Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Seen bugs but no bites. How bad is this?

(4 posts)
  1. dowehavebugs

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 23:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Others in our building have bedbugs - visible bites. We allowed our landlord to treat our apartment just to be safe. Unfortunately, their exterminator used a fog. Two days after the fogging we saw a bedbug crawling in our apartment. Now weeks later we have seen two more. None of us in this apartment has any bites. Also, we are moving in 2-3 months.
    I contacted who seems like a reputable and experienced bedbug exterminator and he emailed me his bedbug checklist of what we need to do before treatment. As many of you know, these preparations look very time-consuming and expensive (all the dry-cleaning, rug cleaning and curtain cleaning).
    The questions: Do we have a bedbug problem? Do we need to go through all of this bother and expense? Is it ridiculous to take the chance and move without any further extermination or treatment?
    Thank you!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 23:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It is possible to be bitten and feel no itching and see no welts (some people apparently do not react to bites, and others react in time--it's an allergic reaction).

If you have seen two more bugs in your apt, you have them, and need treatment. Normally I'd say get the landlord involved. If you're moving, you might need to be treated regularly until you move and then once at the new place. Lots of people who've posted here moved their bed bugs. They'd tell you it was not a waste of time or money to take every precaution.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. dowehavebugs

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 23:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!
    Few more questions:
    Any chance in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that these bugs are stragglers from a neighboring apartment and haven't infested our furniture or belongings yet?
    Also, is the landlord responsible for all of the cleaning costs of our textiles?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Oct 17 2007 1:52:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It is my understanding that bed bugs would not come to your home, hang out, and then go back to the neighbors. If you have seen two in your apt., they are living there. They are probably biting you. Get a professional's help and make sure your landlord knows foggers do not work and can actually spread bed bugs. We have a FAQ with citations on this (look in FAQS -- button below-- under treatment and look for the one on bombs or foggers). Ideally your landlord would get a good PCO to treat all infested units--all neighbors above, below, and sides, must be inspected and possibly treated.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82