should i treat new couch?

(4 posts)
  1. jennifer09

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 7 2008 21:18:42
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all,
    so i'm still getting bitten. i have no idea where they are and it's very disturbing. at any rate, i'm getting my 3rd (4th but 1st was done by inexperienced PCO) spray on saturday morning.

i am slashing and making my new couch impossible for anyone to use again. i also am having the city garbage peeps come and pick it up. it's important to be responsible if i'm discarding infested items!

my new couch is coming on friday. he should definitely spray the new couch right?

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 7 2008 21:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Jennifer09. It's very good that you are defacing your old couch and being very responsible in ridding of it.
    In the beginning of my infestation (before I knew of this site as well) My PCO had told me that couches are notoriously hard to treat. I have a family of 3 very small children. I was advised to discard the living room couch and love seat, which I did. I was unaware how hard it was to rid these bugs 100%. I went and I ordered the same custom couch I used to have. In 5 wks they called to say that it was in and ready to be delivered. The bugs weren't gone yet. (after 4 treatments) So I held off on delivery.
    Well, to make a long story short two more treatments later I still had bed bugs. I finally went into the store that I ordered my furniture from and told them what was going on in my home and why I needed a refund of my deposit. They were nice enough to mail me a letter stating that I can use that deposit on anything I purchase in the future. (the deposit, on contract was nonrefundable..$700)
    So, what I'm trying to get at is..getting a couch before you know that the bugs are totally gone would be a big mistake. That would be like unpacking your clothes at this point. Please, if you can wait a few months of no signs and no bites before you invest your hard earned dollars in furniture. It would really suck if you found out 3-4 months from now that the bugs never left and infested your new couch. It takes time but you will have another living room set again.

3. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 8 2008 1:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a note on upholstered furniture:
    IF you have a thermal treatment provider in your area is MAY be more cost effective to treat your couch that way. It is much, much easier to treat a piece of furniture like that with heat than traditional sprays.
    Good Luck!
    Tony Canevaro

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 8 2008 9:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

jennifer,

I don't know. They can treat infested couches, though I don't know about preventive spraying for new couches.

if you are buying a new couch and introducing it, the best way to not get it infested might be NOT to sit in it. There is no guarantee there, of course, but bed bugs are less likely to be attracted to the couch if you are not in it.

The best thing is not to bring in new furniture until you are fairly confident of being bed bug-free, though I suspect this was planned when you thought you would be.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW