Second Attempt : My story and the steps I'm taking to try and correct it

(7 posts)
  1. hellbeasts

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 1:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Due to arguments based (solely) on the semantics of my last post, here is a re-entry (it's long, but thorough):

Hello fellow tortured souls! I'm going to tell you my story from the beginning, but if you don't feel like reading about the whole shebang I'll sum up at the bottom.

It all started about a two weeks ago... I woke up with a series of (5-6)bites around my right elbow. Before I get too far ahead of myself, I should let you know that if there is a bug around it WILL bite me. I am a beacon for bloodsuckers (for whatever reason). Also, I live in Hawaii where many a terrifying bug lives (including giant venomous centipedes... one of which was biting me in my sleep at one point, much to my dismay. That, however, is another story entirely.). Point being: bugs, they bite me. Because of this fact, the little bites on my elbow didn't intially strike me as the BB variety. I thought maybe I had trapped a wee spider between myself and my sheets while sleeping. It wasn't until about a week later that I woke up to another series of bites, but this time instead of 5-6 it was more like 30. At this point not only does my arm look like it's diseased but I also realize that I have a big problem, and assume its the dreaded BBs.

As soon as I made the conncection I texted my husband (I was at work) about my suspicions. The second I got home he told me that he had checked to bed and it was free and clear. At that point I started going over the couch with a fine toothed comb because thats the only other place we spend time in the apartment when home. Due to reading things on this site and others I had a good idea of where to look and what to look for (shell casings, droppings, blood ect). My search yielded nothing. At this point I was kind of relieved... nothing on the couch nothing on the bed nothing to worry about. BUT when I walked into the bedroom to change I saw the bed exactly how I left it that morning. I started tearing pillows and sheets off the bed my husbands "search" of the bed had merely included pulling the cover back and doing a quick once over. After the bed was stripped I started looking much harder. Lo and behold at the top left corner of the bed (my side) I found all of the tell tale signs.

Now, for what we did next and a disclosure. Disclosure: A lot of the things I did are not recommended, I'm going to tell you what I'm doing currently and what seems to be working but that is just my case. I am not "reccomending" any of this, per se. Just sharing. Also, we do not have any pets or children...

We nuked the crap outta those buggers. We used every drop of bug spray we had to kill the ones we saw. Then my husband pulled them out with tweezers (7- all young, not adult) and put them onto a piece of toilet paper so we could get them into better light to identify them. Then on the top left hand corner of the bed we found one big daddy (full of blood) and we tweezed him alive but made sure we didn't kill it. We took it to the bathtub and sprayed it with bug spray. A lot of posters say that bug spray doesnt' work but it killed him on the spot. Feeling satisfied that it did kill them. After that we went to the store and bought more bug spray and nuked the bed frame and sides of the matress. We shut the lights, closed the door and left to get some dinner and give them chemicals time to dissapate. When we got back we realized we may have overdone it and went and slept in an upstairs bedroom for the night. No new bites that night.

The next day, while I was at work, my husband moved forward with taking more actions. We knew we had killed the ones in that area but were not convinced that it solved our problem. All day he cleaned, vaccuumed and inspected. He took apart the entire bedframe (no boxspring for us) and sprayed everything down w/more bug spray. He found 2 more adults lurking in one of the slats and killed them on contact. He bagged everything cloth in the room including pillows and clothes (but also books to be delt with at another time). We pulled the bed away from the wall and he made inceptors for the legs of our bed by filling small plastic bowls with DE and putting the legs inside and put DE in all the joints of the bedframe, over the carpet and on windowsills so they'll have to travel through it to get back to the bed. In addition, we bought cheap white sheets so that they and their tracks will be easily spotted. We also bought a allergy/mite protector for our matress and put duct tape over the zippers. We also bought new pillows and allergy/mite protectors for those while we decided what to do with our quarantined ones. We do not have money for professional bug men so for now this is the progress we've made.

Last night 2 things happened. 1- when we got up from the couch there was an adult bedbug right under where'd we'd been sitting, but he was DEAD! I see this as good news bc something we are doing worked enough to kill him without us hitting him straight on with bug spray. 2- I recieved ZERO new bites! My husband, however, had 3. I feel as though he could have gotten those during his clean up project though.

Some people say that bug spray is bad particularly bc it can cause them to spread to other parts of the house. I guess my philosiphy on that is that if we make them walk through the DE everytime they want to eat, it may not kill them immediately and it might take a long time, but eventually we'll get the entire population. In the meanwhile i'll continue to hunt, clean and spray. So yeah I think the key to all of this is DE (food grade) and patience. I'll report back on the progress!

To sum up HERE IS WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:

Check over bed/couch/chairs/nightstands thoroughly!
    Kill any you find immediately.
    Insecticide, vaccuum, clean.
    Isolate everything in the room in bags to heat treat (I'm going to set mine in the yard in the hot Hawaii sun for 8 hours)
    Cover your matress and pillows.
    DE'd everything (that is safe to be DE'd- I PERSONALLY am not scared of this amount causing silicosis, but if you are than DON'T do it.... obviously)
    I don't know how bad our "infestation" was... we only found 11 bugs all together but we waged war and I plan to be victorious!

PS I got the DE at ace hardware.

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 8:19:02
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/my-story-and-the-steps-im-taking-to-fix-it

When people read this site, they read it to find solutions as often as they do for support. w
    Whether you intend it to be followed or not, people will try what is posted here to see if it works.. It's not a condemnation that questions are posed or posted to a thread. Primarily, it is to make sure that you are safe, but secondarily, it's to protect the person reading this in 2 years who takes the lack of questioning as an approval of this tactic as a solution..

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 9:10:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, but the criticisms were not purely semantic -- you need to read them again if you don't agree-- and your post above is almost entirely the same. It seems like you're reposing it to escape the fact that criticisms were made originally and to get more attention to your ideas.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 10:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Good morning: I didn't post under the first comment but I agree with the criticisms of the first and this post. You seem to have the best of intentions to try something and let people know how it works; however, remember there are also experts on this site. There are some experts with excellent DIY instructions that are tested over years (ie. Paul Bello's or David Cain's books/websites come to mind). It's not just the person reading in two years, but the person waking up at 3 am in a panic that read your post last night and ran to the store for food grade DE. There are a lot of posts that are HELP!HELP! I put too much DE down and now the PCO won't come to my place..etc. I know you stated twice that you are attempting to correct the problem, but maybe a title such as "Please read my actions and let me know what strengths/weaknesses you see in them" would be a better title.

Good luck!

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. hellbeasts

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 12:26:56
    #

Login to Send PM

OK goodbye. I'm done with all of this. I'm going to continuing doing what it takes to get rid of my bugs. It's a shame this forum preaches that you should only use a professional. That's not realistic to a lot of people. Post whatever you'd like, naysayers. I will not be back to read it. If you had a 100% approved solution (b/c half the time professionals fail to solve the problem) then I'm sure people would love to hear it. I'm also sure people would love to hear actually stories of real people who are trying things so they can either avoid wasting their time or actually solve the problem. I misunderstood the purpose of this forum. See ya [name calling deleted by admin].

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 13:27:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think this forum preaches that. It just acknowledges that these are not the easiest pests to self-treat. If they're difficult for professionals, why would they be easy for someone just dealing with it for the first time?

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 13:57:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed. In a best case scenario, you find it early using monitoring devices and call in a skilled expert. This rarely happens, so this site gives you advice on things like IDing photos, finding a qualified professional, and if you need to do DIY...there are experts who provide advice.

There's a post I read a while ago that was about how the person spent 8 hours steaming and knew they were all gone. The person never reposted and I always wondered what happened. Hopefully it worked the first time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,215 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls