Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

So insecticides are odorless?

(6 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 16:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO arrived today, asking for a source of water to mix up something in his tank. He also a white powder, which caused a cloud of dust just as I was handing him the screwdriver to take off the rest of the faceplates. None of the guys wore masks, either. Is any of this odd?

2. benbit

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 16:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe pest control people are really robots and therefore, unaffected unless they get liquid in their joints, which then rust. The newer titanium models spout longer life.

Seriously though, I do wonder if Pest Control people become a little too comfortable because they are working with these chemicals daily. And prehaps a little lax. I'm not accusing any professional pest control person of being sloppy! I'm just wondering....

It would be interesting to see a study that would track certain illnesses that occur in pest control personnel as compared to the rest of the population: are they more susceptible to, for instance, say certain cancers.

Perhaps the powder is inert and harmless until combined with water. But, I have never see any of them wearing masks when mixing or spraying. Personnaly, I'd opt for the HazMat suit.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 16:58:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It does actually also depend a lot on what you are using.

I actually agree that we can get a little relaxed around chemicals with time but part of it is the fact that with years of experience also comes a natural ability to control what you do. I walk out of most jobs dry other than the sweat I have worked up. This is mainly because I know exactly where what I am spraying will go and how it may bounce or absorb into the surfaces.

However with some chemicals I used n the past I would wear a full face mask and respirator as otherwise I would start to sneeze and my eyes would water.

If used in sensible quantities most insecticides are formulated to have low smells and no-one wants their home to be left smelling like a chemistry lab.

I would be a lot more cautious around dusts though since they are formulated to be highly mobile in the air.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. benbit

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 17:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

A professional's Reply----that is wonderful!!! I do have a question regarding treatments, which I hope you will answer. With bed bug sprays, one must remove pets (cats and dogs and others I would suppose) from the area being treated and they must keep them away from the treated areas until it dries. Are pets safe after that? Let me be specific (sorry dog lovers)---I have cats.

5. benbit

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 17:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

PS, I will closely moniter your other posts as I am hopeful for more information. Thanks.

6. Ohmygawd

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 2 2010 1:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also very worried about my cat when treatment begins. He really likes to claw at our bed (even will climb underneath into the box spring which he tore open years ago), the couch, and what is worse, he claws at the baseboards and our base heaters. To me, this seems like areas likely to be treated with chemicals, and I really don't want him to be exposed.

We're thinking about driving two days back to our hometown to leave him with family until the problem is over. Obviously this is not ideal and probably paranoid.

I hope our PCO comes soon so they can explain the process better and alleviate or confirm our worries.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714