Single bites for weeks, found bug today

(11 posts)
  1. helpfreakingout

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 2 2018 7:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! I am trying really hard not to spiral into a complete panic right. The last few months, I've been getting single bites every 10-12 days or so. The first day, I stripped my bed,I went over my mattress and bed frame (I don't have a box spring) with a fine tooth comb and found nothing, so I put it out of my head. The bites have been far enough in between that they could conceivably have been a mosquito... but it finally happened. This morning, I woke up with a bite on my forearm and when I took my shirt off, there was a single adult bed bug in the sleeve. I caught it and put it in a plastic bag. My plan is to call the exterminator when they open at 9 and then work with a prep and laundry service to help me work through my apartment (I live in NYC). My roommate hasn't exhibited any bites or any issues, we live on opposite ends of the apartment, so I'm hoping this is just in my room.

Please tell me this is manageable? And is there any advice for picking out a good prep / laundry service? I think I found some good ones:

http://www.bedbuglaundrynyc.com/
    http://www.pestprepnyc.com/

It all feels so daunting that hiring these services seems like the way to keep my head in a good space.

Basically, help me feel like I can do this, bedbugger forum! I don't want to go off the deep end!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 2 2018 14:52:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Need to find out why you have a bed bug in the first place. Is it from neighbors? Visitors? Recent trip?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. helpfreakingout

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 2 2018 21:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 6 hours ago  » 
    Need to find out why you have a bed bug in the first place. Is it from neighbors? Visitors? Recent trip?

I think I picked it up trying on clothes at a store, actually. But I have a consultant coming on Monday.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 1:19:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The amount of bites and frequency could mean that this is already over. I wouldn't do anything but monitor at this point.

Can we see a picture of the bug?

5. BuggeddOutt

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 10:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly I think KillerQueen is right. Back in November my son was getting bit every 10 to 16 days. After the second occurrence of bites I tore the bedroom apart and found nothing. 2 more singular bites appeared and then I had an inspection the first week of January, he found one adult recently fed bed bug and killed it. My son never got bit again. I unfortunately spiraled bc I had bedbugs before and I have OCD and anxiety. I got another inspection from a different company and he only found what he believed to be a dead unfed nymph under my couch and a possible fecal mark. (I had steamed my couch, recliner, and box springs prior to that inspection) but that was enough for me to get treatment. I had 3 chemical sprays every 2 weeks and the PCO never found anything, no bugs dead or alive, no casts, fecal, nothing. I had a few marks I convinced myself were bites but probably were not. I probably could've saved myself a few hundred dollars and just used cimexa and steam. Also I treated all of my clothes and never found any bugs in the lint trap. I threw so much stuff away, and I still have stuff in my deep freezer that needs to either be treated with nuvan strips or just thrown away at this point. I guess what I'm trying to say is learn from my mistakes and keep a level head. Even if you have more bugs it's probably minimal and won't be as daunting as you think. Also I am clearly not an expert, just a pro at losing my mind over bedbugs haha.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 10:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Why would stuff that's in the freezer for a long time need Nuvan strips when you remove from freezer?

7. BuggeddOutt

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 10:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Once read an article about bedbugs that survived 12 months in a freezer. But mostly bc I have OCD. I'd rather *know* the items were definitely safe rather than obsess and worry over it. I know it's irrational but whatever helps me sleep at night, literally. OP: don't let my feelings about this overwhelm you, I clearly suffer from mental health issues but still wanted to give my 2 cents bc it doesn't have to be this way. Plenty of people become bedbug free without obsessing over it.

8. helpfreakingout

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 12:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, everyone, for the responses. I had an exterminator come today and he looked at the BB I'd put in the freezer and confirmed. (I went with North Eastern extermination which had great reviews on Yelp). He found a few eggs under the bed in the boards (I don't have a box spring) and so now I'm working on finding a good prep company to come and help me actually prep the space for it. He didn't find anything in any of the other rooms, though he'll be treating those as well. The only room I need to really prep is my bedroom. I think I'm going to take this opportunity to do a big purge of all my stuff, especially because I don't ever want this much stuff again if these things ever show up in my apt again :(

9. BuggeddOutt

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 12:56:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you! Thankfully you caught it early, and it's always great to have a PCO with good reviews!

10. killingthemsoftly

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 16:30:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So far, Bed Bug Laundry NYC (http://www.bedbuglaundrynyc.com) has been great. I did all of my own regular laundry and decluttering, but I am using them for their heat chamber, PERC dry cleaning, and storage.

Chris is quick to communicate with over the phone and txt, and more importantly, he instilled confidence immediately by answering a lot of questions and being well versed in the industry. He has clearly been calmly handling freaked out clients for years!

I don't know about them actually doing the bagging, because I wanted to go through all of my own stuff, but they have been great so far for scheduling pickup/dropoff - and long term storage is included for the items they are treating.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 21:28:49
    #

Login to Send PM

helpfreakingout - 8 hours ago  » 
    Thank you, everyone, for the responses. I had an exterminator come today and he looked at the BB I'd put in the freezer and confirmed. (I went with North Eastern extermination which had great reviews on Yelp). He found a few eggs under the bed in the boards (I don't have a box spring) and so now I'm working on finding a good prep company to come and help me actually prep the space for it. He didn't find anything in any of the other rooms, though he'll be treating those as well. The only room I need to really prep is my bedroom. I think I'm going to take this opportunity to do a big purge of all my stuff, especially because I don't ever want this much stuff again if these things ever show up in my apt again :(

Show us the pictures of the eggs please

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,558 posts in 46,603 topics over 142 months by 20,554 of 21,420 members. Latest: TRAY, tjg, jm1985