Shoe Solution without Packtite

(4 posts)
  1. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2016 13:27:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this yesterday in response to someone's post about shoes, but I wanted to make it more visible so people can find it in the future. Basically I figured out a way to use the dryer to heat shoes without making them tumble--doing it with my gym-shoes (trainers) first inspired me to thread laces through and suspend good shoes too. I hope it works for you. Basically the knot must be large enough to secure the shoes on the outside-top of the door, while the shoes hang against the door (suspended and do not tumble) during the cycle. Read more for instructions!

SHOE SOLUTION:
    I tried the laces on my trainers and then put the shoes inside but held the knot above the door to the dryer, then shut the door carefully so that way the shoes would DANGLE in the dryer (suspended by the knot on the top/outside part of the door) and not tumble around.

In addition, I put an extra shoe lace through the zipper-pull's hole of my nice shoes.. or in one case there were no places to thread the lace through nice work shoes, then I wrapped/taped (no one looks at the bottom of your shoe anyway) the shoe lace beneath both shoes to tie them together,.. and once again tied a knot in the shoe-lace, held the knot above the door (with the shoes inside) and shut the door.. so the shoes are suspended inside of the dryer and do not tumble around.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. The steamer that I ordered was not hot enough (returned it!) and as a grad student I don't have money for a Packtite... I WAS SO PROUD TO FIND THIS SHOE-SOLUTION!!! TELL ALL THE PEOPLE.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2016 13:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

That is a really smart idea, well done! I've played around with making racks and all kindsa contraptions trying to further utilize a dryer but I never thought to do that. I'll be stealing that idea, thank you.

3. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2016 15:17:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess that one could also do this with other items too: just put a string/shoe-lace through the middle of an open book (although I have too many books to do this with all), around a figurine/toy, etc., tie a knot in the string and suspend the knot on the outside-top of the door, with the item dangling inside... and it will get heated without tumbling. Shoe-laces aren't that expensive.. hopefully this will save people from buying the Packtite, if possible, or at least a solution to use in the meantime.

4. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2016 18:57:54
    #

Login to Send PM

This is probably considered slightly too dangerous for this forum, but if you just remove the belt that turns the tumbler in your tumble dryer you essentially have a packtite.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323