Seriously freaking out over possible found bug

(9 posts)
  1. boobugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:25:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So for the past month and a half, I have been getting bites all over: some randomly alone on torso, legs and then some somewhat close together on back (lower and upper), arms, two on neck and chest area (under bra, near bra line, etc). Sometimes super itchy and then sometimes not at all. I have a mattress cover and then recently put one on the box spring a week ago. My boyfriend is not getting bit at all (either is my cat, although I can't really tell since he scratches randomly since we got him in December). Sometimes I wake up to them and other times they appear during the day or night.

We both live in a woodsy area and walk around parks a lot and eat outside. Then yesterday I peered under our bedside lamp and a tiny white bug crawled slowly out. It didn't move that fast and I was able to go and get some tape to trap. I noticed another slow moving one after that and put them both into a pill jar. I saw the exterminator today for an ID and he couldn't rule out bed bugs since they were tiny and the tape kinda obscured them. He said they could also be bird mites (we have windows that look out onto a ton of tree tops) or book louse. Does anyone have any thoughts on what they might be? Sometimes I wake up to them and other times they appear during the day.

We just emailed our landlord with the exterminator's recommendation to contact a canine dog that just does canine ID (and not extermination to avoid any ethical conflict) and to add cups underneath our bed posts to catch bbs if they are there. Needless to say I am FREAKED out and would LOVE LOVE LOVE any words of wisdom, support or success stories. Thanks!

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:50:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a 10X magnification lope to examine it.

Better yet post a picture for us to see. book lice (psocids) are easy to ID from bird mites or BBs.

You must have mashed them real good or your PCO needs an eye exam if he couldn't tell between those 3 possibilities.

Jim

3. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

white doesn't sound like a bb unless maybe a tiny tiny newly hatched bb perhaps....
    I'm only 17 days into this myself but BOY have I learned a lot in that small amount of time.

One bit of advice I can give is to stay calm and relaxed and know that if it is, you will take care of it and it will once be over.

I don't have a success story yet, but I've come VERY far in 17 days. There are a few success stories on here though. a few posts back, if you read, there's one about "how long have you been bb free"

It's going to be okay, especially since you might not even have them!

4. boobugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:54:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Cool. I will definitely take a photo to send over. I don't think I mashed it too badly, but I got the sense from the exterminator that it was just to small to ID---even with magnification--so he couldn't confirm it to be 100percent one thing. He did say they are really hard to catch, so I am hoping that since it was really easy for me to do so, this means it is something else? Am I just wishful thinking? Thanks so much for the reply, btw!

5. boobugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 17:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bed Bug Epidemic! I think a large part is mindset, but it is insanely hard to keep it together---not to even mention being "normal" at work! The ironic thing is that I have been the most neurotic about BBs for years out of all of my friends and now look at the situation.

Yeah, the bug was definitely white, but it didn't look like a newborn (from what I can tell from images, at least). Of course under the tape, it appears to be less white now, but the tape is a slightly yellow packing tape. But I appreciate any support or tips!

6. boobugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 17:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg: should I just take an iPhone image? Or do you need a photo with magnification?

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 18:07:17
    #

Login to Send PM

A good well focused picture is best.

Stick a magnifier up against the lens for a magnification shot. Radio Shack has a cheap 3 lens magnifier that you can get 5, 10 or 15X magnification.

ID is crucial in this war and the devil is in the details.

Take whatever you can and let the educated amateurs and the professionals judge.

Jim

8. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 20:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

It also helps if you put something like a penny in the photo with the bug for scale.

9. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 16:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

boobugs:
    Funny you should say that. Years ago I saw a special on bed bugs and how they were being found in some refurbished mattress', etc. Scared the crap out of me, so since then, i've been scared of them. I vacuumed my mattress' and washed my bedding in hot water every weekend because of it. Thinking that would be all it took.
    It's like, I must have thought they appeared out of thin air bc I really thought those things alone were going to keep me safe.
    ugh!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox