Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Several Questions

(10 posts)
  1. jb2007

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2007 15:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read alot of info on this site - thanks - But have a few questions for clarification...please help

My situation - I have only started realizing I had itching and bites in the past 2 weeks to a month. As soon as I realized it might be bedbugs I called my LL. They are sending Terminex out soon. BUT in the meantime, I'm wondering how to deal.... I have a 2 bedroom apt. and my 8 yr old son lives with me. He does not seem to have BBs in his room. His mattress has always had a cover on it too.

(1) Do the bugs bite every night?
    (2) Does it help to spray myself with rubbing alcohol?
    (3) If I keep them at bay for a day or too, does that mean they will come looking for me in other parts of the house including the futon in living room or my sons room?
    (4) Has anyone ever had them bite them on the scalp?
    (5) I put tape on my bed and entry points on my body to try to catch them with no luck. I have never seen one and do not see any evidence of them on my mattress. I have a new bed with no holes on corners that I can see....GHow do I know how many there are? Is it possible they were only in some clothes I was keeping next to the bed and would crawl onto the bed at night? I dried the clothes for 90 mins in laundromat drier.
    (6) If I shower, put on clean clothes and sleep with the lights on on the futon will they come from my room and bite me on the couch?

I know this is a long post but no one else seems to know....Thanks for your help.

2. persona-non-bugga

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2007 20:40:14
    #

Login to Send PM

(1) My understanding is an individual bed bug feeds once every few days. But a person may still get bitten every day, since an infestation involves several bugs - all on their own feeding schedule.

A person may not react to every bite she receives. A lot of people don't react to bites at all. So even though your son isn't showing any reactions (thank goodness!), if there are in fact bed bugs in your home, they may still be biting him. Putting a "bed bug proof" cover on the mattress is a part of treatment, but bed bugs could be anywhere in the home, including - like you mentioned - a pile of clothes.

(2) Rubbing alcohol has no residual impact on bed bugs. It'll kill them on contact - if you spray the bug directly. But once the alcohol dries, it does nothing to keep the bed bugs away from you.

(3) & (6) Please don't sleep on the living room futon. If you move to a different sleeping area within your home, you can bet on the bugs eventually following you there. There might not be any bed bugs in your living room right now. But sleeping outside your bedroom will encourage them to spread.

Sleeping with the lights on doesn't keep bed bugs away for very long - if at all. A lot of people get bitten in the daytime. These bugs have been found in well-lit workplaces.

(5) Do you know for certain whether you have bed bugs or not?

If you do have them, then, in my opinion, treating an entire home comprehensively offers the best shot of wiping them out. No one can confidently pinpoint ALL the locations a bed bug might be hiding in a home. So proceed with treatment as if they're everywhere in your apartment - even if they're not.

Since bed bugs can hide in any crevice - it's self-defeating to hope/assume they're only in one place and to take action based on this unlikely premise. Lots of people report doing this and the problem only gets worse.

also jb, look into having the apartments adjacent to yours inspected for bed bugs. If they're there, then treating one apartment won't be effective if these pests are moving through the building ductwork.

Good luck! And it's a good thing that the landlord is sending a professional in, so keep heart.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 0:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

1/ Each bug is probably biting once a week, maybe a bit more.

3/ Yes. Do not move, you will spread them.

4/ We're told they don't like being in human hair, but a few people have mentioned finding them there. Presumably if they are on your scalp, they will bite there.

5/ I don't know what you mean about taping "entry points on your body," but bed bugs will walk onto your bed and can walk around tape. It is very hard to know how many there are. But if you are allergic and so see bite marks or feel itching, and you get new bites more than one per week, I'd assume you have multiple bed bugs. Seek out a qualified Pest Control Operator. See our FAQ on how to choose one. Get professional help ASAP, and read the FAQ on tenants if you are one, to see if the landlord is liable to pay.

Do not assume your son is not being bitten. Many people do not react to bites (getting marks and itching is an allergic reaction; those not allergic can still be bitten).

You need have no actual bugs in the mattress or bed frame. They can live in any crack. They can hide in the thinnest cracks (thin as a credit card) and so hide very well.

I also wondered if you're sure it's bed bugs?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. jb2007

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 1:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You all asked if I was sure it was bedbugs....May I ask if what I am describing sounds like something else that rings a bell with you.......I think its bedbugs because most of my bites have been on my knees to my ankles and feet. I've had a few bite son my arms. I wnt to the doctor and thy are not scabies. The bumps appear to surface after waking up during somepart of the day....They are small in size, pimple-like almost, itch and then evenutally go away. I looked up bird mit info but cant see why I would have them. On the other hand I do have the sensation of things crawling my skin sometimes but saw what you all wrpote about that being normal....Bed bugs seemed to fit more based on what I read in the FAQs....Any thoughts? And thanks for the earlier replies

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 2:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

How long has it been going on, jb?

6. persona-non-bugga

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 11:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

jb - It's very wise to try to catch bed bugs as early as possible, and learning about them can only be helpful for future prevention. But, thankfully, just because a doctor tells someone they don't have scabies doesn't automatically mean they have bed bugs. Have your neighbors had bed bugs? If yes, then I'd be more alarmed. Did you recently bring a piece of used furniture into your home? In the absence of physical evidence or other risk conditions, it would probably be in the best interest to investigate further before concluding bed bugs. Who knows? You very well could have bed bugs, but I hope you don't.

Terminix is coming in soon, right? If he's a decent pro, then he'll know where and how to search for physical evidence of these suckers. Maybe then, answers will be more forthcoming.

Also, there are thousands upon thousands of things that cause itchy skin reactions in humans. For example, do you shave or wax your legs? I do, and I'm prone to ingrown hairs that cause itchy little pimple-like bumps that go away by the end of the day but will inflame if scratched. Been anywhere infested with fleas? If they're in the floor, they tend to bite only about as high as they can jump - up to the knee. If they're in furniture, fleas will bite elsewhere on the body. I once saw a non-fiction movie where the guy was desperate for a diagnosis behind his itchy skin. After a dozen doctors, turns out it was a symptom of lymphoma. :/

I'm not telling you this to alarm you, just to give you an idea of the variety of things that cause people to itch. If your doctor wasn't able to give you a positive diagnosis ... well, take the anecdotes I've offered for what they're worth ...

7. jb2007

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 15:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

My bites have been occuriring for about 3 weeks now. I don't shave, ise different detergent, haven't brought any new or used furniture in my house during that time, don't own pets....etc etc. These are real bites not itchy skin. But something interesting....I am in CA where we have been having lots of small earthquakes. My room has a very small crack in the paint ni the corner of the wall where my bed is usually next to. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Apparantly no one else has complained to the apt. mgrs., but then again there has been high turnover recently. Some people just moved in below my apt. within the time frame I describe. So while I'm still waiting on Terminex, I dried all of the clothes right next to the bed and moved my bed from touching all walls, took off my comforter and slept in new sheets last night and encased new pillopws. I don't think I was bitten last night. I'm wondering could whatever it is have just been in the clothes sitting next to my bed or in the cracks in the walls.

Also, how can I safely get rid of my futon mattress. I noticed the zipper was slightly opened about 2 inches and there is no way I'm keeping it...I need a new one anyway and there's no way for me to completely rid ir of whatever given the material inside and its function....

8. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2007 13:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The main reason you encase a mattress (or a futon) is that if there are bed bugs inside, you lock them in. You then have the option of keeping that mattress.

If you buy a new one, you can encase it to keep bugs from getting inside. To get rid of the old one, slide it into a big contractor clean-up bag to carry it out so you don't inadvertently spread BBs to the hallways, etc. Remove the futon from the bag outdoors, slash it up with a knife, spray paint it, pour something on it or do something to make it look really bad so no one will take it home with them.

The bugs may be hanging out in your pile of clothes, but if they really bit you, then they left that pile and came over to you. They may not all have returned to that pile -some may have found decent hiding spots in the bedframe, the mattress or the night table. You cannot assume that since you have washed the clothes, you've solved your BB problem.

Your BBs may have migrated from a neighboring apartment. A new crack in the wall may have been just the opportunity they were looking for to leave the wall void and come in. Or that new crack may have nothing to do with their arrival at your place. In any case, you will want to seal up that crack, if you can, and your PCO may want to treat behind the cracked wall before you seal it.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2007 15:33:27
    #

Login to Send PM

And just to add: the PCO may want to treat the mattress before you encase it. If you encase now, use a cheap one and replace with a good one when the PCO has treated it.

10. TorontoBugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2007 16:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Rubbing alcohol I imagine dries out the skin esp. if it's over 70%. My bottle says that it is used to prevent bedsores by toughening the skin. I personally wouldn't rub or spray it liberally on my body for fear of getting elephant skin later.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen