolled over or squashed), that is actually a good sign.

Finally, skin reactions tell us little because they can have other causes and even if caused by bed bugs, typically are delayed reactions -- hours, days, even a week or more longer.

And looking at pictures skin reactions does not confirm they are from bed bugs. Instead, we need to focus on the visual evidence (bed bugs, cast skins, fecal stains, eggs).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 8:18:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbug but not clear enough to see what it is. You always get a better picture if you take it at 90 degrees to the sample from above, below and from the side.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  17. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 8:40:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear hwalter,

We need a better photo to determine what critter that actually is. If you have trouble uploading photos, feel free to e-mail it to me for a quick turn around.

Some things to consider:

> Where are you located?

> Was the heat treatment conducted by a pest pro that YOU hired or was this service done by the landlord?

> Did the pest pro confirm live activity of bed bugs and show you specimen within your apartment?

> Did the MD conduct a positive confirmation of scabies and show you same? (Note that scabies are actually mites. On dogs it is called mange and these mites may be transmitted from person to person. Here is additional information below. Note that you can find much information on scabies via online sources as well.

Scabies (from Latin: scabere, "to scratch"),[1] also known colloquially as the seven-year itch,[2] is a contagious skin infection caused by the mite Sarcoptes scabiei. The mite is a tiny, and usually not directly visible, parasite which burrows under the host's skin, which in most people causes an intense itching sensation caused by an allergic response. The infection in animals other than humans is caused by a different but related mite species, and is called sarcoptic mange.

> Was your daughter's entire bed frame disassembled, inspected and treated prior to re-use?

> Were any insecticide products applied in conjunction with the heat treatment done in your apartment?

> Did the pest pro provide you with service documentation and a warranty?

Please advise on the above such that we can do our best to help you.

pjb

18. hwalter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 8:46:47
    #

Login to Send PM

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/derbyluv/media/image.jpg1_zps49gmuqi2.jpg.html
    I zoomed in on the image myself. What I'm seeing is a leg, and on the body a black spot in the center. After a couple weeks of no bites because we were all in my bed due to the flu and "scabies" which was a misdiagnosis, I put my daughter back in her bed and she wakes up the next morning with 8 bites on her arms and near the armpit. I have become very familiar with what the bugs bite look like on my daughter. We do have another unit that is attached on my daughters wall. One of the building managers lives in there. She used to live in my unit then moved out. There was another general an that lived in my unit then moved to another in the same building. Her response to me was "no offense but I keep my apartment clean so they aren't coming from my apartment." As she continued to express to me how gross and disgusting it is that the apartment attached to hers has the bugs. as for the heat treatment, they can in with big heaters and they were here for 8 hours or so says my neighbors. My friend came in after they left and said my apartment felt like a sauna

19. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 8:51:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear hwalter,

Check out this short video where you can see live moving bed bugs, nymphs of various ages and bed bug eggs too:

pest-consultant.com/videos.html

In the meanwhile, I'm looking at your last posted photo(s) above.

pjb

20. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 8:56:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry hwalter but that photo is simply not clear enough for me to tell you what it is exactly.

Note that I saved it to my own pc to enlarge it for better view however, when doing so the photo becomes "pixilated" and unclear.

As such, I would need better photos or for you to mail me the specimen.

If you're up for taking better photos do this:

> Assure the photo is well lighted and in good focus.

> Use the Macro setting on your camera.

> Take several photos to include: ventral, dorsal and lateral views.

> Select the best of each photo view.

> E-mail the photos to me.

Let me know if any additional questions or concerns.

pjb

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 19:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

It actually does look like a cimicid, but not an adult. What looks like the front part of its head is the right shape for the front part of a bed bug head. The antennae and what would be eyes look right, too. Granted it's not really in pristine condition nor in great focus. Yes, it would be best if you could take pictures of it at different angles and post. Very important to set the phone or camera at highest resolution and largest picture size. I've seen a few bed bugs that happen to have the body all reddened, but it appears to be in the body and not the surface of the exoskeleton.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  22. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2015 21:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree Lou but it would be good to have a better photo.

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,213 posts in 45,463 topics over 138 months by 19,977 of 20,741 members. Latest: nightmareinct, JohnIsSoTiredOfBegBugs, acar30