Seeking better timer thermostat for packtite

(5 posts)
  1. myagonyflats

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 2:01:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I use a packtite regularly to cook secondhand items I bring into the home and I'm looking for a better/more sophisticated socket thermostat than the one included. I've found socket thermostats (from Floureon and inkbird) that can switch the heating unit on and off to keep the packtite in the sweetspot temperature-wise but I haven't found one that can do that for an hour and then shut off. The inkbird definitely CANNOT because their customer service line quickly replied to me. The foureon looks like it has more options but it is supposedly difficult to program and has a poor manual and I've had no reply from them. Has anyone found a socket thermostat that can do this? In my experience heating times with a packtite full of paper goods varies wildly and I would like to minimize heating to keep down my electric bill and reduce damage/dehydration to paper items. Thanks for reading

2. djames1921

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 23:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't had much luck finding reliable plug in timers to work with our Packtite units. It is why we switched to the non plug in variety for the Packtite Closet and Packtite SC. The heaters pull a lot of amps and the plug in types don't hold up well.

Disclosure: I manufacture Packtites

3. myagonyflats

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 23:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply (and your product). Of the timers I was looking at the inkbird at least is designed to handle space heaters and air conditioners. Is there a reason that it shouldn't work with the packtite?

While I have you on the horn I have another question. My Packtite gets a lot of use because of the amount of thrift shopping that I do. The inner foil is starting to split around the inner heater vent (from repeated folding/unfolding). Is there a heat reflective tape you would recommend that I could patch it with? I don't want to leave the @#$%ers an escape route. Also do you make any smaller- say 18" x 18" x 18" --hardshell units? or do you have any plan to?

4. djames1921

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 8 2018 10:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Any hvac rated duct tape will work. Often available at home depot, Lowe's. It is usually an aluminum sheet tape with adhesive.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 8 2018 10:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

You can pick up a roll of Fasson 810 tape on eBay for $20. The 800 is also a good product. 12 years of HVAC and those are my personal favorites.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,803 posts in 45,878 topics over 139 months by 20,203 of 21,008 members. Latest: tryingtoidenti, ieve2002, scarz12