Site enhancements/ feedback solicited

(9 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 1:57:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I am using the term "enhancements" loosely. I have now added some new banners on the sidebar in the forums: one with a link to the bed bug photos page (since the forums did not have a dedicated link and since people seemed to have trouble finding it from here), one with a link to the FAQs, and one for "emailing the admin".

I know they're primitive and they may actually be replaced quite soon by something fancier or moved around (so I recommend you don't get in the habit of describing them to users by color or exact position just yet). If you will direct people to the sidebar buttons, they should be able to find what they need more quickly than before.

The idea is that people are not finding these basic areas of the site.

Besides being primitive and the text maybe hurting your eyes a bit (which as I said I will try to fix asap), are the buttons confusing?

Is it clear they're part of the site and not ads?

As always I welcome your feedback, comments, complaints, suggestions, etc.! Click here to email admin, or respond below. Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Buggy in Florida

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 8:42:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I like them. They're bright-coloured, so they jump out at you, and you can get to the important stuff with a single click instead of having to dig through the menu.

3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 9:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs,

I like that they are at the top of the page, but to be honest, I didn't even notice them until I read your post. I'm so used to everything on the right side bar being an advertisement, but that just may be because I'm such a frequent visitor of the site.It may be more visible to newbies.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 16:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback, Buggy and Buggy -- and also to the anonymous user who PMd me!

Okay, I have made a few changes: I added Bedbugger's name so it would be clear what kinds of links they were, and the buttons are all black now, which doesn't stand out as well but I wanted to make it clear they're not ads and part of the navigation.

Hoepfully the entire forum interface will be overhauled in the not too distant future, and the buttons will hopefully be improved (prettier and better "branded" with our kooky bed bug characters) sooner than that. For now, these should help people get around a bit better.

Feel free to refer people to buttons in the sidebar, but keep in mind they might not be black or in exactly those positions forever.

5. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 17:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs for the easy link! I can see why the photos and signs section is such a popular faq. I use it quite frequently. Sorry if you get a reply above this saying pretty much same thing. I started a reply and had to go do something, came back and lost it. My fault. I like the size and black color but I did miss it at first. I,m also so used to seeing ads. However, it will be so easy to point out to others. This forum has been so helpful and it just keeps getting better. Thanks again.

6. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 17 2013 9:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Nobugs. Looks great.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 17 2013 19:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks good. People tend to look over there, I think

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. mitchbuchanan

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 17 2013 21:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

An overhaul of the forum would be great, it's the most used part of this site, and as of right now, it is VERY confusing and not user friendly. When I search, the results are not sorted by date. A way to sort by date is crucial. Also, on the main forum page, 50% of the posts are 'Is this a bed bug?' type posts. If you can make a subforum for those questions, and make another subforum for questions of different methods, etc. Basically categorize the forums into smaller segments so it's not so confusing and overwhelming to look at. Thanks!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 18 2013 1:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

mitchbuchanan - 4 hours ago  » 
    An overhaul of the forum would be great, it's the most used part of this site, and as of right now, it is VERY confusing and not user friendly. When I search, the results are not sorted by date. A way to sort by date is crucial.

Hi mitch,

I am aware of this request which I think you mentioned before, and I am not sure if that is possible but it would be nice and I will continue to look into it.

I am limited in terms of what I can do since I am not programming the site's functions from scratch. It depends what's available as a plugin for the software or if someone can create a search function that will categorize threads in the way you mention.

Also, on the main forum page, 50% of the posts are 'Is this a bed bug?' type posts. If you can make a subforum for those questions, and make another subforum for questions of different methods, etc. Basically categorize the forums into smaller segments so it's not so confusing and overwhelming to look at. Thanks!

In this case, what you're asking for is already built into the forums and available to you if you know where to look.

On the main page, you first see green stickies, then below that the "most recent posts". Each of those is tagged with a category.

The categories correspond to individual "forums" listed in a box BELOW the most recent posts.

Please have a look and see if that solves this issue for you. Note in the past many people didn't properly choose a category for posts and those posts had a "general" forum category. This has improved greatly since the default forum category was changed to "detection/identification".

I could simply move this forum list above the most recent posts. But most people seem to read the most recent posts in general rather than going by forum category. Maybe a clear shortcut button would help?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,805 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991