Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Should I Trust my PCO? Is this a success story in the making?

(8 posts)
  1. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2015 16:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO finally came today. We tore open the baseboard which was the only spot the dog alerted to (after finding one 3rd or 4th instar bug on our couch and seeing 0 signs of any others anywhere.)

...nothing!! No cast skins, no poop, no bugs no eggs. The PCO said they could be "dormant inside the walls" but I've seen enough on here of people saying that bed bugs don't generally go inside walls unless driven there by DIY attempts to eliminate them... And I've never heard of bbs going "dormant" when there is a food source in the house that's just a night's crawl away. (Aka us.)

By the end he suspected that the dog's alert was to something residual from that one bug.

He also said after his one treatment we'd be able to run all our clothes through the dryer, but then hang it back up without needing to bag it--and that we can stop living out of bags now, there's no real risk of spreading them in our case... He'll be back in two weeks to do a residual spray along all the baseboards. (He said the spray is Demand 3% pyrethrin, and he is using a pyrethrin dust for things like switch plates and sockets.)

He is trustworthy that we can relax now with the living out of bags? It just seems to easy, but yet.... We have seen one bug, and 0 physical signs of any others.

They were never in the bedroom and we never had any bites so it's hard to accept that it may have been a false alarm... How will we ever ever know?

He also said we can have our new couch delivered on Saturday Jan 2 since any bugs should be dead by then and he can treat the new couch as well when he returns in the 11th.

Help?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2015 17:25:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You should start a 14 day countdown. Sounds like you caught them early enough.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2015 19:03:11
    #

Login to Send PM

What is a 14 day countdown?

And do you agree that we're safe to ease off a bit on living out of bags? Or is that after the 14 day countdown?

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2015 19:23:07
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can go 14 days without finding any more bedbugs, you're probably in the clear and can quit living out of bags.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2015 22:56:40
    #

Login to Send PM

A dog alert with an inspection that yields no visual evidence, we're told by experts, is not a reliable alert.

No visual signs of bed bugs means you probably don't have them and there may be no need for treatment. He may be giving you a treatment you don't need. Given the history, though, if that bed bug was never found and killed, it may be warranted.

Assuming treatment is warranted with a 2 week follow up, then I would keep cleaned items bagged until treatment is done and you're confident the problem is gone.

It's unlikely you will continue to have a problem, but as long as treatment is ongoing, I don't see why you'd put things back. Every PCO does not require clothing to be treated but just in case more bed bugs do appear, and assuming this pro did require it, you don't want to have to do it again.

You might want to use monitors because waiting to spot a bed bug can be unreliable.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 5:17:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know what passive monitors or active monitors are available in Canada? I definitely like that idea.

7. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 12:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, to be more clear--the 3/4th instar bug we found was killed. The dog alerted to the couch and chair (both already moved outside) and to the wall behind the couch but no physical signs were seen aside from 3-4 fecal spots around the area the one bug was found. (Which had the appearance of having eaten within about 4-7 days ago.)

I know we may have wasted $1500 on treatment, bags, cleaning equipment among other things, but bed bugs are an unchecked problem in my city. For peace of mind I'm glad spray happened. The PCO is doing a following treatment in two weeks either way.

We do not have easy access in Canada to packtite, passive monitors, active monitors or heat treatments and we do not have Vikane. I opted to play it safe, as this has caused me a severe mental breakdown and I do not want to risk having a full infestation pop up in a month.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 12:27:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Passive monitors are the idea in an occupied location (active monitors work better when the space is unoccupied by humans). I know Bed Bug Supply and US Bed Bugs will ship to Canada (see Useful Tools page).

However, there may be other online suppliers we are not aware of so please let us know if you find one.

Forum user Bed Bug Mutts is in Canada (Vancouver, I think) and uses the product and may be able to help if you send a private message to them.

Here's a source in Toronto if you're nearby.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970