Self-treating my studio

(4 posts)
  1. Livingmynightmare

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 12:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all I'm currently coming to terms with this nightmare. I thought I did all I could do to avoid getting bed bugs, especially since I have a diagnosed phobia of bugs, and also because they're nasty little creepers. However, about a week after my studio apartment was inspected for bed bugs and I was told there was nothing (routine check up as per the building's policy) I found 3 adult bugs, all on my bed, on different days. The PCO my building uses took almost 2 weeks to come, even though I had been saving the bigs in ziplock bags to show proof. They eventually treated my place, even though they felt that there was no infestation and they didn't even find a single sign that I had them. I just don't have any trust in these people anymore. I can't believe that they're doing the best they can for me, since they essentially think I'm making this up. So, I've been looking into treating my place on my own. I have a small studio, just under 700 sq, and I have gone through and washed every single item of clothing I owns then put them into ziplock bags. I have also encased my mattress, box, and pillows. My question is, why can't I use a fogger that is labeled specifically for bed bugs? I'm just very certain that the PCO is not interested in exterminating these bugs, so I'm desperate for solutions on my own. I love this website! Thank you for maintaining such a wealth of invaluable information.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 14:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Please read the FAQs, particularly this one which explains why you should not use a fogger.

Successful DIY routes include steam and DE (if you choose and use it correctly and safely don't overapply).

Some experts here may give advice on other pesticides. You will do better doing your research and learning to use better products and avoiding OTC ones, even if they're not foggers.

HOWEVER, before you do any treatment, you really need to visually confirm the presence of bed bugs. The first four FAQs here will help with this.

Confirming the problem is important because if it's not bed bugs, you are wasting time and money and it won't solve the problem.

And if you do have bed bugs, I know you will be able to find a professional who is more experienced and knowledgeable and would be willing to treat based on evidence. They're likely to do a better job more quickly than someone with no experience.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. invisibleman

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 14:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pest control professional, so my knowledge isn't nearly as great as many here. But i'll give my best suggestion:

For bedbugs, it's widely thought foggers will not solve your problem and are something that you should stay far, far away from. Bedbugs are very tiny and thin, so they can crawl into tiny spaces, cracks, and gaps. The fog probably won't penetrate all of these areas, and some other bugs might be able to crawl to safety, say, behind your wall, where there's no fog and you won't be able to find them. Foggers might kill some bedbugs and maybe your infestation will seem to subside, but almost certainly at least a few will survive the fogging, and it will continue. Many say foggers make solving the issue even more difficult; as I understand, the survivor bedbugs (and their babies, and their babies...) tend to be more dispersed and in harder to find locations (like inside your wall) after the fogging.

It is absolutely irresponsible and negligent of Home Depot and Hot Shot (or whatever shit brand they use) to sell foggers labeled for bedbugs. Foggers *may* be okay for some flying insect infestations, although I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to use them at all. But not so much for crawling insects. There's additional concerns about foggers as a safety hazard; the gas they release is quite flammable, and there have been a number of house/building fires resulting from things so little as the gas being ignited by your stove's pilot light. So anyone who does use one, be careful.

Some off-the-shelf products seem to be okay. I've found at least a couple of products with the same active ingredients as the original Bedlam spray (0.40% sumithrin and 1.53% MGK264), which seemed to be a pretty well regarded product. They're Raid MAX Bed Bug & Flea (upc 0476500730023), and Orkin Home Defense Bedbug Killer (upc 071549019822). These aren't complete solutions to your bb problems though.Now the company that sold Bedlam now sells Bedlam Plus, which also includes imidacloprid.

Do a lot of reading here if you want to take action yourself, or you are probably better advised to work with a pest professional. Check landlord-tenant laws in your city/state (or country if not US); some give very good protections for renters in event of bug infestation.

Also...I figure 700 ft^2 is actually pretty big for a studio apartment. Mine is about 275 ft^2...now that is small!

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 22:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear lvgnightmare,

What questions do you have ?

Let me know and I'll do my best to help you.

paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956