Should I have my car fumigated too?!

(18 posts)
  1. paranoidinNE

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 22:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently(a few days ago) had a dog confirm that our unit, and another in our building has bed bugs so far only one specimen was found and confirmed... We're awaiting treatment for the apartment, but I'm curious if I should have my car treated as well? I know this may just be my own neuroticism, but I feel like I'm better safe than sorry, right? I bring my backpack, gym-bag etc in the car daily, and the dog sat after sniffing my gym bag - The Pest Control guy didn't think the car would be an issue but I feel like I should do something just to be safe. I've never dealt with this before, but between anxiety, not sleeping, and being generally freaked out I feel like I can't be too safe.

How have others treated their vehicles? should I be worrying about this? any input would be helpful

Thanks

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 23:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Were the dogs' hits visually confirmed per our FAQ on canine scent detection, or did the PCO just take the dog's word for it?

I personally would not worry about treating a car unless there was a visual confirmation of bed bug evidence in the car. You can use passive monitors in a car and you can have it inspected, but again, see our FAQ on bed bug dogs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. paranoidinNE

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 23:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the response.

The PCO outsourced the dog, and definitely took the dogs word for it - I found it a bit odd, and the handler did seem a bit aloof overall. The dog also hit on a storage trunk in our apt that contained scented candles, and potpourri(which I found odd given those can mess with a dogs sense of smell). Either way, I spoke with my landlord today and it sounds like he wants to have our vehicle treated with a residual spray just to be safe. He's going to treat both units with heat and a residual follow up which will hopefully take care of things in our immediate living space. I'm still a little worried about migration between the unit below ours and the one below our other infected one as well.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 7 2017 7:38:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a caveat since you're new here residual sprays are not 100% killers anymore. Check to see if the PCO plans to use a dust, too.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 0:54:57
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 1 day ago  » 
    Just a caveat since you're new here residual sprays are not 100% killers anymore. Check to see if the PCO plans to use a dust, too.

That's an incorrect statement. What professional products are you using that don't kill 100%?

6. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 7:42:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The research I've read from field studies in KY and NJ seemed to indicate that even the best residual sprays (I think Temprid and Transport were the ones studied) performed very well, but not 100%. I will find the studies and link them, if you need to see them.

Obviously, you're the expert and I respect your opinion a lot, but that was just some studies I saw. I would love to get your opinion about this, and which pesticides you get the best results from.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 10:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to use Cirkil and it had a 100% kill rate.
    It also had a 100% strong smell that lasted, and lasted, and lasted.

Of course if the same product were used and applied in the wrong areas or missed some spots it would not have turned out that way.
    It's more about those doing the treatment than what is used; my index finger has a 100% kill rate. (No residual though, haven't quite tweaked that part)

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 10:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Was the one sample found in your home?

If it was not and the only proof in your home is the scent detection then it would be best to frame this as "not confirmed" and to wait till you have it confirmed before looking to treat your home and the same goes for the car.

Confirm visually or do not proceed.

Hope that clarifies.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. Ombugsman

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 12:03:36
    #

Login to Send PM

@barelyliving The effectiveness of a chemical pesticide depends on the degree of resistance of the bed bug strain. Here's a quote from Potter lab study using Temprid SC:

Temprid SC was considerably less effective, especially against the two populations highly resistant to pyrethroids. No bugs from LEX-6 or CIN-TS succumbed during seven days of continuous confinement on treated surfaces, while 45 and 70 percent mortality occurred at three and seven days exposure of the moderately resistant (NY-1) strain.

It doesn't matter how you apply Temprid SC to those LEX-6 and CIN-TS strains; the product wasn't gonna kill them. The best PCOs rotate use of chemicals on their visits to mitigate risk of resistance and also use steamers and dusts. The very best PCOs will attempt to catch a bug during their inspection and then treat it with their chemical to identify any resistance before treating the residence. My worry is that many poor to average PCOs (so-called "spray and pray" group which only uses chemicals) might up the dose of their chosen pesticide beyond the label maximum to kill "moderately resistant" bedbugs on their 3rd, 4th... visit thereby jeopardizing the health of the residents. This risk hasn't received enough attention IMO.

10. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 12:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, yes, my experience when calling PCO's is that none of them ever indicated that they would test the bugs, 2 did rotate chemicals. Only 3 of the 12 or so companies I talked to in the 2 times I was looking would use anything other than spray pesticides.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 13:06:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Barely, consider the source of that information. The member is not a PCO. I've never tested a bed bug for its resistance to chemicals, choice of music or hairstyle, I prefer to just kill them.

12. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 13:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I've got a question for you. I'll start another thread.

13. Ombugsman

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 14:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Barely, consider the source of that information. The member is not a PCO. I've never tested a bed bug for its resistance to chemicals, choice of music or hairstyle, I prefer to just kill them.

BigDummy - Are you a PCO? If so, why don't you identify yourself like David Cain, Killer Queen, Jim Danca, Sheree, and others do? If you're not a licensed PCO, perhaps you should refrain from giving advice unless you're able to provide independent support for your position or at least identify yourself. In the meantime, I advise people to listen to Michael Potter, Jeff White and Richard Cooper rather than some guy on the Internet who puts himself out as a pro but won't identify himself like other professionals.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 14:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To confirm BigDummy works treating bed bugs in a number of environments from domestic to more commercial style settings. While he may not provide a service on a commercial basis to others he does work in a professional capacity providing a service killing bed bugs within his organisation.

In addition to his posts and the time he has spent listening to and learning from other professionals and articles over the years he has also earned my "hard won" respect for dealing with the kind of cases he does and for his methodical and scientific approach to dealing with things. While this might not be Stanford referencing format it does not detract from his field achievements and experiences.

As he came here to seek help as so many do / have done and ended up staying / participating because he reached a level where he could advise others, I actually think its very befitting that he keeps his original user name because that is in essence a large part of his journey and history.

David

15. Ombugsman

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 15:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually think its very befitting that he keeps his original user name because that is in essence a large part of his journey and history.

Fine to keep his user name but if he's putting himself out as a professional, he should identify himself in his SIG along with the nature of his professional work. Don't you agree?

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 16:22:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman,

We don't have a rule that pros have to disclose their real names. Most choose to and it does add something to their credibility if they're claiming to be experts.

Disclosure becomes important if someone's mentioning products, but that's a different issue.

Big Dummy's experience in treating many, many cases of bed bugs gives him a kind of expertise. A kind I don't have. Do you?

Note that we don't have a specific rule about trolling in the Forum Rules. That's because trolling is uncivil, and we do have a rule about uncivility. Trolling also can be seen as a kind of hijacking. Please don't do it.

17. Ombugsman

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 17:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Big Dummy's experience in treating many, many cases of bed bugs gives him a kind of expertise.

How do you know he's treated "many, many cases" of bed bugs? You're taking his word. There is no way to independently verify this. I could put myself out as a professional under a different ID and probably no one would know the difference.

Disclosure becomes important if someone's mentioning products, but that's a different issue.

BD wrote: I used to use Cirkil and it had a 100% kill rate.

Note that we don't have a specific rule about trolling in the Forum Rules. That's because trolling is uncivil, and we do have a rule about uncivility. Trolling also can be seen as a kind of hijacking. Please don't do it.

BD wrote: Barely, consider the source of that information. The member is not a PCO. I've never tested a bed bug for its resistance to chemicals, choice of music or hairstyle, I prefer to just kill them. . That's not trolling? He never responded to why it's a bad thing given resistance trends for a PCO if they're able to catch a bedbug during inspection to test it for resistance to the chemical which the company uses before spraying that chemical all about the residence. And FTR I didn't just make that up about testing for resistance before treatment where possible.

a kind of expertise. A kind I don't have. Do you?

Yes we have other things we bring to the table. For example, BD wrote:
    Of course if the same product were used and applied in the wrong areas or missed some spots it would not have turned out that way. It's more about those doing the treatment than what is used
    That's incomplete advice at best and very misleading at worst. If a victim's got a resistant strain of bedbug to a particular pesticide, it doesn't matter how skilled a PCO is in applying that chemical pesticide. The context of this discussion was chemical pesticides.

we do have a rule about uncivility

Let the record show BD has called me a "liar", a "fool", and a "troll". I know I'm neither a liar nor a troll and, as for fool, people may read my comments and make their own judgments. I have never made an ad hominem attack against BD.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 18:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman - 18 minutes ago  » 

Big Dummy's experience in treating many, many cases of bed bugs gives him a kind of expertise.

How do you know he's treated "many, many cases" of bed bugs? You're taking his word. There is no way to independently verify this.

You're right that we're taking him at his word. However, that's more or less true for most pros with declared businesses also.

I could put myself out as a professional under a different ID and probably no one would know the difference.

There are lots of unethical things people can do online, but we hope you won't.

[Edited (two minutes later) to add: we have had many people representing themselves as "pros" here over the years, and citing a business I have no doubt they own or work for. Many of them were not experts by any means. It's not a given that a pro really knows bed bugs.

On the other hand, Big Dummy has proven he has professional knowledge. He IDs fecal stains, which is not something just anyone can do, and I have a feeling if his IDs were off base, KillerQueen and David would be pointing it out. He has earned respect and his claim to do regular bed bug treatments is believed because he has demonstrated knowledge.]

BD wrote: I used to use Cirkil and it had a 100% kill rate.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The forum rules explain further:

Disclosure of relationships
    If you post about a product or service, you must disclose your financial connection to the firm or any freebies you've gotten (or other compensation) from the firm or their competitors. This includes professionals who have been paid to be involved in product development or testing, or who have done work for a company in the past. If you're not sure, it's probably best to err on the side of disclosing. This applies to consumers and professionals alike, according to FTC rules regarding endorsements implemented in 2009 which cover forum posts and blog posts and comments (some information on this here).
    Do not pretend to be a customer if you have a connection with a business. It is often quite apparent to us even if you think it isn't, and if we find evidence of this you may be embarrassed, and the firm that pays you will look bad.

The point of the first part is that if Big Dummy had a website linked to his profile where he sells Cirkil, or he had a hand in developing or marketing the product, or he has named a company he works for that sells it, he should probably disclose that. If none of that is true and he's been given freebies of Cirkil he should disclose that, and so on. Consumers don't always get this FTC rule applies to them too.

The rationale behind the last part ("don't pretend to be a consumer") is we don't want people pretending to be consumers reviewing or recommending businesses (their own or others) if they're in the business.

This happened a lot in the old days when marketers were less canny than they are now. Comically less so. As in, they didn't notice they were logging in to review a company with their work email address from same.

Comic relief! I miss those days!

BD wrote: Barely, consider the source of that information. The member is not a PCO. I've never tested a bed bug for its resistance to chemicals, choice of music or hairstyle, I prefer to just kill them. . That's not trolling?

"Consider the source of the information" is arguably a legit comment. You're not a PCO and my understanding is Big Dummy perceived you as giving advice about pesticides.

The forum rules also state consumers shouldn't be giving pesticide advice and other advice they're not qualified to give:

Giving Advice

Please do not give advice on anything you're not qualified to give advice about. This is tricky, in terms of rules, because to some degree, you have to regulate yourself.

Most consumers -- even those who have self-treated their homes -- should not be giving advice on which pesticides to buy and how to use them, for example, telling people to buy DE or how to apply DE.

Offering a description of what you did for yourself in a post about your bed bug story is okay but this is very distinct from suggesting others do something similar. If the thread is one where a request for treatment advice is being made by the OP, you may have already crossed the boundary between "describing how I got rid of bed bugs" and "giving advice to others on treatment".

Ombugsman said,

He never responded to why it's a bad thing given resistance trends for a PCO if they're able to catch a bedbug during inspection to test it for resistance to the chemical which the company uses before spraying that chemical all about the residence. And FTR I didn't just make that up about testing for resistance before treatment where possible.

No one can force another poster to respond to a question or comment.

I don't think you made it up, but I don't think I've heard of any pros who routinely do it. We wouldn't want readers to be frustrated because they don't have a PCO who does that.

Many seem to instead use some products or methods (like steam) which bed bugs aren't resistant to, to cover their bases.

a kind of expertise. A kind I don't have. Do you?

Yes we have other things we bring to the table. For example, BD wrote:
    Of course if the same product were used and applied in the wrong areas or missed some spots it would not have turned out that way. It's more about those doing the treatment than what is used
    That's incomplete advice at best and very misleading at worst. If a victim's got a resistant strain of bedbug to a particular pesticide, it doesn't matter how skilled a PCO is in applying that chemical pesticide. The context of this discussion was chemical pesticides.

I understood Big Dummy to be talking about Cirkil and to be saying that while it has a 100% kill rate, it won't kill 100% if applied incorrectly or in the wrong places.

Many of our experts have noted that where and how products are used is often more important than which products are used.

I don't think that's incorrect. Note that using a product some strains of bed bugs may have resistance to does not mean that's the only thing the pro is using.

we do have a rule about uncivility

Let the record show BD has called me a "liar", a "fool", and a "troll". I know I'm neither a liar nor a troll and, as for fool, people may read my comments and make their own judgments. I have never made an ad hominem attack against BD.

You should flag any posts you consider to be trolling or uncivil and I will investigate.

Note-- and I am speaking generally and not commenting on your example right now because I don't have the post in front of me-- that calling someone a liar or a troll is not necessarily trolling or being uncivil.

If someone is provably lying, it's the right thing to do.
    If someone is trolling, calling them a troll isn't uncivil.

The bottom line is that these kinds of digressions are disruptive to the thread. The OP didn't sign on for this discussion. I don't like to have these discussions on the forums themselves, but frankly, they sometimes need to be had.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com