Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

smelly stinky stenchy odiforousness from???

(10 posts)
  1. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 21:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Folk-

The room where the infestation is centered has a gross stinky funk that smells like a combination of some kind of chemical fertilizer mixed w/perhaps a rotting small animal and also sweaty gym socks.

It seems lot worse in the early AM. Anyone else have experience w/funky stinks near where the bed bugs are/were centralized?

If so, what (if anything) did you use to treat or erradicte it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 6:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO, upon the 2nd treatment, agrees that the odor is coming from the couch. The couch is new and did not have an odor when it arrived from the store. We noticed the smell about 2 months after purchasing it, which was 3 weeks or so before discovering the bed bugs in it.

I am thinking about either getting rid of it or encasing it, but we have dogs and I read on the USBedBugs site that the couch encasements are not meant for dogs to be jumping on and off.

Any ideas what this smell could be?

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 7:03:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Smells are difficult describe unless its a common reference smell such as freshly cut grass.

However there is one option. If you place some cotton balls on the couch for a few days they will absorb the odor. If you then seal them in an air tight bag or container I am willing to have a sniff and see what it could be.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 14:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Cool idea!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 15:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Cool idea!

I will email you and tell you how I have seen this used in a much more impressive way but its one of those I cant speak about publicly.

David

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 19:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm mailing you something, David

...actually, I'll just leave it in an envelope at the front desk.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 19:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

TOAT,

I know just who to give them to as well.

David

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 0:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 9 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Cool idea!

I will email you and tell you how I have seen this used in a much more impressive way but its one of those I cant speak about publicly.
    David

Thanks!

9. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 8:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

littlebugstards - 1 week ago  » 
    . . . gross stinky funk that smells like a combination of some kind of chemical fertilizer mixed w/perhaps a rotting small animal and also sweaty gym socks.

Dear littlebugstards,

Is there anyway there could be a "rotting small animal" (mouse) somewhere hidden in the couch? Seems strange that you didn't notice the smell until you had it for two months.

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    . . . I am willing to have a sniff and see what it could be.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Wow!!!! A new service on the forum!!! David Cain's "Sniff and Tell" service! Way Cool!!! And David I have something you can . . .oh wait . . . wrong forum . . . I don't want to be called "extra flirty" again by our hostess!

theyareoutthere - 12 hours ago  » 
    ...actually, I'll just leave it in an envelope at the front desk.

Side note to TAOT: Did you get any audio this trip?! I love to hear Master Cain's accent but I can only watch and listen to the videos on his website sooo many times! (I think I have them all memorized by now.) So please send me audio (something naughty preferred (of course)) along with the photos for this trip! (I hear the French Alps are amazing!) (I'm personally holding out for the trip to Maldives. Let me know as soon as you "discover" DC has scheduled that trip and I'll meet you there!) (Of course, I'm sure he's planning on inviting both of us on that trip!) What fun will be had by ALL!!!

10. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 10:13:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi-

It seems my replies disappeared here, or I never submitted them -- ah well.

@David, the odor seems to come and go but is most detectable when the room has been unoccupied and the a.c. has been left off for several hours. I am going out to purchase cotton balls this weekend and will send them off to you after leaving them in the room for... how long? So appreciative of your generous offer!

@AbsFreak, you know, we thought of this but (husb. having smell the "dead mouse" smell in the past), he said he didn't think so; but anything is possible. We do have an access panel in the wall of the den that goes to the plumbing for the tub in the basement. Our janitor is going to come an remove it and have a look see in there for me. I am confident the odor is coming from the couch though -- unless that is, I am wrong. Heh!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081