Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Should encasements be removed before spraying?

(3 posts)
  1. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 10:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

We've had one treatment done on the mattress and box springs for which we removed the encasements. Didn't see any activity underneath them when we took them off. I put them back on a couple of days later. We're about to have the 2nd round of spraying done this week. If the plan is for us to continue to have the encasements on so that anything that might be left inside stays inside and anything new outside is easier to spot and clean off, shouldn't we just leave the encasements on for treatment so the outside of them has the residual to kill bugs instead of covering over the residual with the encasements each time? Or should I not use encasements until treatment is done and we're past the 6 week mark without activity? It's getting annoying having to take on and off the cases for each treatment and I wonder is it's even smart to do.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince
  2. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Nov 7 2018 9:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

So I'm going to leave the encasements on this round and see if they complain. At least we had one treatment directly on the mattress and box springs but I am planning on leaving these cases on for the long-haul so it makes more sense to me to have them treated as is, in case any new bugs wander their way on top of them onto them. If they complain and say we need to remove them for future treatments, we will comply. At this point, I would be happy to hear specific requests from the Exterminator just so that I know that they're actually putting some effort into it and willing to communicate with us. Last time, they didn't even speak to us even though I left my number so they had no idea what the history was of the infestation to know where to focus.

3. keephopealive

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Nov 7 2018 11:13:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd say your logic is sound. The way I see it, if the mattress itself has been thoroughly cleaned, steamed and treated, then encased; any remaining bugs or eggs will be limited and should be sealed in with the poison (in the unlikely event they survive). If any make it out of the encasement then they'll be crossing the treatment on the exterior and any new bugs coming to the bed would do the same.

Add to that the fact that the encasement should (in theory) keep any bugs in and other bugs out I can't see that doing it any other way would make sense, otherwise you would theoretically be opening the encasement and releasing bugs each time...which in that case would render the use of the encasement unnecessary...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH