(4 posts)
  1. NEWinNY

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 14:54:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear All,
    only being able to find fecal spots so far, I need to convince my apartment supervisor that the spots I found are fecal spots. But that person does not know bed bug blue. Can anyone point me to studies, published in recognized journals, on the effectivity of bed bug blue?
    thank you!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 15:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Those may not be bed bug fecal stains. Looking at the location and not finding any other signs makes me think that you've found something other than bed bugs.
    I don't recall what exactly is detected with Bed Bug Blue but there would have to be the possibility that it would register positive on blood that hasn't been passed by a bed bug.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 15:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

From the product description:

Note: Bed Bug Blue™ uses a proprietary developer fluid and tape to turn blue at the presence of bed bugs. In general, this test is detecting the presence of blood in the fecal spotting. In order to avoid false positive results, we recommend understanding the look and general properties of bed bug fecal spotting in order to avoid testing fecal spots from other insects that do not meet the general characteristics of bed bug spotting. Bed bug fecal spots appear like mold spots when in clusters and are generally black or very dark brown. They will smear like charcoal and retain their dark color when using a cotton swab. See some images here.

4. NEWinNY

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 18:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, but the spots otherwise match too. They were on the slats, on the bottom of the mattress. They were dark brown/black and smeared easily. When I put them on the cotton, they coloured the cotton strongly, and they turned the blue very blue. I asked David Cain to look at a picture via his website and he confirmed that they were bed bug fecal.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714