Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Should I Do Vikane After Storing My Stuff in Storage Unit?

(2 posts)
  1. ljbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2011 14:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm hoping someone can give me some objective advice about my moving situation because I am very confused!

I had an infestation in my apartment about a year and a half ago. I'm still not sure how bad it was because, while we did find several bugs, it was mostly in odd places (bathroom, kitchen) since the main infestation was in another apartment.

I ended up moving and throwing away almost ALL of my furniture. I then put everything I could into a packtite, put that in a contractor bag, and put that in a plastic storage bin and taped the edges shut. The few things I couldn't packtite (2 butcher blocks and a guitar) I either cleaned thoroughly with Murphy's or put into a contractor bag with a Hot Shot No Pest Strip (or both).

It's now been 14 months. I have been back to the unit only once to pick something up. I packtited it before I brought it in my home. The few bags of stuff I brought with me have had no problems and in my new place I haven't been bitten or seen any signs of bbs.

I am now ready to pull the stuff out of storage to move into my new apartment. Part of me really wants to vikane everything to be certain I don't bring bed bugs into my new home. BUT I just don't think I can shoulder that cost (with signing a new lease and buying new furniture).

I want to see what everyone's thoughts were on this? Do you think it's safe to bring out as it has been so long and I was so careful while moving? Should I re-pactite everything? What should I do with the plastic bins? I have about 25 loosely-packed boxes in all.

Thanks!!

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2011 16:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane fumigation would be overkill after heat treatment and 14 months of isolation... If everything is packed in contractor bags, I don't think that there any need to heat everything again.

It has been a hot summer... All of the bed bugs should be long dead by now.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas