Should we break our lease? 5 months in

(6 posts)
  1. alyssabunch4

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 18:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

So in March, my partner and I got our very first apartment. To our horror, we now have bed bugs. Keeping in mind that we have no second hand ANYTHING, unless we picked up a random hitchhiker, we think the apartment building is infested. We told our landlord, and she said that it’s our fault, bed bugs can’t travel between apartments (yikes..) and that we will have to add to our monthly rent to essentially pay off the money it’s going to take to treat it. I want out. They are already handling this so poorly. I don’t want to risk an even worse infestation. And yes I know it’s very hard to move without bringing the bugs, but regardless i don’t want to worry about them coming back. The landlord even admitted that the apartment adjacent to us (connected by walls) had them a couple of months ago. But says it’s impossible we got them from them. I’m ready to pack my stuff and move back with my parents, taking every necessary precaution and tossing almost everything that isn’t necessary of course. We still have 7 months on our lease. Is it worth it?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 20:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

What state/area are you from? Your land lord is clueless and needs a better education with regards to bed bugs. Your new problem could have been there when you moved in. Could even have been the “source infestation” for other apartments in the building. Perhaps it started in the apartment she knew about a couple of months ago. They could even still have them. Even worse - maybe it started in another unit not even checked or reporting the problem.

Bottom line - I see crazy everyday in this line of work and don’t trust anyone’s word over my own two eyes. Your land lord needs to get a clue ... or may already have a clue and is playing stupid.

So let’s start with where you live and figure out if the housing laws are on your side.

3. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 20:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The landlord is either lying or ignorant. Bed bugs travel between apartments, that's a well known fact.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 20:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Should ask the land lord why I recently treated 15 apartments with confirmed bed bug issues in a 55 unit building. Could all 15 families have shared the same hotel room on vacation? She’s a dope!

5. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 13:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs void your lease just about everywhere. Look into it for your location, but odds are you can leave whenever you like. Your landlord clearly doesn't have a clue. I'd leave, very carefully of course.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 14:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't void any lease here in Florida, and I doubt it does in other states.

As long as the property management provide a reasonable amount of service to keep the property vermin-free then there is no voiding of the contract. I've dealt with that issue before.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,396 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson