Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Shoes by the bed at night?

(10 posts)
  1. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 19:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't sleep through the night without getting up at least once to use the bathroom, usually twice. As I walk from the bed to the bathroom, I don't want to pick up bugs or eggs on my socks from the floor and then transfer them back into my bed. I keep a pair of shoes (flip flops, actually) by the bed for this purpose but am worried that a bug could lay an egg on it.... I realize the odds are next to impossible but it concerns me. I don't want to contaminate my protected, isolated bed.

Thanks

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 20:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have infestation now? What about putting the flipflops in a ziploc when not in use?

I'm not an expert.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 20:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't confirm an infestation. Friend with bed bugs infestation visited 6 weeks ago and I'm worried he brought them in. I didn't know he had them in his house till after he left my house.

I have climb ups and a passive monitor (the black plastic and corrugated cardboard thing with the white border) but no bugs yet in them after a week - just bite marks in areas of 3 in a row that don't itch but they really hurt. I have taken the bed and boxsprings apart 4 times and found nothing, but the bites are making me suspicious. I have carpet beetles for sure, but with all of the steaming and vacuming I am doing for those, they are disappearing. I have a jeweler's loupe and confirmed they are carpet beetles for sure.

I like the idea of shoes in a bag. Thanks

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 20:28:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If you want to know the most OCD thing you can do, I'm a good starting point

I actually walk around barefoot, but I don't bring in outside shoes to the house. I have bad allergies. I keep my tennis shoes in one ziploc and dress in another. I only have about 8 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of boots, so it's no big deal.

5. rosiehatesbedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 20:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I also walk around barefoot til winter, but I think flip flops are probably a good alternative as they are open and you can see. Eggs are pretty evident. They are purly whitish not pure white. Take care. Hope you don't have any though.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 21:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You can also probably rinse the flipflops periodically in hot water if they have any places you can't see easily (like a hole where the thong part is attached). If you're just walking to the bathroom and back in them, they're probably pretty low risk, given how well they can be inspected.

Storing shoes you wear outside under or near the bed would be quite different.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. BedBugMutts

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 22:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Remember eggs are sticky when laid, and adhere to the substrate they have been laid upon. Takes some elbow action to dislodge.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 1:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point. So maybe choose some flipflops which don't have that big hole in the center that you can't really explore fully. I have seen some which are more solidly made.

9. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 8:03:11
    #

Login to Send PM

From personal experience, I also used flip flops as well and rinsed them daily in boiling hot water. Once we were in the clear I tossed them. Slippers were not an option..the bed bugs really liked my sisters fuzzy slippers which were tossed when we examined and saw the fecal matter.

10. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 14:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for everyone pointing out about the holes where the thong part connects to the bottom. I had not thought of that.

I found these plastic/rubber black step-in sandals that are all one piece with no place for bugs to hide. They're a base with a single piece that goes over the top of the foot and no holes anywhere. I put them in near-boiling water and they held up nicely. I can even scrub them with a stiff brush and they seem to be fine. They are making me more comfortable than the flip-flips thongs with the holes in them. I feel between their design and keeping them off the floor on an all-wire rack by the bed, it should minimize problems.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus