Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Short-term Shared Accommodation..came with bed bugs. Help!

(4 posts)
  1. ohhhgodwhyyy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 25 2014 15:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello bedbuggers

Firstly I am amazed by the size of this "community" and reading through it all has helped me to not feel so crazy since the discovery of my new pestilential companions.

However, I haven't been able to find any stories or advice relating to my specific situation, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I will but a tl;dr at the end but I feel like I need to explain a lot here.

4 weeks ago I moved into a room in a shared apartment. I am only renting it for 2 months while I look for a more permanent place. Since I moved in, I woke up itching several times in the night, however I had no visible marks so I assumed it was the laundry detergent or my new shower gel or whatever. I had a gentleman friend stay over one night last week, and he woke up literally COVERED in bites, so I decided to investigate. Lo and behold, beneath the mattress, in all four corners and the head board, were clusters of the f**kers and all the other classic evidence (shells, poo etc)
    No one in the flat seems to care, and they haven't seemed to find anything in their rooms, yet after further investigation I have found them living behind the pictures on the walls, cracks in the wallpaper etc.
    Since I haven't slept for the last week, and now spend unjustifiable amounts of time researching bedbugs on the internet, I am pretty sure the bed bugs were here before I was.
    My problem is now that most of the stuff in the room is not mine, as the girl that actually lives here is doing a semester abroad. This is a massive pain in the ass because I just don't know what to do about it. I bought a steam cleaner and 94% alcohol, dismantled the bed, moved all of her things to one side, and tried to create a safe zone where I could blast all my stuff with steam and DE and pack it into airtight boxes but I just feel like this is futile. I am so scared to take them with me to a new flat, but I don't want to stay here and pay another months (very expensive) rent to stay in a room full of bed bugs with people who don't give a shit and haven't offered to help me in any way at all. If it was all my stuff in here, fine, but there's a huge couch and 2 armchairs, the bed, desk, wardrobe (half full) and several boxes of her stuff that I just can't be responsible for.

What now?? Do I just leave now with all my stuff sealed up and hope for the best? Do I stay the remaining month and try to fight them single-handedly? I know you're supposed to call in the professionals, but I truly can't afford to and I don't see why it should be my responsibility, but I really want to make sure they don't infest my things that I brought into the room.

I am going mad.

2. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 25 2014 17:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

OGW,

I am so sorry you are in this situation. You are right, based on your description the infestation is well established and been there months.

If you PM the site admin, NoBugsOnMe (NBOM) with your location (city) she may know of some services to advise you legally.

Take pictures of the harbourages - in the four corners of the bed, the pictures, the chairs, etc., and not just in your room. They alone should be sufficient proof that the infestation is long-standing (just in case this becomes a point of contention). Collect some samples as well (scotch tape works well to pick-them up with distorting the bug; then seal the tape on a piece of cardboard and put in a ziploc bag for safekeeping (again evidence).

Depending upon what your stuff is, a portable heating chamber would be a good investment (we use the PackTite Closet) but do your due diligence as some are better than others. Otherwise, as you have discovered a hot dryer is your best friend along with ziploc bags and/or plastic airtight totes.

Once I had 'decontaminated' and sealed items, I would leave seeking other accomodation. I would also contact the owner and/or the rental contact demanding a refund. The owner really needs to know and absence does not absolve her IMHO.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. ohhhgodwhyyy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2014 15:04:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply Canuck!
    Luckily I did snap some pictures before I went mad spraying everything with steam and alcohol. I also had a dark moment where I realised collecting samples had become a bit of a morbid fascination and I now have several post-it-notes with bed bugs from varying stages of the life cycle.

Unfortunately my living arrangement isn't very formal, so there isn't really anyone I can speak to, it's just a bunch of students in a digs. There's no legal contracts or anything, I am just giving them cash for the 2 months I'm staying. Also I am living in a country where I don't speak the language and have never met the original owner of the room.

They weren't aware of this at all and seem to be subtly suggesting that I brought them with me, but I definitely didn't have them before. And I am the 4th person to live in this room this year. Just sayin'. I am wondering if you could advise on something else actually, if bedbugs arrived in the home in the form of eggs or nymphs, how long would it take for there to be adults and others from in-between life stages? I have only been here 4 weeks but I'm worried that it WAS me because I like to buy second hand stuff (ie scarves and books etc) and I would have noticed bugs, but not necessarily eggs.

So far my solution is as follows:
    Put everything I can live without for the next 3 months into boxes.
    Put DE into the box.
    Seal box.
    Store.

4. ohhhgodwhyyy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2014 15:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

and then obviously with everything that isn't in DEath boxes (which is really just clothes) I will go via laundromat to my new house and take everything there after a super hot spin cycle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982