Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

should I really post this in 'success stories'?

(15 posts)
  1. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 11:23:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if I would call this success already, but maybe it will help someone out there feel better. I've been in my new apt. for 3 weeks and no signs of bed bugs (yet). I have not had any obvious bed bug bites since September in my old apartment after I threw out my bed and started sleeping in my daughter's room with her. I say "obvious" because like many other people have reported, I get weird itchy spots but there is nothing there (and my reactions to the bites were severe and immediate). I do sometimes feel invisible non-existent bugs crawling on me that aren't there, etc. Honestly, I've had to limit my time on this forum because it seems whenever I start reading, I get super itchy! I really think there is a psychological effect to reading bedbugger.com

For those who are new and never saw my posts or situation before, I lived in my old apt. from September 2007 to November this year. I started noticing bites around April 2008 but thought it was mosquitoes or fleas. I thought it could be bed bugs, but could never find the signs. I failed at the time to inspect my box spring :/ I had only been checking the mattress and sheets. I got bit all the way up to until September! No one else in my house was getting bit, except for one night when my daughter slept in my room, she got them, same reactions as me. I had very obvious and immediate reactions. My bites would either be huge white bites like mosquito bites, or even huger red, super hot welts. I would notice them as soon as I woke up, and then toward the end I would actually notice them AS they were biting. Finally when I caught one biting me I knew for a fact it was them, that's when I started sleeping in my daughter's bed with her. I had a friend come over and help me inspect and there was a huge infestation in my box springs. I threw out my mattress and box spring and never got bit in my daughter's room. I had been living in NJ in only a 2 family apt. dwelling so the law already made it hard to get my landlord to treat. He basically laughed at the situation. I had other issues with him anyway so I decided to move.

We moved out of there November 1st and I threw out the majority of my furniture and lots of other things. So we've been there 3 weeks and so far no signs of the bugs. I did put some DE around our bedrooms and yesterday I caulked most of my room, still got a little left to do though, and will be caulking the entire apt. in the next week or two.

So, there is one case (SO FAR, and praying to God and crossing my fingers) without treatment, of moving to a new place after a bed bug infestation...Please God, keep them away...FOREVER

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 11:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Great news!

I would not consider anything a success story so soon, but you're on the right track and I hope you never have to deal with this again.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 12:15:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I know the possibility is still there but I'm just so glad it hasn't happened since September, before we even moved. So now we are going onto 3 months with no signs. At least now I am in a corporation-owned complex so if it does happen again, they HAVE to treat and if they don't I WILL report them however I have to do it...

4. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 12:47:59
    #

Login to Send PM

3 months? AWESOME! Good luck!

5. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 14:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, Faye that's great to hear. I just want to add a side note for readers who are fighting the battle that I'm pretty sure Faye isolated her daughter's bed w/ vaseline on the legs and used DE around before she moved in there and didn't end up getting bit anymore.

I think that kind of info could be useful to some people who are looking for solutions.

I hope things continue to go well.

6. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 14:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

You are right, although my daughter was *not* getting bit in her room before I began sleeping in there, I did put some vaseline on the legs (did not completely isolate though) to be on the safe side, and put a little bit of DE along the hallway that led to her room, and inside the baseboards near her bed. I had also encased her box spring BEFORE it could get infested. They weren't in there to begin with, but I did do those few things and neither of us ever got bit in there, or any other room. I also would spray tea tree oil around her sheets, which from what I hear doesn't work for everyone, if at all, but it at least gave me a little psychological effect of peace of mind when going to sleep.

7. infest

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:11:55
    #

Login to Send PM

faye, can i ask you what you did with your electronics before the move? I am moving on monday and am getting rid of everything except my imac (because i can't afford to.
    I think it's safe but i want to be sure.

8. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I opened my computer and had a 'witness' inspect with me, we saw nothing but dust so we blew it out really good with a can of compressed air. There was no sign of bugs in it at all. When I got to my new apt. I just put a wee bit of DE around the rug where it sits. I didn't do much with my other electronics - other than the computer there was just the TV, which was in the living room and was not infested. I did the same with that, just sprayed it with compressed air and checked it visually. I believe I also wiped the whole outside of it and the little holes in the back with 91% alcohol. I don't know how effective it would be for other people but this is all I did. I could not afford to throw them out and get new and was NOT going 18 months without them. I did throw out my alarm clock just because it was near my bed and gave me the creeps.

I also threw out my scale which had been on my bedroom floor, I found a bug poop in one of the creases and it smeared. Yuck.

But so far, computer and TV have been fine.

9. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 17:03:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you can call it a success and that your war with bed bugs was a single battle.

I think if you know what your source of the problem was it is a lot easier to relaxing knowing to avoid it or at least be more vigilant with future exposures, after all we cant always avoid staying in hotels but we can always remember to inspect.

It can be very hard when you don't know what your source is, be it neighbour, the office or some regular place that you go. In which case the stress of checking everywhere can be a whole new issue of its own.

Hoping you are free and remain that way.

I am still to see any appliances infected that were not in the epicentre of massive infestations and lets face it a good open and dust blast does good. I am ashamed at the dust built up in my stereo system but it has travelled with me since the mid 80's.

David

10. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 21:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Another week later everything is still ok
    I am getting a wee bit concerned though, we have a big dumpster on the side of the complex for bulk stuff, and there are some creepy things in there...one mattress, someone else's boxspring all cut up with a knife, a recliner, a loveseat with no cushions...however, I think someone did just move out because it looks like the maintenance guys replaced a carpet somewhere. Well, whatever is going on over there, I hope it's not my strip. The complex has a few different strips/buildings - fortunately mine only has 5 units, other ones have more. Anyway, not sure if the creepy stuff in the dumpster is BB related, but I'm just glad they aren't here at the present time

11. faye

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2009 10:38:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to stop in and say I still haven't had the bed bugs since I've moved. THANK GOD! So there is hope for someone out there. Get rid of your furniture if you are going to move, wash your clothes really good, clean all kids' toys, do whatever you can if you're moving and hope for the best. I even got most of my new furniture off craigslist a year ago when I moved here and everything was safe, no bugs. Maybe I just got lucky? lol.

However, about 6 months ago, I drove by my old apartment where I had the bed bugs, and it looks like the new tenants finally discovered the problem. All their furniture was outside on the porch and mattresses/box springs were lined up along the side of the house. Then it looks like it all went to the curb for trash. So that slumlord STILL never did anything to get rid of them. So glad I left!

12. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2009 12:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

3 months is amazing! I'll take 3 days right now.

13. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 17 2009 0:19:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Good night, soscared. I hope you can sleep tonight.

Bait

14. faye

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 17 2009 16:43:56
    #

Login to Send PM

3 months? It's been a year now. My OP was posted almost a year ago lol. I was just stopping by to say a year later I still have no bugs. I hope you get rid of yours soon

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 0:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, faye, for the update. Congratulations!

I am adding the "Success stories" tag to this thread now!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs