Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Small town (and laptop) woes, moving in a week!

(4 posts)
  1. bbcd

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 17 2012 20:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, small town Canadian here, 6 weeks into a bb infestation, post hotel-stay - you know the drill. I am being bitten 2-4 times per day, which I understand means I probably have more than a mild infestation. 3 weeks in I found multiple groups of fecal stains and eggs! gasp! which I *stupidly* sealed & threw away. Landlord had the most reputable PCO come in, & he did a rather half-assed inspection, told me those couldn't possibly have been bb eggs because he's never seen them before, & entirely dismissed my numerous bites and the fecal stains by the baseboards. He did spray once with Dragnet - but really only to make me feel better. After one bite-free and restful week, I'm getting bitten again full-force, mostly out in my living room now which was never sprayed to begin with (- I admit, I started sleeping out here when I discovered the infestation and likely brought them with me). He won't come back unless I capture a live bug, which my nightly dry ice traps have continually failed to do. I just cannot track down one of these bugs, or a skin, or even any new fecal spots. How frustrating. My landlord doesn't seem to believe me either. I've followed up with DE use, excessive use of the clothes dryer and cleaning as best I can, but my vacuum is useless and I really just don't have the time.

Any small towners have advice on how to deal with inexperienced PCOs? Today I had 8 new bites. I really can't stand to sit around here and have this problem get worse and worse and be able to do little about it.

To add insult to injury, I'm moving in a week (to an even smaller town, alas) and after spending a good chunk of my life on this forum, I'm pretty confident that I'm doing my best. Anything that can't go through the dryer, dishwasher, or packtite is staying behind. Big concerns are my car, which I'm getting steam cleaned by a pro who knows the situation, and my laptop, which I still really don't know how to deal with. My job and my life is on my computer, so it's been hanging out with me for multiple hours in bed & on the couch, both areas I've been bitten.

So the second reason for posting is - how the heck can I clean my laptop? I haven't managed to track down a really good thread on how to deal with computers (it's a Macbook, ~2 years old). I'm basically just sealing it up when it's not in use, which is essentially only when I'm sleeping, and I plan to remove all the keys, wash them, clean under them with a swab of alcohol before I leave. I'm considering taking a hot hair dryer to it, but if the packtite would fry it, I worry the hair dryer might too. I don't want to risk anything happening to it, nor can I live/work without it for 3 weeks while it's in a bag with a Nuvan strip.

I'll be in the US in 2 weeks so please feel free to recommend any products or services that I can't get up here.

2. bbcd

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 17 2012 20:03:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops, didn't mean to write a novel. Thanks for reading

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 17 2012 21:08:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bbcd,

Well, we can get them out of a pc laptop but not a Mac, sorry !

OK, just kidding, some suggestions:

> You can use a packtite to heat treat the macbook however, you would be wise to monitor the temperatures such that excessive temperatures that may damage the macbook are avoided.

> If budget is an issue you can successfully heat treat using a hair dryer but again, you will need to use moderate temperatures to prevent damaging your mac.

> Check out what the lethal threshold temperatures and exposure time requirements are. You can find this information on the resources pages here or via a web search.

> If you can get DDVP pest strips in Canadia then do the following: 1) Place, actually seal, your macbook into a suitably sized plastic storage container or 3 mil plastic bag with a pest strip. At room temperature you will need to leave it in there for at least seven days to assure that you get the eggs. For a variety of reasons it takes less time to produce mortality as temperature increases. (Note to all; I have a professional relationship with the manufacturer of DDVP pest strips.)

Send me a PM if you have additional questions.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. bbcd

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 17 2012 22:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paul. Sent you a pm. The reason I specified was because I read somewhere in my browsing that Macs had a lower threshold temperature than PCs. And indeed, a google search did reveal that the mac storage temp is from –13° to 113° F (–24° to 45° C). I may just have to live with my laptop hidden away in a bag with DDVP for a week. All I've found here for dichlorvos are the Home Defense Max strips (at Canadian Tire, for those interested) which come in a 65 g size - too large, yes?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07