Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Slightly Confused - Need Help!

(2 posts)
  1. Scaredbedless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 10:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. For the past week and a half, I have been terrorized with bites all over my arms. Considering it is summer, I assumed they were all mosquito or spider bites. I even found two mosquitos in my bedroom, so I didn't think more of it. (I know this forum has nothing to do with these insects, but bare with me - I'm getting to the "good" stuff.)

Until- While my older sister was at work, I decided to move stuff around the room to see if I could find any more bugs, just to calm my nerves. You see, I have three rabbits and a cat and I want to prevent any critters from nipping on 'em.

Upon my inspection, I found absolutely nothing. Not a damned thing.

Here's where it gets good:

My sister and I are renting a room from a friend of a friend. We didn't have anything to sleep on and he was kind enough to offer up two mattresses until we could find something. So, for about a week, we were sleeping on these mattresses. No box spring, just mattresses on the floor.

As part of my inspection, I lifted the mattresses and checked them, underneath them and the wall to floor junctions. Nothing. So I came to the conclusion that I was right - it was mosquitos, and I killed the culprits. Job done.

I put the mattresses down and was sitting on one of them, talking to my sister over the phone. That was when I saw something scuttle past me. I paled and screamed, grabbed a paper towel and squashed the fucker, before taking some blurry photos to compare it to my 'bed bug' google search. Lo and behold, it was a bed bug in it's third stage of life.

I immediately dragged the mattresses out of our room. I checked the pillows and bedding and came up with nothing. Not even fecal traces. I know I'm not crazy; this was a bed bug. A small, tiny, yet intimidating and quite possibly life ruining bed bug.

Now, I'm confused. The bites I have are nothing like the images I've seen on bed bug bites. They look like your standard mosquito bites.

Is it at all possible that this was the only bed bug in my room?

Just in case, I bought a can of Hot Shot Bed Bug and Flea Spray. I have yet to use it. I just want someone to tell me if it's possible this was a single bug that may have found its way into my room.

I don't have money to hire a professional, so please keep that in mind. And I apologize for the rambling, I'm just freaked at this point.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 12:32:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you have images please post them to confirm. I am not doubting your ability to ID it is more a reflection of the fact that to most people insects look similar. In fact most of the ID's requested on the forum are not bedbug at all and that explains why we always ID as a first step.

Yes it could be that its just one bedbug and please stop and read the FAQ's before applying any aerosol or fogger based products, they make the problem worse rather than better and we want people to start off on the right foot.

In fact at this stage its better to read and understand than rush into things and make some of the classic mistakes. The problem will not get dramatically worse in a few hours or a few days so getting that foundation knowledge in place before you tackle it is the best way forward.

As you read through the site you will see information in the FAQ's on how to best tackle a light issue and how to decided when professional help really i the best way forward.

Hope that helps and gets you started on the right track.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams