Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

So helpless in Los Angeles

(34 posts)
  1. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 19:16:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I was so excited when I moved out of my parents apartment to downtown LA...got a place at an old COMPACT apartment building that used to be a hotel, not in the nicest area but it was within walking distance to work and provide me something that I desperately needed then - INDEPENDENCE. Fastforward 8 months I'm now living in nightmares of bedbugs.

Little did I know how bed bugs can hide in my small 315sqft compact studio. My apartment may be small, but it sure as heck provides tons of hiding places to the bugs. I've already had 2 fumigations done by an unknown pest control company (the property manager hired them; I'm not allowed to contact them and were not there for the last two fumigations). Things got much better after the 2nd fumigation, I actually got a few nights of good sleep. Then all of a sudden I got bitten last night while using computer, and as I got up to use the rest room I saw a dead bug fell out of me. That freaked me out and I started to inspect every corner/wall of the room, and sure enough I identified 3 little black spots - not the bug itself but their feces. It's as if they wrote on the wall "I'm back". I contacted my manager immediately, who scheduled a fumigation (3rd and final, according to him) tomorrow morning.

I couldn't concentrate on work at all today; it's been really busy and I have not been productive because I haven't slept well in the last couple of nights. I'm starting to get itchy again, waking up with a few red swollen spots. I just don't understand how the bugs can bounce back so quickly - I thought the pesticide supposedly will kill them for weeks to come? I'm so stressed. I feel so helpless and so vulnerable. My mind can't think of anything but how these bugs will follow me wherever I go and that even thought I want to get the hell out of this dirty compact building in downtown, I won't be able to shake off those damn bugs. I've been receiving psychotherapy - I'm genetically prone to depression and I'm very much aware how I cannot take too much stress, yet my daily living is face with severe distress in dealing with the bugs. As I sit down and think about how much packing I have to do, and all the laundry and the detailed vacuuming to do...while being tired and exhausted from not having decent sleep, I finally broke down. This is all just too much for me to bear. I make decent money and have some savings but they seemed too puny to face up to the challenges. I'm so scared that this bugs situation will eventually cause me to lose my job and I'll become homeless....not immediately, but step by step, that it will slowly torture me until I lose it. Sorry I know nobody here can help me but I just need to vent, and hope to at least find audiences who can understand what I'm going through. All my friends have it soooooo damn good they don't even know it, and they can't relate to me. I'm terribly terribly alone...

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 19:41:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Helpless,

First, people do understand what you're going through.

However, if you are in danger, if you are having any suicidal thoughts, please seek immediate help by calling your therapist or going to an ER if you cannot reach him/her. There are some resources here such as hotlines if you find yourself in that situation. We can talk about bed bugs, but aren't equipped to counsel anyone who needs professional help, and it sounds like you understand that.

We have had lots of people write about how therapy helped with the stress/anxiety/depression which many of us experience along with bed bugs.

Second, your treatment actually does not sound like it's going badly. Bed bugs typically take multiple treatments before they're gone using traditional spray and dust methods. (You said "fumigation," but technically, this refers to treatment with a gas fumigant that kills bed bugs in one shot and would not be used in a multi-unit building.)

You said the problem got much better after the second treatment. And you're getting the third tomorrow.

While the PCO (or landlord) may be used to needing only three treatments, there is no magic number as to how many are needed. If the laws in LA stipulate that landlords pay for treatment, then they may have to continue. If they don't, you might need someone to finish the job.

However, you can get rid of bed bugs. It sounds like you're already on the road to doing so. I know it's frustrating that they're not gone yet, but improvement is good.

I have a few questions for you:

Were attached units (on all sides, above, and below) inspected also?
    How far apart were these three treatments?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 20:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Nobugsonme,

Thank you for your prompt response and kind comments. I'm very well aware of the fact that I'm prone to depression and anxiety as they've been with me since I was very, very young. I'm currently not on any medication but have been getting psychotherapy. I'm definitely not thinking of hurting myself; if that were to happen I'd check myself in to a hospital. So you won't have to worry about me on that, but I truely appreciate your concern and advice. There's so much compassion on this website it's really a godsend to those who're suffering bed bugs.

Yes my landlord did tell me that the treatment is 3-parts, but initially he made it sound like it's no big deal and that my problems will be resolved in 1 or 2 shots, if I follow their instruction closely. I followed it to the T, except for the laundry part - I only laundered dirty items, but for all other clean items I put them in dryer for more than 70 minutes. According to a coworker whose husband deals with bed bugs on regular basis, 30 minutes in dryer is more than enough to kill bugs and their eggs. All other things I just put them in a cardboard box and leave them in the room so they can be sprayed. I guess I'm just so anxious because I know how fast they multiply. Yes, so far I've only seen "dead bugs" after the 2nd fumigation, but I have spotted their feces on the walls, and the fact that I'm waking up feeling itchy/swollen again, is testament to their continued existence despite two treatments.

Regarding your questions,

Were attached units (on all sides, above, and below) inspected also?
    *Do you mean the other spaces around me? No, I asked my landlord about possibly investigating the entire floor (I'm on the top floor), he said I'm the only one complaining we only need to concentrate on my apartment. I did tell my neighbors (units to my left and right) and they said they have not spotted any bed bugs or felt any discomfort. While researching online I came across a posting by a guy who lived in the same building, but on the floor below me, that there was severe infestation. He ended up only staying for a month before moving out due to inhabitable condition. I confronted my manager about it, and he once again placed the blame on that guy, said he brought in used furnitures, and that nobody else has complained about bed bugs since then. I want to make the case that perhaps bed bugs has travelled from the floor beneath me to my unit, but it's hard to justify when neither of my neighbors units are infested.

How far apart were these three treatments?

The 2nd treatment was just a week from the first treatment, and the 3rd treatment (tomorrow morning) will be 9 days after the 2nd treatment. In between 1st and 2nd treatment, the maintenance crew came up to do their own spray because I found bugs feces along the side of the wall. Once again, I'm so naive and did not realize bugs can infest the wall and crevices.

My lease here ends in June, but I'm afraid to move out because I know the bugs can follow me easily. I'm just so tired and exhausted from all the efforts, and there's so much information it's overwhelming. I know that rigorous procedures can and help getting rid of the bugs, but I feel that logistically it'd be a nightmare. I'm by myself here in LA and nobody can help me. I wish there's a "treatment center" where I would just bring all my belongings, including my car, to that center, and they'd treat everything thoroughly (including myself! I'd be able to shower and change into brand new clothes), then I'd bring everything clean to a new place. But that's just not possible there's no such facility in LA. I do have the financial mean to hire somebody to help me to finish the job if my landlord declines further treatment after the 3rd one, but that's also limited. If my limited funds are used up and the bug's still not gone, then I'm totally screwed. All in all my mind is just playing the worst case scenario and I just see no way out. I understand that you can't really help me with my real problem which is my anxiety/depression but I appreciate that you're listening and you can sympathesize. Thank you!!!

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 22:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Los Angeles county, but not in the city of LA.

As far as I know, laws vary from one city to the next, so I can't tell you what the laws in LA metro are.

But I do know that in my city Fair Housing is the best agency to contact to find out what your rights as a renter are. I would contact them ASAP, as when I contacted them, it took several days before they could get back to me to even begin the process.

If it turns out that your third treatment works, great. When they call back, you can tell them that the problem has been resolved. But if it doesn't, going forward with your landlord will be easier if you're well informed about the laws in your city.

In the meantime, hang in there. It does get better.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 22:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

You said,

30 minutes in dryer is more than enough to kill bugs and their eggs

If items are dry, the dryer was hot, and you're dealing with normal clothing and bedlinens (not thick comforters, puffy jackets, pillows, etc.), this should be totally fine.

Your treatments seem to have been spaced quite well (we're told 7-14 days apart is optimal in most cases). The repetition is necessary because treatments don't reach all bed bugs, and they don't tend to kill eggs, so bed bugs hatch within those time frames.

You may or may not be done with bed bugs with the third treatment. If not, you will need another treatment.

Here are some reasons to be positive:

1. You react to bed bug bites, so you should know when they're gone. (Sometimes people seem to have a lingering skin sensitivity, so this is not always so, but as a general rule.) I know it's awful, but people who don't react have to rely on monitors.
    2. You should have a pretty good idea in June whether you have bed bugs or not. Hopefully this problem will be long gone, but just in case.
    3. If you do, there are actually ways to prevent spreading them. You can have your belongings treated with either heat or Vikane or another gas fumigant, en route to your new home.
    4. Some methods may not be legal in LA, but heat treatment is possible, and it would be a matter of finding someone to treat a truck or pallette of stuff. It can be pricey, but not as much as treating an entire home with heat or gas, and usually it's much cheaper than replacing your stuff.
    5. Although your landlord seems to be stuck on the "three sprays" idea right now, the treatment you've been getting does not seem terrible. You noticed significant improvement. And they're coming at good intervals. There's a good chance the landlord will continue if needed. Believe me, real cheapo or slacker landlords might choose PCOs who show no improvement in conditions in three treatments, who insist on at coming once a month intervals, or who treat only once or twice before declaring the problem solved, regardless of whether it is.

6. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 23:43:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you buggyinsocal. I will contact Fair housing tomorrow first thing in the morning!

As my therapist says, "this too shall pass", but it sure feels like hell while passing! I hope your situation works out too I've read a couple of your posts on here.

7. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2011 1:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

No Bugs,

I actually put everything (including hangers) in dryer for 70 minutes. The only thing that is "thicker" is the comforter, which I put in dryer for 90 minutes last time. This time I'm going to both wash and dry my comforter and all linens/bedding. But it's simply too exhausting and almost physically impossible to wash and dry all my clean clothes every week! I'm hoping putting my clean clothes and other unwashable items like shoes/hangers/etc in dryer for 70/80 minutes is a good compromise. Please do let me know if that's not the case.... I just ordered a packtite as I took to your advice that this fight with bed bugs is going to be on the long haul, not short-term, so I'm hoping packtite will save me money in the long run with dryer costs and reusable XL ziplock bags (I bought those after 2nd treatment but did not use, but I do plan to use them to store all my clean clothes from now on..).

After reading the FAQ on this website, I realized I made many mistakes. The biggest mistake I made is that I rented a storage unit, where I put away much of my things. I naively thought the bug will die in a few weeks without food - WRONG. Now I have to think of a way to bring them back to de-infest them, and probably Packtite will be my best bet. Certain items I can throw away such as kitchen utilities, but I do have quite a few important documents/books that I wish to keep in the long haul. I also made the mistake of spraying an OTC product I purchased online before contacting my manager. That probably scattered the bugs and made the infestation worst. Third mistake is I stayed at a hotel the night of the 1st treatment; this was at my sister's suggestion. She figured there will be still too much pesticides hanging around and it's better for me to get a good night sleep. As a result I brought my backpack (which did not get sprayed, and I did not dry or heat-treat) to the hotel then back to the apartment. I honestly think that's what made the bugs come back so quickly after the 1st treatment - there were still fresh bugs on my backpack!

Thank you for your encouragement; I know things are definitely better than they were before. It's just that I'm so sensitive and one bug bite gets me all itchy and uncomfortable for 1~2 days. I just felt that there's so much to do and I'm so overwhelmed, being sleep deprived and yet having to work at a very demanding job and still have to come home to do all the cleaning/vacuuming/washing/drying/unpacking...just thinking about it makes me exhausted and wanting to give up. I'm feeling better now, seeing how there are quite a few success stories if treatment persists (especially knowing that some took 7 treatments to work!) and that my landlord is far from the worst kind as he is responsive and have not even ask me to provide any proof before scheduling treatments.

But most of all, a big thank you, really this site is a godsend. None of my other friends are going through this and being able to communicate with others who're knowledgeable with this terrorist pest and get valuable information has helped me to calm down big time.

Finally I do have another question; is it a good idea to use climb up inspector after the 3rd treatment? I bought them after watching Jeffrey White's video on how they're a good passive trap that does not deter bugs and allows monitoring of treatment progress. I really bought them being desperate, thinking they might help me to sleep better should the bugs return after 3rd treatment.

Thanks!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2011 1:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Many pros recommend ClimbUps.

Some pros think they may deter bed bugs, and this may be true but there is also evidence that they can also catch them, in field tests, and reports have come from pest firms that confirm this.

If you've bought them already, I think you should go ahead and use them.

(If someone else reading this has not yet made the plunge, they might weigh the relative merits and quite different approaches to monitoring taken by ClimbUp Insect Interceptors vs. BBAlert Passive Monitors).

I'm glad you found the site helpful, and thanks for your kind words.

Note: regarding the success story post (which is current in another thread) -- the poster mentions having had seven treatments, but also says s/he thought bed bugs were probably gone by the fourth treatment.

I don't want to sound PollyAnna about this. Bed bugs suck literally and figuratively.
    However, if things are getting better with each treatment, don't worry. It sounds like you can beat this.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2011 1:48:54
    #

Login to Send PM

And -- oh yeah, I am not holding out on you. We just don't know how long it takes for a hot dryer or a Packtite to kill bed bugs in a pillow or comforter. Since you're getting a Packtite, you can run it nice and long.

The stuff in storage can either be sealed in airtight plastic bags and brought home to be quickly exposed within the Packtite, or you can seal the stuff in an airtight manner INSIDE the storage place and leave it a year or so.

It's hard to be certain 12 months is enough. The longest reported time bed bugs were said to live without feeding was 18 months, but experts suggest they probably would not survive as long now. (I can't give you the reasons but perhaps someone else can cite them.)

Sealed items could be left in storage for that long. However, it's expensive, and possibly as expensive as treating everything en route to your new home if that ends up being necessary.

I would not leave unsealed items in a storage place -- not only because the bed bugs may travel to others, but because you may pick up other peoples' bed bugs on your stuff too. New bed bugs. Shudder.

10. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2011 10:58:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs. Yes storage is expensive, but necessary at this point since my tiny apartment can't afford spaces for it and I don't want to move out to another location until the bed bugs are all cleared. I will definitely go and seal those items in storage in contractor bags and either treat them in Packtite or a fumigating truck when I move. Now time to get ready for the 3rd treatment...wish me luck! Will come back and keep everyone posted.

11. NomNom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2011 13:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I also live in downtown los angeles off 3rd street.

I have a nice apartment but alas, i have been fighting bed bugs since January. I have had two treatments and have had to wash all of my stuff and buy mattress covers. Its been about 3 and a half weeks since my second treatment and i have found more live bugs.

I am hoping that after this treatment i will get rid of them but believe me i know how frustrating it is dealing with these critters.

Its hard but you have to stay positive. When i did all of my laundry people were pointing, taking pictures and laughing because i had like 20 bags of all my clothes and my fiances clothes.

Even after that and the money i have spent on things like mattress covers i feel confident that i will get rid of them.

Let me know how your 3rd treatment goes.

12. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 0:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

NomNom - sorry to hear that you're also dealing with bedbugs. It's becoming a big problem in the denser areas of LA, like downtown. My 3rd treatment just finished today so I have to wait a few days and see how it goes. My landlord told me that from his experience bugs usually disappear completely after 3 treatments. I told him that if they come back, he'll need to get treatment again. Fortunately he agreed and said he'll get as many treatments as necessary to get rid of these bugs.

Are you also getting the 3rd treamtment soon? Good luck with it. Sorry to hear that people are making fun of your misery at the laundry. Honestly, screw them. They don't know what it's like until they get infected with BB.

What do you do to monitor the bugs situation (besides the itchy feeling?). I bought climb up investigator hopefully it'll help me to catch the bugs early (if not entirely terminated after this round) so my landlord can schedule another treatment, if necessary, at the earliest notice. I also found the glue trap to be helpful. I bought like 5 packs of those glue traps from home depot and just lay them all around the corner and walls of my apartment. Guess what? This morning two of the traps had caught two bugs - 1 nymph 1 young not fully adult maybe stage 3? So in case my landlord does not believe me, I can show him these traps as proof. I also got the packtite and XXL ziplock bags so I won't have to wash all my clothes again should another treatment becomes necessary.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm trying to stay strong and deal with them as they come. Life is just not the same with BB; I had to cancel out on my friend's bday party tonight and he was pissed. I'm also afraid to schedule or commit to anything on the weekends now because I never know if there'll be another BB outbreak and I'll have to go through this whole process again. But it is what it is. Hope your treatment goes well and you get rid of them for good this time around. Please also keep me posted of your progress.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 0:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you think you're going to treat the contents of a truck with Vikane when you move, then you will have to remove the items from the bags before putting them in the truck. It probably does not change your plans, but may be helpful to know at this point.

14. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 1:05:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip Nobug! Sigh - moving seems like such a distant "dream" now. Before BB I seriously thought I would definitely move - find a bigger, better apartment and furnish it nicely so I can have people over, relax, etc. Now I realize that BB can hit any apartment, nice or not. In fact I'm fortunate that my unit is so small and I don't have much belongings. This morning it took me exactly 1 hour to bag everything as preparation for the 3rd treatment. If I were to live in a larger apartment with multiple furnitures, it'd take me much much more time for preparation, and equally as much time to rearrange everything after the treatment. Also after BB I don't feel it's such a good idea to invite people over anymore, or going to people's houses. Am I experiencing post-bed-bugs-trauma? I feel like my view on life has been altered by my BB experience.

15. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 4:30:06
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA - 4 hours ago  » 
    ...I also found the glue trap to be helpful. I bought like 5 packs of those glue traps from home depot and just lay them all around the corner and walls of my apartment. Guess what? This morning two of the traps had caught two bugs - 1 nymph 1 young not fully adult maybe stage 3?...

Can you specify exactly which glue traps in case other people want to try them. Most posters on bedbugger.com have said glue traps don't help very much, so it's interesting you found some that caught at least something. Perhaps you can find those particular glue traps on the home depot website and post a link to them?

16. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 16:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc,

I bought Real-Kill household pest glue trap. Link to it is here:

http://www.homedepot.com/Real-Kill/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Z19c/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's not specifically designed for bed bugs, but I figure a glue trap is a glue trap and bed bugs will get trapped if they walk on them. Please note that I did not lay these traps around expecting it'll help me control the situation. I just want to use it as a monitor device to help me see where the bugs are still active. I bought 5 packs, and each packs has 4 pieces, so I laid a total of 20 pieces. I placed 5 pieces of them along the wall where my bed faces because that's also where I saw new fecal spots, and sure enough one of them caught a real young nymph (almost transparent). I also laid a few near my closet, under my desk, hall way near the bathroom, and also one in the little kitchenette area that's just two feet away from where I sleep. Surprisingly the trap in the kitchenette area also caught a young adult, which tells me that some bugs may still be hiding in the drawers/cabinets in the kitchenette.

I planned to tell the PCO about my finding so they could concentrate their efforts in those areas...unfortunately I missed them by merely 5 minutes. I did leave the traps on the kitchen counter and I did label each trap of the location, so hopefully the PCO saw it and took into consideration when they did the 3rd treatment yesterday. That said, my manager told me they're spraying even more heavily this time, so we'll see what happens...

This morning I felt like I got bitten in the back again Can't wait for the climb inspector to arrive so I can get a good night sleep!

17. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 17:12:02
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA - 15 minutes ago  » 
    jrbtnyc,
    I bought Real-Kill household pest glue trap. Link to it is here:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Real-Kill/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Z19c/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Specifically you mean Real-Kill Household Pest Glue Boards, is that correct...

http://www.homedepot.com/Real-Kill/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ19c/R-202056496/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

...at $3.97 per 4-pack. So, the cost of five packs was right around $20.

It's interesting you got at least some results by putting out that many of them, twenty of the glue boards.

Are all twenty still out, and if so how long have they been there, and have you caught any more bugs.

18. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 18:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

No they were all taken down yesterday to prepare for the 3rd treatment. I do plan to buy more of those and lay them out again. I had them out for probably just 2 days.

19. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 19:56:13
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA - 1 hour ago  » 
    No they were all taken down yesterday to prepare for the 3rd treatment. I do plan to buy more of those and lay them out again. I had them out for probably just 2 days.

Can you put out the same twenty again so you don't have to spend $20 a second time until later.

20. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 1:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Kind of hard to do that since they're all very "sticky". But I just got the shipment of climb up insect interceptor, which should be more useful in monitoring bugs than the glue trap. I'm just going to get a few gluetrap this time and place them at the more suspicious places...

21. NomNom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 13:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my 3rd treatment on Saturday. I decided to stay the weekend with my mom so today i am going to wash the bedding they sprayed and put my bed back together. They had said they were surprised i had any because when they did the 2nd treatment they barley found any traces of the bug.

They believe the ones i saw were probably dying. I had seen at least one live one for sure on my bed but thats about it.

I am hoping that after this treatment everything will be back to normal.

I honestly have not used any of those systems. All i have done is inspect my place with my LED flash light. I have been looking at all the base boards and taking my bed apart and checking my bed for signs. I am thinking that this time i might buy the traps that prevent them from crawling up a bed post.

22. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 20:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the feeling that my pest control guy (even though I never got to speak to him, he was hired directly by my landlord and I was at work at the 2nd treatment) had the same doubt when he came for 2nd treatment. I noticed that he left the windows open, and my furniture were not flipped up side down like the first time around. That's also when he left a glue trap on the wall, as if he's trying to test whether I was telling the truth (of finding live bugs).

After 2nd treatment I did not find any live bugs, but I managed to trap two using the glue traps. They were both young, one a completely transparent nymph the other more like a stage 2/3 bug. I don't care if anybody tell me the bugs are dying: If I find a live one a week after the treatment, I'll have my manager do another treatment again!

The climb up investigator seemed to calmed me down mentally a bit, since I slept better last night after installing the units. However they seemed to start to crack already because my room has carpet. If your room has carpet, the investigator might not be the best solution, you may be better off getting the double-sided sticky tapes. That's what I'm planning to do.

Good luck and hopefully that 3rd treatment is your last. I desperately wish things to go back to normal....

23. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 20:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA - 7 minutes ago  » 
    The climb up investigator seemed to calmed me down mentally a bit, since I slept better last night after installing the units. However they seemed to start to crack already because my room has carpet. If your room has carpet, the investigator might not be the best solution, you may be better off getting the double-sided sticky tapes. That's what I'm planning to do.

You mean ClimbUp® Interceptors, is that correct.

(Everyone: if ordering those, do so by clicking an advertisement here on bedbugger.com so as to help support bedbugger.com who receives a small commission when you order that way – that product or any other bed bug product.)

(By the way, I myself have no connection to bedbugger.com other than as a grateful user thereof, and no connection to any bed bug products.)

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 23:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA,

You said (a few posts back),

This morning it took me exactly 1 hour to bag everything as preparation for the 3rd treatment.

Is the PCO having you bag everything, or just things which have been treated (e.g. clothing dried on hot)?

If he is having you bag everything, when did he have you unbag it after treatment?

25. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 0:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - yes that's what I meant. I ordered Paktite from the advertisement here specifically because I know the website will receive some commission of the proceed. I'm certainly a very grateful user of this site and will contribute when I can.

NoBugs - The PCO did not ask me to bag my things. The instruction simply stated "remove all items from closets and shelves. Cover all items with plastic". I figure putting things in bag is the same as covering them with plastic. None of the bags were "zip-locked" or "air-tight", they were all just regular trash bags where I losely tie the top. I did have a cardboard box where I put things in then cover the top with plastic. Interestingly, the instruction said to wash my clothes and thoroughly vacuum carpet and baseboards AFTER the service. I thought this is a bit strange since my manager confirmed that the PCO utilizes a type of dust that will slowly kill the bug, wouldn't the vacuuming sort of defeat the purpose? Also, the PCO did not spend more than 15 minutes in my room for the 3rd treatment. I know that because I was waiting for them in the lobby, and at 11:40am I checked in with my manager to see if they came, and my manager said no. Then at 12:00pm I went to my manager's office again, he surprised me by saying the PCO came just barely 5 minutes after I left and is already finished with the job and has left. I didn't even get a chance to show them the live bug I caught and to ask them the type of treatments they used. Honestly I highly doubt that my manager hired the best pros out there but then he did agreed to treat as many times as necessary, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

26. BedBugPanic

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 0:58:55
    #

Login to Send PM

hi Helpless, I have carpet too and I found when I was using Climb Ups as a monitoring tool, that reinforsing the underneath with a metal electrical plate (the circular ones) helped quite a deal in preserving the life of the Climb-Ups themselves.

Please see this Forum topic for further details: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/climbup-interceptors-keep-cracking

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 1:18:46
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA,

Thanks for explaining about the bags. I would make sure items were out of bags once everything is dry, so bed bugs can come out and die. (This does not apply to anything decontaminated like clothing that's been in a hot dryer, which should stay bagged until you're sure bed bugs are all gone.)

I am not a pest pro, but I suspect the guy likes to spray generously, and that this is why he wants you to cover things with plastic (avoid drips?). The words "spray and pray" come to mind.

He may not be a bed bug killing artist, like some, but I suspect most aren't, and luckily it is still possible for him to get rid of your bed bugs. That your manager isn't putting a limit on treatments is good.

Interestingly, the instruction said to wash my clothes and thoroughly vacuum carpet and baseboards AFTER the service. I thought this is a bit strange since my manager confirmed that the PCO utilizes a type of dust that will slowly kill the bug, wouldn't the vacuuming sort of defeat the purpose?

Yes -- if the dust is a mechanical killer like DE, then it should be left down. It may be that the printed instructions were written when they were not using a dust. I would call the firm or ask the manager to do so.

And finally, jrbtnyc and HelplessinLA -- thanks to you both for your support of the site, which is much appreciated.

28. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 0:34:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugpanic - thanks for the tips, I'm beginning to see "marks" on the climb interceptor already. I thought about getting some kind of support for the interceptors but your idea is great. Can I get those metal electrical plates in Home Depot? Is there a specific kind that you'd recommend?

Nobugs - Indeed the guy sprayed a lot. I could see dry marks of those spray on my bed, computer chair, walls..everywhere. My manager told me the guy sprayed "very strong" this time, since he told them that I caught a live bed bug (actually 2, but oh well they got the point hopefully). He's hoping that this will be the last treatment and the pest guys told him they don't usually do more than 3 treatments to get rid of the bugs. Who knows...I'll have to wait and see. I feel like I'm still getting bites, and I'm taking claritin everyday otherwise I'll always feel itchy. However none of the climb interceptor caught any bugs and I haven't seen any bugs/shells dead or alive, except a few feces, which could very well be there that I just never discovered. I know I need to wait at least a few more days though, or at least until I could find "solid evidence" of the bugs, before I go back to my manager for more treatments. And gosh I really, really don't want to go through another treatment. It's just exhausting. Once the Paktite arrives, it should save me some labor and $$ with all the drying, but still I will feel so exhausted psychologically...."here goes again".

I'm glad I'm able to support this site, it's the least I could do for all the help I receive from you and other members here. I told my therapist about how this site has a sticky note for those who're at risk for disturbed or suicidal thoughts, she was shocked and perhaps finally came to understand how stressful and life-changing bed bugs could be.

29. BedBugPanic

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 0:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Helpless! I believe you can find them at Home Depot, I did get mine at the local hardware store... I got the ones that are circular and are four inches in diameter (the exact same diameter of the inner well of a regular climb up) and what I did, is I taped it to the underside (the side that makes contact with the carpet) of the climb up with duct tape (basically "tucking" in the tape in the dip that is in between the two wells on the underside... if that makes any sense).

If your bed frame is not the kind that has wheels, then there probably won't be a risk of the plates "shifting" underneath... If you do have wheels, I'd check on them every month and if they have shifted, just kind of fix them up... Another thing to is to check every so often to ensure that the plates don't cause rust stains on the carpet for any metal that oxidizes can cause rust... (mine have not but again i've only had them in place for about 7 months).

Feel free to PM me should you have any questions. I'll be glad to help

30. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 1:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bedbugpanic! I'll be sure to get some duct tape and electrical plate at home depot this Friday...have to get more glue traps there anyway

My bed frame does have wheels and it's already shifting a bit on the climb up. I guess I'll just have to adjust their position every so often, no big deal...totally easy if that'll help extend the life of my climb up

31. LVK9

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 8:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

HelplessinLA I used to use the metal plates under the Climb-Ups, I found the bed would shift to much (if it had wheels) What I do now is cut 5 strips of duct tape about 3"-4" in length and tape them to the bottom of the climb-up. I place the first two in a "T" then rotate cup 1/4 turn and repeat, the last one is just extra support. I find the duct tapes allows the bed to sink into the carpet so it wont shift and the duct tape adds strength so the cup won't crack.

32. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 10:14:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Another thing that might be used to reinforce ClimbUps is furniture sliders like these. They're flexible, so they won't spread the load out as completely as a metal plate would, but they're easy to find and fairly cheap.

33. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 10:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both LVK9 and Supercali, I'm definitely going to try out different combinations that you suggested and see which one works better. I realized that my bed does not have wheels everywhere; it's actually one of those IKEA bed that could fold up into a one-person mini couch. So the only legs that has wheels are the two in the middle (to assist the sliding action). I hope either the metal plates or the EZ slider will work. But so far my Climb Ups hasn't crack yet after 4 days of use so that's also a good sign

34. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 1 2011 3:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG the bug is back :(( I've been feeling itchy on my back again for the last few days, but thought it's simply my imagination at work...I even found a shell and tried to convince myself that it's an dead adult or some other insect. Lo and behold, my paranoia turned out to be true. Bed bugs has been eating off of me for the last week, the 3rd treatment has NOT worked!

While doing my routine "mattress flipping" I saw a live bug - an adult, crawling on the wood part of the bed frame. I freaked out, panick, and immediately went to grab paper towel so I could capture the bug, but too late..it ran away by the time I came back. I started taking apart the bed frame, it's one of those IKEA foldable couch bed, so it's basically a metal frame with wood slides crossing the frame. I took the wood out and immediately caught a young (3 start nymph?) bug, captured it and put it in a ziplock. However that's not the full-grown adult I saw. I found that the joint that connects the wood is plastic and can be taken out. After taking those out, I realize the middle of the metal frame is hollow. That's the perfect breeding ground for those blood suckers.....but most importantly, the treatment is NOT working. If I see dying adults fine, but youngsters? they're growing and well, nurtured by my blood every night.

I feel like I'm loosing it. Just today I spoke with my manager, asking him what type of pesticide the PCO he hired used. He wouldn't tell me, said he's not allowed to disclose, but it's a very powerful chemical that attract the bed bugs out and kills them. He assured me that 3 treatments has eliminated the most severe bed bug case he's seen. Then see what happened tonight...I was so mad, i didn't care that it's 1am in the morning I called and yelled at him, he hung up at me. I'm going to get a bed bug attorney, sue the management company's ass to hell and break the lease and get the hell out.

Work is crazy at this time but I don't care anymore I'm going to ask for 2 weeks off to deal with this whole mess, they can fire me if they want to, I just don't care anymore. I can't live like this anymore, with a shady management who continues to lie to me. I'm a human being and deserved to be treated as such. I've already spoken to the Environmental Health Department of LA, they said they couldn't help unless I file a complaint. Well, I'm for sure going to file a complaint now. Life right now is just pure hell...God help me to get through this in one piece...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto