(11 posts)
  1. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 1:04:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I went to the Stern Environmental website to read about Bed Bug Blue and there was a twitter feed by "bedbug expert" on the same page. It said that large infestations smell like rotten raspberries? Is that true?

I ask, because I still do some building inspections, and have been running into that smell....old raspberries... I also often run into a very moldy smell and then I usually see some of signs....probably haven't looked around enough with raspberry smell...

Thanks. I'll run a search on this site too. Here's a link I found with LouBugs and other expert comments:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/do-your-bed-bugs-smell

I agree with Richard Naylor. I've been assuming the moldy smell was from 1) mold and/or 2) mice droppings. It will be interesting to see if some of the black rice like items I'm seeing on walls and counters are fecal. It's probably just spray paint in some of the worst/saddest situations....

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 16:46:28
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a FAQ on the smell thing which has additional perspectives. I linked to it from the other thread you just linked to. (It's also linked from the FAQs on detection/identification.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't say I have ever smelled rotten rasberries, doesn't sound pleasant.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have....sticky sweet...we pick a lot of berries...so I have gone away for a weekend and had to pull out a bowl or two from the fridge..it's before the mold begins..but just a hair before...

When I buy store bought raspberries..there is often already mold started...

It's a very, very distinctive smell...but also very....subtle before the mold starts

I'm a foodie and a cook...so my sense of smell may just be very high...reading Gail Simmons book right now (it's almost as good as Paul Bellos :)).

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, I have always said burnt almonds due to concentration of some of the impurities in blood.

However the very keen of smell can actually detect different odours for bedbugs under stress and contented ones. I have always thought alarm signals were more corriander.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was reading the twitter feed, it kind of stopped me in my tracks since about 5% of the time I got into a building, I smell this faint smell...it's more common with buildings which are near empty but only recently (ie it's 6 pm on a Wed night at an office builidng). I hear there isn't much of a smell but the twitter feed made it sound like you walk into a room that is heavily infested and there is a strong or distinctive smell... These don't seem to be high risk places...so I'm probably just imagining it. I don't think I do anything to alarm anybody or anything while in the room....

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sense of smell is like all other senses and skills, you can train it and develop it with time and practice. The best way to do this is to take some of the live bedbugs you find and crush them, smell the aroma and work out how to best describe it to yourself.

I am somewhat unique that I have a proven track record of being able to smell down to a single bedbugs in a room with no air flow that has not been opened for a few days. This however took me years to develop and perfect and does enable me to do the "stop in your tracks in the street and follow a scent cone towards an infested property".

However the key factor here is that unless you use your sense of smell as part of your job its unlikely that you have smell perception skills advanced enough to be able to reliably do this. I can also detect rats, mice and decaying human bodies from significant distances but that's due to exposure if my early days as a general pest controller.

With most people you don't want to have such a long term exposure to bedbugs to be able to develop these skills no matter how beneficial or "super hero" they may appear to be.

David

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:45:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I think you answered my question. The twitter feed made it sound like the general population would notice this smell for "heavy" infestations.

This may sound odd, but I have no expectation to be able to find one or two bugs through a fecal test, a passive or active monitor, etc. I mean..I know it could happen. I use monitoring to get as earliest a gage as possible, but realize one or two may go undetected until they multiply. Hope that assumption is right.

My concern has been that i'm walking into large infestations, probably in a commercial setting so it would be different than a home from what I understand (if I read correctly..they don't breed as quickly in office settings since it's a shorter "feed time")....and not realizing the smell is what it is. I have a pretty well developed sense of smell, but it's not how I make a living. I do walk through residential settings and hotels, but it's not as common as commercial/industrial/office. One place just had its cubes and office furniture replaced (it was from the 70s) with things from another office building that has been utilized since the 1990s. There is now a different smell to those offices...it had me overthinking as usual. I'm not saying it's good thinking..just overthinking...

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I think you answered my question. The twitter feed made it sound like the general population would notice this smell for "heavy" infestations.

This may sound odd, but I have no expectation to be able to find one or two bugs through a fecal test, a passive or active monitor, etc. I mean..I know it could happen. I use monitoring to get as earliest a gage as possible, but realize one or two may go undetected until they multiply. Hope that assumption is right.

My concern has been that i'm walking into large infestations, probably in a commercial setting so it would be different than a home from what I understand (if I read correctly..they don't breed as quickly in office settings since it's a shorter "feed time")....and not realizing the smell is what it is. I have a pretty well developed sense of smell, but it's not how I make a living. I do walk through residential settings and hotels, but it's not as common as commercial/industrial/office. One place just had its cubes and office furniture replaced (it was from the 70s) with things from another office building that has been utilized since the 1990s. There is now a different smell to those offices...it had me overthinking as usual. I'm not saying it's good thinking..just overthinking...

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 14:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the problems you have is that daily exposure to heavy locations means that the smell has built up which is why those living in the epicenter do not always detect the smell where a fresh nose can.

I think you are right to view monitoring and faecal test as an indicator but not an absolute certainty, I have great confidence in Passives as I have seen so much data from the field on single bedbug capture and that is clients doing the detection not highly training individuals but I have also seen one or two slip through the detection loop or even get detected as they make their way of clothes having just been picked up a matter of minutes/hours before.

I am not sure if I agree with the shorter feeding times in offices since many of us work longer hours than we sleep and my initial response to what I think is that report was that the authors needed to get out and study bedbugs in the field more than assuming their own self elected expert status. We certainly don't see as much commercial space infestation in the UK as is reported in the US but that may be a factor of lower public awareness.

If you take 30 seconds to check the chair before you sit down there is a very low risk that you will pick something up and take it home/on with you particularly if the chair you are sitting on is not one that someone else spends a full working day sitting on. Bedbugs are quite lazy creatures and will always locate close to a good and regular source of food so in offices the most occupied areas are the greatest risks.

David

11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 14:11:06
    #

Login to Send PM

That helps a lot. Thanks, David!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver