(28 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 17:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am working on a project for SmartPhone's and was wondering if you would not mind letting me know if you have either an iOS device or Android device so I can prioritize which platform we release on first.

Also if you have any suggestions as to what information you would want to have at your finger tips please let me know.

The App will be free to download and use (subject to your data tariff or wifi connection) unless I am required to pay something for making it available and in which case we will keep the costs as low as possible. The content should also auto update as new information becomes available through the linked resources.

Its all rather exciting really.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 18:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

2 Android users here. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 18:31:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Android mostly.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 19:16:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Android

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 7 2014 19:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I will try and get the Droid version into a test format shortly.

Its come together a lot better than I had anticipated and opens up a whole new area of technology for me.

David

6. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 10:50:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Android. And very exciting, David. You are very innovative!

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 11:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

iphone . . . and wow that's a lot of androids . . . I didn't realize I was so out of the loop!

But on the other hand . . . my granddaughter loooves pushing the button and talking to Siri. . . just yesterday:

GD: Siri, I don't like you!

S: I'm just trying to help.

GD: Siri, where's my Hello Kitty watch at Grammie's house?

S: I don't know Hello Kitty watch, would you like me to search the web?

8. scaredandscarred

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 22:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I am also a iphone user

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 9 2014 14:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Status update.

I am just waiting for the cartoons to be created and its all good to go. The beta will be limited release but if people like it I will see about funding the project further which would also give me the chance to create others at no additional cost.

David

10. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 9 2014 16:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Cool, David! Keep us informed!

11. scaredandscarred

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 9 2014 22:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Great!

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 15:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK its now spooling into the Android system and should be available in a few hours.

If you keep your eye out for Bed Bug Sleuth - ID assistant you will be able to download it.

Please let me know any feedback you have, especially if its a feature or content I can easily add.

Not bad considering its been a rather busy week.

David

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 16:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 14 2014 13:48:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just to let you know the app has now been updated with Lou's videos and I am working on some of his image galleries next.

If you have already downloaded it you should get an update notification at this stage.

David

15. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 14 2014 14:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll try it later on my Android phone

16. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 14 2014 14:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't do apps on my cell phone. Are you able to access this free app on your cell? If so, please tell us how you like the "Bed Bug Sleuth".

http://1fa7e88a-38ed-4ee9-b06a-f697be237515.mobapp.at

Seems like a very useful tool, especially for people on the go.

Thanks, David, for your hard work!

17. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 14 2014 16:31:25
    #

Login to Send PM

PLEASE NOTE: The app is available. I would like to clarify "free" app. Earlier, David wrote,

"The App will be free to download and use (subject to your data tariff or wifi connection) unless I am required to pay something for making it available and in which case we will keep the costs as low as possible."

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 14 2014 18:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To unlock the limit of 5 downloads we need to upgrade to the premium version of the software which has a modesty high subscription fee (not as bad as the £15,000 for the geocoding software we used to use) but it appears that a benefactor may step in and cover the cost for at least the first year.

So long as you don't get charged roaming data fees or if you are on a wifi connection it's 100% free to use on either the web interface or the installed app version.

I will most likely have some additional ones to develop and distribute in due course, I am rather getting into the concept of writing them and in some respects tey are a better way to communicate and keep people updated than websites as you always get a notice when there is new content.

David

19. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 15 2014 17:37:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Since I don’t do apps on my cell phone, I took a look on my desktop. I found that there are some videos I haven’t seen before. The bed bug cartoons are a nice addition to the app.

With a keen interest in bed bugs, David even tackled information technology, an area that is too complicated for me. David, did you come up with the Bed Bug Sleuth name for the app? When I saw the word, sleuth, it made me think of all those Nancy Drew mystery books I read when I was a kid. What is your technical learning curve for building the Bed Bug Sleuth app is like? How long does it take you to complete it with your busy schedule?

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 15 2014 18:11:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I first looked at app writing for the iOS platform about 3 years ago and although I do my own web coding and some basic java (one of my claims is I works on one of the first 1,000 websites in the world) even with apps for dummies I could not get my head around it and have up.

The new app is actually written with a compiling interface package and only took a few hours to learn and put together.

The name came about because I wanted this app to be a tool to help people confirm ID's with example images and video. The desktop interface does not show it but the app logo and loading screen are a bedbug / Sherlock Holmes chimera cartoon to play on the investigating idea.

The problem I have with my focused for of OCD is that when I get it in my head to do something I can loose track of hours / days and weeks. I once wrote a 75 page process manual over a weekend with only a few hours of to sleep. The client who saw the 6 page outline on Friday was a little shocked at the version I delivered on the Monday all bound and complete with table of contents.

It's a more intense and time consuming way of working but when I build it this way all my team know how to follow the logic and could adapt it if needed. All of our process have similar documentation and modular formatting so that they can easily incorporate new information. It helps that I used to work in a FDA certified GLP lab in Houston.

David

21. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 15 2014 19:00:56
    #

Login to Send PM

David...

I have a really dumb phone, but I also have an android tablet. I will try downloading it on that. fingers crossed.

Sallie

22. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 16 2014 16:37:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Is the fingers crossed working, Sallie?

I hope I don't screw up the posting menu functions too much. I am trying to copy & paste David's text for easier reference.

I first looked at app writing for the iOS platform about 3 years ago and although I do my own web coding and some basic java (one of my claims is I works on one of the first 1,000 websites in the world) even with apps for dummies I could not get my head around it and have up.

The new app is actually written with a compiling interface package and only took a few hours to learn and put together.

I am guessing, David, you meant to write "worked" and "gave" in the above bolded words.

Impressive. The "…for Dummies" books may not have the details we are looking for. I usually end up using other books for help, too.

The desktop interface does not show it but the app logo and loading screen are a bedbug / Sherlock Holmes chimera cartoon to play on the investigating idea.

Sounds cool!

Today, I found a number of Lou Sorkin’s short video clips on bed bugs. I thought he only took pictures.

The problem I have with my focused for of OCD is that when I get it in my head to do something I can loose track of hours / days and weeks. I once wrote a 75 page process manual over a weekend with only a few hours of to sleep. The client who saw the 6 page outline on Friday was a little shocked at the version I delivered on the Monday all bound and complete with table of contents.

Oh my goodness! I think a lot of people would be shocked, too. Take care, scientist.

My OCD is the number of times my fingers have to zip up the Ziploc bag. I am talking about the number of times going through 1 bag per time. Sometimes, it won’t close completely. I would zip it again. Then, open the ‘close to the sealing’ part to check if it’s locked. Then, I go over it a couple more times for safety. Check if it’s sealed. Even knowing it’s not air tight, I would press the bag lightly while it’s sealed and reconfirmed it’s leaking (can hear air leaking out in certain size of Ziploc bags). How can I not go over the zipping again a few more times? It still leaked after I changed to a new bag. Lol Since my fingers got sore, I finally stopped.

It's a more intense and time consuming way of working but when I build it this way all my team know how to follow the logic and could adapt it if needed. All of our process have similar documentation and modular formatting so that they can easily incorporate new information. It helps that I used to work in a FDA certified GLP lab in Houston.

I know FDA which is Food and Drug Administration. Is GLP stand for Good Lab Practice? Well, good for you!

I haven’t been to Houston. Anything interesting?

X number of years ago, I visited San Francisco. It’s one of my best trips. The Golden Gate Bridge is magnificent. Loved the crab sandwich by Fisherman’s Wharf. Since it was a new food item for me and for someone who’s on a budget, I didn’t get the other more expensive crab food items. I settled for an under $4 or $5 crab sandwich. It was so…good!!! I was lined up with scheduled day trips, so I couldn’t go back there. That night, as I was having dinner nearby my inn, I wished I had another yummy crab sandwich, even if it’s cold. Yosemite National Park is beautiful. Too bad, it was still pretty cold when I was there. Couldn’t walk around to see much. I also saw an old woman with a foot-long or longer finger nails (several) on the hop on and off bus. Unsettling for some people. Much, much, much longer than that of Marion Jones.

Anyhow, having the Bed Bug Sleuth app on your cell phone will help you identify bed bugs and learn what to do while travelling. It is also important to read up the before and after travelling tips.

23. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 17 2014 16:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I have only skimmed the surface...looks great!

24. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 14:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to comment on the short video clip on What BedBugs Look Like When They Feed (the 4th one down as of today). Appropriate music. Fascinating change of shapes. And the surprise at the end. It’s both interesting and funny. Great job, David!

25. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 27 2014 9:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

HI JustChecking,

Yes I was told off for the technical inaccuracy of the part at the end but it was put together as a small viral to see if people responded better with humor which they do but almost everyone also said they would rather not look at real insects regardless of the educational value.

I have taken a lot of feeding film footage over the years, I might have to have a film festival one time.

David

26. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 27 2014 11:43:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Today, I found a number of Lou Sorkin’s short video clips on bed bugs. I thought he only took pictures.

pictures, video -- now it's all the same camera (or phone) so just a different button and a different resulting file.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  27. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 16:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, I admire you for being able to differentiate bugs apart. How do you remember all those details? Have you always been in the bugs profession? What appeal you to study bugs?

Me and microscope don’t mix. I dreaded going to Biology and Zoology labs because I had to look into the microscope and report the findings. After turning the knob back and forth over and over again, I still couldn’t see what’s underneath. It gave me so much stress.

My next question may be silly, but I am interested to know. With time, human and technology advance. What about bugs (other than their resistance to pesticides)?

I haven't specified bed bugs as I don't know if you want to talk about bugs in general or what.

28. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 16:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I was told off for the technical inaccuracy of the part at the end but it was put together as a small viral to see if people responded better with humor which they do but almost everyone also said they would rather not look at real insects regardless of the educational value.

David, the bed bugs in the video clip that included the 'surprise' aren't as scary to me. I think the horror comes when there are a group of bed bugs, especially scurrying around, OR when eggs, feces, cast skins, and live bed bugs are present together. The music is a nice addition. It seems that the video clips with dead silence are kind of odd; the ones with background noise are kind of neutral.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE