Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Shoe treads harboring bugs?

(4 posts)
  1. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 13:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I was reading an article online (sorry, I did not keep the link) that involved bed bugs and work and prevention tips to keep you from bringing them home. The article mentioned inspecting your shoes before leaving the office, specifically, the shoe treads. To me, inspecting the shoes makes sense but I question the treads. I can see how bugs could hide in the treads initially, but wouldn't they come off when you started walking? I seem to remember this advise in more than one place online and it did not make a great deal of sense to me. If anyone knows something about it, I'd love to know. Thanks

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 13:48:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are working in a heavily infested location then yes shoe treads can be an issue.

If you are working in the "average" or "normal" working environment then its not a priority step in the approach to not taking bedbugs away with you.

If you always check and visually inspect the items you interact with then you avoid them in the first place.

The single "rogue" bedbug is never going to jump onto your shoes like a Star Wars rebel scaling an AT-AT on the planet both. That is actually a very silly battle front to try and fight on because it feeds and fuels obsessive behavioral rituals and unless you can harness them as a job and career its not very healthy (not even sure it is in the work context).

I cant wait till such articles are scare mungery of the past but I fear someone is preparing to market a scented shoes spray as we speak.

Hope that helps,

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 14:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I have a photo of a single rogue bedbug that almost got into my car by hanging onto my shoe! I admit I don't check my clothes after being in a house I have seen no evidence of vermin in, but definitely check them now if I have reason to suspect or actual PROOF. In this particular house I found an adult female walking across the floor...

Now on office days I never check myself for bed bugs. Ain't nobody got time for that!

4. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 12 2013 8:29:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, thank you, that does help and it makes sense. Everything I take into my office stays in a giant zip lock bag all day. We have not had reports of bed bugs in my area at work (thank god) but the zip lock makes inspection exceptionally easy.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs