Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Should I Tell?

(6 posts)
  1. mellowyellow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 13 2014 17:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved to my current apartment in April. I was having severe allergic reactions and have scars all over my body. My daughter is fine. Orkin confirmed bedbugs in August after 8 found 2 dead ones in between my mattress and box spring. They couldn't treat my apartment due to the real estate company having an exterminator. I proceeded to research everything about the b&€% ¥=!$ during my many sleepless nights. I encased and isolated. Saw new live bugs 2 weeks later. The real estate never sent him out again. The city of Chicago is suing the landlord. My former neighbor on the 3rd floor was treated 4 times this year. They're still here. Should I tell the city that they are trying to rent the 2 apartments above me? There was an infestation in my apartment 3 years ago too. The real estate did not give me the bed bug brochure and I wouldn't have moved here if I'd known about the previous infestation.

2. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 13 2014 20:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I would report them to everyone who would listen. I would go so far as to look up the rental company online and post several reviews warning people of their practices as well.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. mellowyellow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 13 2014 22:44:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks I will call on them in the morning and post reviews. I have been stopping every neighbor to let them know. The new ordinance says they have to treat until it's bug free. Here is what the city inspector put in his report.
    CN135016 Exterminate rodents in building and seal openings through which they gain access. (13-196-530 D, 13-196-630 C, 7-28-660) Building infested with mice, including Apts. 6851 S./ -1B; 6855 S./ 1B, 2A, 2B, 3B.
    CN136016 Exterminate roaches and keep dwelling insect-free. (13-196-630 C) Building infested with roaches, including 6851 S./ -1B and 6855 S./ -1B and 6859 S./ 2nd floor Apt.
    CN136026 Exterminate insects and keep dwelling insect-free. (13-196-630 C) Building infested with bed bugs, including Apt.6851 S./ -1B. Property must be effectively treated to exterminate bed bugs throughout by employing an experianced exterminator in abatment of bed bug infestation. Building Dept. will not consider this violations complied without proof of said extermination.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 13 2014 23:40:46
    #

Login to Send PM

mellowyellow - 6 hours ago  » 
    I moved to my current apartment in April. I was having severe allergic reactions and have scars all over my body. My daughter is fine. Orkin confirmed bedbugs in August after 8 found 2 dead ones in between my mattress and box spring. They couldn't treat my apartment due to the real estate company having an exterminator. I proceeded to research everything about the b&€% ¥=!$ during my many sleepless nights. I encased and isolated. Saw new live bugs 2 weeks later. The real estate never sent him out again. The city of Chicago is suing the landlord. My former neighbor on the 3rd floor was treated 4 times this year. They're still here. Should I tell the city that they are trying to rent the 2 apartments above me? There was an infestation in my apartment 3 years ago too. The real estate did not give me the bed bug brochure and I wouldn't have moved here if I'd known about the previous infestation.

The Chicago Bed Bug Ordinance is here and the city's bed bug information page is here.

According to the brochure you should have gotten from the landlord, the ordinance also specifies that

Landlords can’t retaliate against a tenant if the tenant:
    • Complains of a bed bug infestation to a governmental agency elected representative or public official charged with responsib- ility for enforcement of a building, housing, health or similar code.
    • Complains of a bed bug infestation to a community organization or to the news-media.
    • Seeks the assistance of a community organization or the news-media to remedy a bed bug infestation.
    • Asks the landlord to provide pest control measures.
    • Testifies in court concerning any bed bug infestation.

And notes that

What should I do if my landlord is not responsive?
    If you suspect there are bed bugs in your apartment, call your landlord immediately and follow-up in writing. Give your landlord up to 10 days to have a pest management professional come to inspect your apartment. If your landlord is not responsive, call 311 and file a complaint.

Given that you appear to still have a bed bug problem, you may need to repeat these steps. It's not clear what the expectations are for follow-up.

Finally, there are local tenants organizations which may help answer your questions. I have heard good things about Chicago's Metropolitan Tenants Association. This is their Bed Bug FAQ. You may be able to call their renter's hotline for suggestions on what to do next.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. mellowyellow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 14 2014 18:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks I called the MTO and they put me in touch with a lawyer. I'm waiting on the city to call me back. In the meantime, I'm looking for a new place and will leave everything behind.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 14 2014 19:52:30
    #

Login to Send PM

mellowyellow - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks I called the MTO and they put me in touch with a lawyer. I'm waiting on the city to call me back. In the meantime, I'm looking for a new place and will leave everything behind.

Another option, if funds permit, would be to treat your stuff (eg in a moving truck or pod) with sulfuryl fluoride (Vikane) en route to your new home. This would allow you to keep your belongings.

In any case, good luck to you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956