Self-Treatment Options

(5 posts)
  1. BuggerOffNY

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Sep 13 2018 20:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

My last post got eaten somehow so I'm reposting. Sorry.

I've read quite a few threads on this forum. I can't seem to find one that details how to go about self-treatment. Most posts regarding self-treatment are full of a bunch of people screaming not to do it.

I understand self-treatment isn't the best option. It's the only option available to me. I simply can't afford the hundreds to thousands of dollars it would cost for a professional to do it.

Through my research, I've learned that no single treatment option is going to help and that it will likely take multiple treatments.

So I'm here seeking advice on how to self-treat this problem.

I live in southwest NY. I do live in an apartment. But, fortunately, my apartment is all hard floors with very few cracks for them to hide in and I haven't, up to this point, done anything in an attempt to treat them. So my hope is because I haven't screwed with them and they haven't had trouble getting a meal, they haven't spread. My room is also on the edge of an outer wall. They would have to go quite far to get to another apartment. I've only ever seen them in my room. Fortunately, I don't react to the bites. I've physically seen them, though. The eggs, the nymphs, and the adults. They are feeding. I'm the only person in the apartment.

I can't really say how bad the infestation is. Sometimes I see one hanging out on the side of my box spring. And if I look in some of the seams, I can see what I assume is their nest. This is where eggs are located, and where they appear to be "sleeping".

It started at my previous apartment. Someone moved in, brought the bugs with them. It was a single room with shared facilities situation, so they spread rapidly to every room. They had someone come in to treat them. Initially they only treated the rooms that were reporting infestations. Which I'm sure just caused the bugs to spread out even worse. The people who did the treatment likely didn't have a single clue, either. My room was only ever treated once. And it was only a single treatment done with a pump sprayer. I left the bed behind when I moved, washed and dried all my clothes and put them in sealed bags until I arrived at the new apartment. Somehow they managed to hitch a ride. It's theoretically possible my new apartment was already infested but, given the circumstances, I find that unlikely.

Unfortunately, given the fact the bugs most likely came from me, my landlord wouldn't be responsible based on my local laws.

I've looked online at kits. The most comprehensive one I found included the following:

• Bellow Hand Duster
    • Steri-Fab Insecticide
    • Zenprox Aerosol
    • CimeXa Insecticide Dust

It's out of stock. It appears Zenprox has been discontinued and replaced with Zenprox Xtend and the website hasn't updated this kit.

Is this kit a good treatment option? If not, what should I get instead? Zenprox Xtend is rather expensive compared to Zenprox and Bedlam. I can buy the equivalent of this kit on Amazon for around the same price. So that's an option. I can get either Zenprox or Zenprox Xtend.

I'd like to keep things around $60 for at least the initial treatment, if possible, as that's about all I can afford in the next couple weeks. That said, I'd rather spend more to get a treatment that's actually going to work, than spend less for a treatment that's unlikely to work. If I have to save up a bit longer to get a better treatment option, so be it.

Pls halp.

2. BuggerOffNY

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Sep 13 2018 21:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Here are some photos for confirmation.

Imgur Album

3. BuggerOffNY

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Sep 13 2018 22:26:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also considering the Botanigard 22WP route. I'd like to go with Aprehend as that's the official treatment. Unfortunately, it's not available for sale to non-professionals. Most of the threads I've read about this option are from before it had been thoroughly tested, so the information is rather sparse and full of people saying it's untested, probably won't work, etc.

Does anyone know if Aprehend is effective? Is it something you would apply on its own, without any other form of treatment? Are there good treatments to go with it? Any ideas on what the oil solution is that allows it to withstand low humidity and stick around for longer periods of time? Aprehend seems to be the most effective treatment available, given that it spreads to other bugs and infects their nests etc. It seems, in the event the bugs have spread, this would be the best option as it is likely to spread itself to any other apartments that have been infested.

I know Botanigard 22WP isn't approved for in-home use to treat bed bugs. I'm not asking about that. I'm asking specifically about the effectiveness of Aprehend and whether it contains anything in addition to Beauveria Bassiana GHA.

4. Thissucks42

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 1:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure this is effective because it's still early (3 nights with no sign of the bugs) but steam, vacuuming, DE powder (I've heard cimexa is more effective), a mattress encasement, passive monitoring things for the bed, and ethanol.

You will also need to bag your room, wash everything in hot water and dry on high heat for a minimun of 30 min. Being thorough is the name of the game.

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 16:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

You will also need to bag your room, wash everything in hot water and dry on high heat for a minimun of 30 min

It's the dryer that kills them. Items that don't actually need washing can be put straight into the dryer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,286 posts in 46,766 topics over 142 months by 20,635 of 21,518 members. Latest: alerton, paulfoel, Miggle