See nothing, feel biting, very itchy, have tiny red bites

(8 posts)
  1. MissKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2016 23:59:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Got a cat about a month ago. Was scratching his ears and shaking head. Vet checked him and gave me ear drops for ear infection. Allowed cat on my bed (said I never would but caved). Started noticing I was itchy (never allergic to animals). No more bed for the cat. Noticed dandruff on cat, bad after brushing. I gave the cat a Lyme/sulfur dip as an overall parasite treatment. Sprayed house w flea n tick spray, washed all bedding, called vet now he is on Revolution for mites. You can't see then. Still cat showed dandruff again so shampooed him w flea n tick shampoo, gave second dose of Revolution, re did house n bedding meanwhile I swear I can feel bugs on me biting at night but you can't see them! I have little bites on arms and legs what the heck. I feel like I'm going absolutely insane.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 2 2016 3:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's much better to identify the problem before you go through the cost and discomfort of treating for various problems. Bed bugs, fleas and other parasites can be identified.

I would start with a flea trap just to rule them out. There's a DIY plan in our flea FAQ, or you can buy one in a hardware store. Flea FAQ: http://bedbugger.com/2012/11/09/faq-do-i-have-fleas-or-bed-bugs/

You can use bed bug monitors to try and determine if they are present: http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/bed-bug-monitors/

I wonder if it's possible that you are having some kind of dermatological reaction to the cat itself?

There are also medical issues of various kinds which can cause similar symptoms.

Dandruff on the cat isn't necessarily parasite related. They can have seasonal issues with dry skin, for example, just like humans.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. MissKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 2 2016 22:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Great info ty!! I've never been allergic, but even so went to dermatologist said what you just thought...might be my skin reacting to fur on cat...just when it feels like creepy crawly n biting makes you think a live thing is on you! I think your suggestions are good ones and I should try them ... Thank you! Yeah and I should of asked derm to do a skin scraping but I was lucky to be squeezed in for appt asap n she was hurried...but I was put on Ivermectin myself just in case prob because I looked so desp...and some topical cream for esp at night for itch. Zyrtec twice a day. If there are mites, they seem to favor my arms, ankles, upper legs...I thought because I had lil red dots that might be bites...but also could be reaction...my hunch is mites though because of feeling being bit. Ugggg I notice feeling it in am when I leave my bedroom to greet cat and she is hovering...I don't know. Feel like I did a lot already. Guess I could try those ideas you suggested just to be sure...

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2016 2:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I would follow up with Lou's suggestions in the other thread you posted to.

You need to get something confirmed visually because otherwise you are just blanketing yourself and your home randomly in chemicals which may or may not work, because you're not really sure of the cause.

Frustrating, I know.

5. MissKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2016 22:11:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree going back to vet Monday maybe an answer then I sure hope so. I understand Cheyletiella mite cannot always be easily detected on the animal...I almost hope they see it b/c then I've got an answer...

6. MissKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 14 2016 7:44:35
    #

Login to Send PM

MissKris

newbite

Posted 3 seconds ago
    Mon Mar 14 2016 6:39:30
    #

History Edit

PM This User
    I took my cat to the vet. He took a swab from his ear and thoroughly checked his fur and skin. Said no mites. Great. I was very glad to hear that. It's hard to say what it was or if there were any mites at all to begin with. But I swear they were here. I did a thorough job spraying apt 3 times over a six week period, vacuumed and washed bedding incessantly, was treated myself by dermatologist with Ivermectin and Eurax cream, shampooed cat twice with Lyme/sulfur and a flea shampoo. The cat had severe dandruff and I don't know if was r/t to Cheyeliella mites or not. He was treated with Selemetictin x3. Eventually the dandruff disappeared. I know cats can have Cheyeliella mites on skin but not show signs of scratching. In any case I do not have that feeling any more of getting bit, like pin pricking, or feel as though there are bugs crawling on me (with no proof). So I either eradicated them with my obsessive cleaning or it was all in my head. I truly believe it was those skin mites though, because it all just stopped after weeks of specific treatment. If this helps someone then I'm glad. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. What a nightmare!!! Thanks again for your input.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2016 2:14:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Whatever it was, it sounds like it is gone.

Maybe you had fleas and killed them, or something else.

Anyway, glad it is over!

8. MissKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2016 22:20:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know but seriously I was ready to drop everything and just run til I dropped! Lol the worst feeling is laying in bed at night and feeling like something creeping/crawling on you and lil pin prick bites. I feel for ppl going through this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,891 posts in 45,388 topics over 138 months by 19,944 of 20,703 members. Latest: minhnguyen3014, davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com