Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Should I sleep elsewhere?

(10 posts)
  1. I Me Mine

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 7:30:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted before about being highly allergic to the bed bug bites. I've been taking over-the-counter antihistamines to calm down the welts and try and prevent them. I'm on several medications and my mind was elsewhere so I didn't check drug interactions (and neither did the doctors). Turns out there's a very serious risk of heart attack when you mix antihistamines and one of my meds. It isn't one of those freaky rare side effects (supposedly). It is a very real threat. Everyone is freaking out about the severity of my bites and the possibility of anaplaxic shock since my body's reaction keeps on getting worse when I'm not taking an antihistamine.

I'm not sure what to do. I know that I should sleep in the bedroom to prevent them from spreading but I'm also afraid of the medical ramifications. I live on my own and I don't know many people here. I only know one person in my complex and not very well. I don't feel comfortable saying 'hey check on me every day...'. Should I sleep on the living room floor for now? Am I going to spread them further? I just had the second treatment today.

2. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 8:55:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully the experts can give your advice...

I know from personal experience. Before our treatments, My sister decided to sleep in living room instead of the bedroom and they found her. I'm glad you had your second treatment. Have you seen any? Did they treat all rooms?

3. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 9:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Im not sure of your apartment set up . If its a one bedroom or a stet up or not. I know you shouldnt move but I moved my son, knowing i shouldnt but he was highly allergic to the bites as well and couldnt leave him there. When i moved him , i made a barrier of double sided tape around the door (carpet tape) though its so strong it will peel the paint clean off the wall when u try to remove it. Then i took packing tape and sealed the door from the outside. I only went in daily to vacuum and steam I then would reseal the door. Good Luck ...

4. I Me Mine

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 18:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in a one bedroom. I am just at a loss for what to do.

The pest control guys told me they only saw them in the bedroom but I missed them after the second treatment. There is powder on two of the electrical sockets in the living room (but curiously only on the sockets where I had anything plugged in). I'm going to email and ask. I'm just worried about the worsening reaction to the bites and I know everyone else is as well. The first doctor I saw told me under no circumstances should I continue to sleep near the bugs.

I get a 3rd spray on Friday or A week from Monday so hopefully that last one kills all of them. I don't want to live in medical fear again. I've cheated death a few times in the past year, there has to be a point where my luck is going to run out.

5. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2013 4:25:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello I Me Mine,

I'm in a similar situation, taking several meds, sometimes the antihistamine makes things way worst in term of energy and there are some interaction there

I've been extremely isolated fighting this, and frankly I've lost almost every thing.

I would absolutely listen to the doctor if I was you, sometimes bed bug infestation can take awhile to end, and this can take a major toll

Do you have any family whatsoever or friends that would take you in for several weeks?
    If so do not hesitate, go ahead and decon your clothes with the dryer and go there
    I did not have that option myself and ended up way sicker than I should have

Are you able to take a medical leave from your job for awhile?

If you have a really, really good friend he couls sleep at your place while the treatment is going on act as bait and monitor the bites and see if the treatment is working

I would not kid around with a life and death situation

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  6. I Me Mine

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2013 5:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

No. I'm in school and I can't afford to take a medical leave. Well I could but I don't want to delay graduation or transfer to the school in my parents' hometown. My credits won't transfer and I just want this degree DONE. It is the latest in a line of things to go wrong here. I'm done being positive. I'm much like you where I am isolated and fighting this. I'm exhausted. I don't have time for school or my thesis and I'm only sleeping in fits, which is bad for my health. I'm not sure how much more I can take...

7. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2013 17:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I Me Mine

Sleeping in fits, I know it too well

you have parents? you are lucky

I hope your infestation ends early. Meanwhile you are risking your health and if you get super sick you won't be able to do your degree

If I were you I'd take a week and go to my parents and rest (dear God in heaven I wish I had that option even now)

my infestation is lasting a good 16 months, not over yet

when I was 1 month into it, I said I'm not sure how much more I can take, but I took and took and took, I think that the sleeplessness, the non-eating, the worrying, the bites, the itchings and everything else has done some irreversible damage

One thing you could do is give yourself a time frame and see if you can cope, but the allergy is extremely serious

if there is something that sucks more that a BB infestation, it's dealing with one completely on your own

8. Saturn

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2013 17:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you have to weigh the costs and benefits. Given your situation, I think that isolating your bed is a reasonable thing to do. It may make your infestation more difficult to treat, but given the health concerns you are dealing with, I think that's a price worth paying. I'd advise going for the "isolate the bed" approach rather than sleeping in the living room. Here's how: http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-do-i-protect-my-bed-from-bed-bugs-part-i/
    Good luck!

9. I Me Mine

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2013 1:34:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO came and sprayed for the third time today. He said there are no more bugs. Hopefully this is it!

10. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2013 8:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I Me Mine - 7 hours ago  » 
    The PCO came and sprayed for the third time today. He said there are no more bugs. Hopefully this is it!

Fingers crossed !!!!!! good news for you ! keep vigilant

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88