Shell ID please

(3 posts)
  1. pw416

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 13:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

long story short, we had our house sprayed for bedbugs a few months ago. Now we have found these shells. The exterminator claims we have carpet beetles, but I get the feeling they might just be trying to avoid spraying again for free. Any opinions or advice would be hugely appreciated!

https://i.imgur.com/CPvM0Xb.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/80ioTER.jpg

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 14:20:13
    #

Login to Send PM

pw416 - 37 minutes ago  » 
    long story short, we had our house sprayed for bedbugs a few months ago. Now we have found these shells. The exterminator claims we have carpet beetles, but I get the feeling they might just be trying to avoid spraying again for free. Any opinions or advice would be hugely appreciated!

No, he's correct. Carpet beetle larvae & shed skins. Were bed bugs found a few months ago or were skin lesions the reason for spraying?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. pw416

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 14:44:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the reply!

When we had the spraying done, it was because of what appeared to be bites on my wife and son, and from the exterminator having found shells, which he said were bed bugs (but which look suspiciously like the ones I just posted). We were obviously mortified and opted for a spray package immediately.

We've never actually found a live or dead bedbug, or any blood stains or fecal matter, before or after the spraying.

In any event, I'm really glad to hear that they are carpet beetle shells and not bedbugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,179 posts in 45,459 topics over 138 months by 19,974 of 20,737 members. Latest: ihatebugsugh, Ladybeetle, bedBugsareSatanic