Single mom. Losing it!

(6 posts)
  1. Abouttoloseit

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2015 9:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the beginning of month 4. Month 3 we thought they were gone. Last Friday I put my 3 year old down for a nap and she woke up with 7 bites. The bed was totally infested. Previously I had only found the little bastards when I was actually hunting for them. It was like a big f you! I proceeded to cry for the next 2 days. I'm a single mom with 2 jobs. I don't have time for all of this! Especially since I just put all our clothes away! I bought diatomaceous earth and now look like I'm scared of demons. I did the perimeter of the outside of my house. I'm in a single unit house. One neighbor just moved leaving an infested couch in the front yard! I think that's where the last infestation came from. Rumor has it the neighbors on the other side have them as well. I'm doing everything I can. I'm on government assisted housing so I'm limited to what they will do. They have a guy they contract that comes to spray. I have had two treatments. However I was there the last time he came. I have 2 bedrooms upstairs and 5 rooms downstairs he was only in my house 15 minutes tops. He was rude and I just feel like he didn't do a very through job. I'm trying desperately to hold on to my sanity. I just feel like I'm treading water and I'm getting tired.

2. canteven

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2015 11:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry that you are dealing with this, and for so long! I have been having the issue for a month and a half, so I know how you feel with the stress. The most stressful part was balancing work, the kids, and trying to stay on top of keeping the house uncluttered and searching for the dang things!
    We, too, had a PCO who did a terrible treatment. Luckily I complained and they just sent someone else.
    Since you are in government housing, is there someone else you can talk to.. above who you talked to before? You would think they wouldn't want this to continue! If they continue to refuse to do a REAL treatment on your home and follow ups, I hope you are able to find a reliable PCO who can really help. Good luck and try not to stress too much. I know it is stressful, but it's not worth your health too.

3. Abouttoloseit

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 15 2015 20:41:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm reaching the point of no return. I think I'm going to have to get rid of my daughters bed. After that how long do you wait til it's safe to get a new one? And what about dressers and such? I love all my old antique and sentimental wood stuff! I can't get rid of it all but will I ever feel safe again? This shit is crazy.

4. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 17 2015 7:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I understand your frustration, I've been there. I only have a few minutes, but maybe this will help for starters:

You don't have to throw things out. It won't solve the problem, you might cause the infestation to spread by dragging things through your house, and you will just be wasting your money.

About the beds, my Non-expert opinion is that the best bang for your buck is to buy encasements for your mattresses and box springs. Don't go for the cheap plastic ones - get ones that are actually designed and tested for bed bugs. The links on this site will take you to the places that sell the right kind. That may seem like a big investment, but we made the mistake of getting cheap ones to begin with and it didn't work. Once we properly encased our mattress and box spring, it made a HUGE difference.

If you can only afford one or two, I would start with the kids' beds and if you have to choose between encasing the mattress or box spring, I would start with the box spring because that is the #1 place they hide and the most difficult place to deal with otherwise.

You mentioned sprinkling DE around the outside of your house. That's not how it is typically used to treat bed bugs. It can be used as a crack and crevice treatment indoors, but please take the time to read the FAQ on how to use it properly and safely - especially since you have children..

Ask for advise from a pro here. If you are self-treating, definitely make sure you understand what you're doing before you do it. If you can find out what was sprayed by the guy that came, that would help.

I don't know where you are, but there may be additional resources to help you. Try calling the United Way or check with your caseworker, if you have one.

Most of all, keep the faith that you can get through this. The key is to make the best plan you can based on the resources you have available. And reach out for support here when you feel like you're losing it

Hang in there,
    Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  5. tortoiseshortoises

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 17 2015 9:23:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found that bites were severely reduced when I isolated the beds... I got encasements for all mattresses and boxsprings. All bedding was washed and dried before putting it back on the beds.. even pillows got tossed in the dryer for a good long while.

I steamed the mattresses before putting encasements on them (my entire house is tile, so I don't have a vacuume or I would have vacuumed them as well)

Bed frames where cleaned before putting the mattress back on them. I put a light dusting of DE on the part of the frame where the boxspring goes on, to help eliminate that as a hiding place.

All beds have interceptors under them as well.

Bedding gets washed on a regular basis. Beds are also away from the wall.

I got rid of lots of stuffed animals too.. I kept a few of my daughters favorites and they get washed or at least put in the dryer regularly now too. She has a habit of wanting to leave stuff on the floor, which makes it a little more difficult to keep her bedding bug-free.

We completely change clothes before going to bed too.. so we aren't sitting on the couch (which may still have BB), and carrying them to bed on our clothing.

Your old furniture does not need tossed. Take it apart as much as you can.. vacume and steam the cracks and crevices... clean it with murphy oil soap. This stuff is good on wood.. and I find that a lot of bugs do not like the smell of it.. so if you are regularly cleaning your wood furniture with it, it may help to deter the bugs from taking up residency in those peices of furniture.

tossing your furniture and getting new stuff will not solve the problem. Tho, I am considering tossing my couch, simply because the way it is designed, it is difficult to isolate.. its a sleeper sofa that sits low to the ground.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 17 2015 10:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleeper sofas can be a pain to treat because of all the various parts that make for great harborages. If there's one piece of furniture I'd ever toss that would be the one.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,687 posts in 45,068 topics over 137 months by 19,788 of 20,523 members. Latest: Starsky30, Sayitaintso99, bid