Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

sleepless in Toronto

(15 posts)
  1. neena123

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2008 3:39:55
    #

Login to Send PM

my worst fears have been realized. I found 3 live bed bugs under my mattress. i immediately took my mattress out and put it in the balcony in freezing temperatures. it's been 4 days since, and I haven't had a bite.. I am sleeping on the couch. I have been vacuuming, laundrying and reading everything I can find on the web and this forum.

this is my situation.. I just bought my brand new, never lived in condo in downtown Toronto. It's less than 1 year old. I have carpet, few furniture and a bed.. all new, never been used. I have been getting bites since the summer i think.. but I was also going camping, so i figured it was something else like mosquito bites. I have a sensitive skin and have bad reactions to mosquitoes and sometimes it even gets infected. So.. I didn't think much of it, I wasn't even aware or educated on bed bugs.

I haven't slept much in 4 days, i am starting to lose my mind.. the more i read the more i become hopeless.. this is so screwed up that i can't even think straight!

What's working on my side is, my place is new- so there arent any cracks or anything like that I have spotted. it's also freezing temperatures outside, so I am hoping it will kill any bugs living inside my mattress. I think my infestation is in very primary stages... I am town between calling in a professional or doing it myself. I know everyone will suggest calling someone, but thats not economically feasible for me right now. Of course I want to do whats right, and whatever will work best... but I can not afford to spend thousands of dollars.

I have a few questions--

a: Who would be the top 3 companies I can call in Toronto, Canada to trea1 my problem quickly, discreetly and affordably?

b:If I want to do some things myself like using DE and kleen free/murphys oil, where can i locally source these items? Most vendors i am finding online do not ship to Canada.

C: What are the regulations if you own your own condo? DO the property management company have any responsibility? will they help me in any way?

2. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2008 6:47:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Murphy's Oil soap is at any grocery store, I think. And people are saying that Walmart and Home Depot are starting to stock DE. I got mine on-line, though.

The bugs have to stay below 0 for two weeks to be killed. The temp outside is probably higher than that during the day. Could you examine it really closely and pour 91% rubbing alcohol on any live bugs? If its the mattress, not the box springs, they are probably on the outside.

Look through old threads for information, sometimes people are hesitant to answer new people's questions that have been asked lots of times. Best wishes!!

3. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2008 7:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi neena. Sorry to hear that you have joined our group of BB warriors.

1) Hopefully some of the forum members from Toronto will answer your question about reputable companies. My landlord is using Orkin, who is definately one of the top 3 companies in the country.

2) I live in Canada also (Ottawa). You can buy DE at Canadian Tire. It is a product called "Ant ande Roach Insect Dust" and the company that makes it is called "Green Earth". You can find it in the gardening section of the store. Murphy's Oil can be purchased at Zellers (I haven't seen it in Walmart yet).

3) You may want to perform a search on "condo" on the forum to get more information. FYI, here's a quick sample of what you will find :

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/who-pays-for-pco-in-a-co-op#post-27180

Best of luck to you.

4. neena123

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 10:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

hey thanks for responding guys...

theres just so much information on the forum that I am getting a bit lost. Also, it's really hard to do a search and find certain ways to relevant information. I guess I am thankful this forum exists at all, and for free too.

After much debate, mostly with myself... I decided to call around for a PCO. I have hired someone, I don't have the means to know their reputation.. but here's what they have promised me they will do

1. steam with industrial size dry steamer
    2. spray all my furniture, entire apartment
    3. dust all sockets, furniture and carpet.

I am very cautiously hopeful this will be enough as I am being diligent about cleaning, vacuuming, washing clothes etc. I have a brand new condo, so I am lucky to not have pretty much any cracks, however I am worried for my carpet. Eventually I will strip them and get hardwood but I can't right away.

Am I missing something? will these methods be enough? I think I have a pretty minor infestation, mostly due to my early discovery as I am very allergic and now my wounds are infected! I also don't have a lot of "stuff" few furniture, few things.. on my windows I have blinds... my bed is basic ikea..

I have not bought a mattress encasement yet, as the treatment will be on Friday- tomorrow! I am thinking of either buying a cheap plastic one for 10 bucks... OR should I bite the bullet and get the ones mentioned here? Only reason I am being so cost conscious is because I have a new mortgage in downtown Toronto condo (read:EXPENSIVE)-- and don't have much extra money right now for all this stuff!

5. oceansaway

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 11:32:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Make sure they also will come back in about 10 days also, be there to see if they do an inspection. I only hope it is not the company I used but he did not steam or dust sockets. he was in and out in about 10 minutes.

6. neena123

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 23 2008 11:06:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so My PCO said "throw out the mattress" without really inspecting it... is that normal? It doesn't really matter to me, the mattress wasn't very expensive, and I can buy a new one for the cost of an expensive encasement!!

The company is going to use these insecticides.. I hop the older members or the professionals will weigh in on these please-

PRELUDE 240- synthetic pyrethroid insecticide
    TEMPO 20WP
    FICAM D - 1% Dust insecticide

in addition he will steam every corner of the unit, and come back after 10 days for inspection!! I have bagged all my clothes- washed and dried and tossed my mattress. Anything else I am missing? I am very depressed and disparate! Some one please give me some hope. Also, since discovering I have bed bugs 8 days ago, I have not suffered any more bites!

7. Battle of the Bugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 23 2008 22:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi neena,

That is not right for the PCO to tell you to throw out your mattress, especially without inspecting it. I recognize Tempo from your list as one chemical professionals use for bedbug treatment, but you need to know good treatment is more than the chemicals. 10 days does not sound right, and did you say it is only for inspection? First of all, followups should be atleast 14 days apart, because chemicals can not kill eggs before they hatch and they take about 2 weeks to hatch, so secondly the followup visit should be a second treatment. That makes at least 3 strikes for this PCO. What is the name of the PCO you are using? Perhaps other Toronto members may be able to give you feedback of their efficacy, and naming the company will also help future readers who come to look for Toronto PCOs.

Also, I recommend a mattress/boxspring cover vs throwing out your mattress because if you buy a new mattress and you still have bedbugs, it will just infest your new one too. A cover won't prevent you from getting bites, but it does protect your mattress, makes it harder for bedbugs to harbor by eliminating seems to hide and increase detectability with a white surface.

Best of luck.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ... Oh yeah Sherlock? But you've never had bed bugs!
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 23 2008 23:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not in Toronto and no one I know of has used them yet, BUT Toronto has a publicly funded project called Bug and Scrub:

...a unique social purpose enterprise, Bug and Scrub, through Seaton House that are working in the community to help eradicate bed bugs. 416 392-5572.

It's mentioned in the Toronto Bed Bug Project website. It would be worth calling them and seeing about their services. I know they have a sliding scale and in some cases do prep as well as treatment. They are specializing in bed bugs, which is a good sign.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. neena123

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

oh no... this is not good news then. I wasn't there when the treatment happened obviously... but the guy seems very friendly and knowledgeable.

He suggested throwing out my mattress but did not really say I have to. He just said "my treatment will have better success!" so i did.. he will return in 14 days and do a second treatment, initially he only wanted to do an inspection but i insisted on a second treatment- so he obliged.

I'll be sure to encase my mattress once I get a new one.

thanks guys!

10. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 11:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Neena 123, if you have a boxspring you'll need a cover for that too. I got mine at Sleep Country in downtown Toronto, they're pricey but the very best. Be careful though, one of the salesmen told me you DON'T need to cover your boxspring as the bb don't live there - just in the mattress! Ha, right. Not sure where he heard that...

Anyway, good luck!

11. Formerly Bugged

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 22:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I know I've posted here before (under success stories), but I forgot my login....

Anyhow. We've been bug free for nearly 2 years now. It was trying, but we got through it. Sorry to hear you're afflicted now.

I don't have any PCO recommendations right now, but I can tell you that Canadian Tire stocks Murphy's Oil Soap (we bought the orange Wood Cleaner spray by the case!).

For your mattress/box spring I suggest getting something a little more substantial than the cheapest vinyl. Or at least double bag it.

We went to WalMart and bought the vinyl backed mattress cover - it's like the dust mite covers for pillow, but thicker. It zips up (remember to duct tape the zipper!) and is pretty sturdy. We paid about $35 for it at Walmart.

If you haven't found any DE, I know White Rose stocks it. There's also a garden store up at St. Clair and Yonge (I don't remember if it's White Rose or another one...) and they carried food grade DE as well.

Good luck!

12. F@ Bed Bugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 23:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am curious Neena what company you called. I am not so happy with the company I am dealing with but they have been in business for a long time and I started with them so my warranty is good for a while.

13. k-existence

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 23:58:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey! Im in the GTA area too and Im suspecting I have Bed bugs.

Question!

who is your PCO?
    How much is all these treatments costing you (because Im debating if I should have an inspection/Treatment)?

Yeah I saw those $175 mattress covers and I gotta get TWO of them (one for the box spring) I am also debating for those Wal-mart covers that are $35 someone mentioned.

14. buggykaren

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 1:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I live in a condo in downtown toronto and am freaking because I just saw a bedbug crawling on me at 7pm on my couch. I only just realized I had them after noticing a few bites and can't figure out where they came from. I was working temporarily at a company where there was word of bedbugs. Or they could have been in my suitcase when I came back from vancouver in the summer but wouldn't I have noticed before? Here is the thing, the suitcase is now in my locker and the lockers in the building are only separated by a chain link type fence, so if anyone stores anything with bedbugs they will spread. This is not a cheap building but the other thing is that i was laid off work for some time and have no money for a pco, can barely pay my mortgage right now. also what if I have carried them to my sons's homes. One of my sons friends had a horrible case of them and wouldnt even visit people for fear of spreading them. I can't sleep I am so stressed, I vacuumed, put DE around, even steam cleaned my carpet, but i think I put the DE down wrong, too much. My mattress and box spring are now covered with a plastic cover and the metal bed frame is coated with vaseline at the bottom. The one that was on me was when i was sitting on the couch. The couch has a washable cover and i had already washed it. I have washed dried and bagged much of my clothing, still working on that. I am stupidly embarrassed to tell anyone but know I have to- seeing that one on me made it real. Also- I have 2 cats and a greyhound and greyhounds are very sensitive to chemicals and can even die from some, what do I do about chemical treatment? I have no where to take them and no car. I also have no balcony to put stuff out on.

15. VaeMihi

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 21:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggykaren, as far as your pets are concerned, you could board them during treatment. The place I took my cat was only 15$/night and from what I've heard that's pretty standard. They say that pets (and people) should be out of the apartment for four hours after treatment, but I was glad to keep her away overnight just in case. I had her treated with Revolution first, because a lot of people say that might work for bedbugs as well.

As for the rest, I can't be much help, but there are lots of people on this site who know a lot and can give great advice, so don't worry. Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula