Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Scared my parents have bed bugs and may have spread them to me?

(7 posts)
  1. coolcucumber91

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 1:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Parents come over for the weekend. Recently my Dad has been getting really itchy, red bumps in clusters and lines (like what people descirbe BB bites), specifically in his arms, neck, belly, and inner thigh. They are raised red bumps the size of the hole of a hole puncher. The thing is, my mom did not have a reaction, and I know she is sensitive for bed bugs. A while back, we were in an infested hotel and she had rashes the size of apples (and we caught bed bugs lol). But she has nothing now. She checked the bed but nothing. This has been happening for a few weeks.

Just stresses me out bc they visited and chilled in my apartment. No rashes or anything with my brother who lives with them, but idk if he actually reacts to them.

Thoughts?

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 3:36:21
    #

Login to Send PM

How long ago did you all stay at the infested hotel? If you think bed bugs are a real possibility, you could get their place inspected from a professional that does a thorough inspection or even uses a k9 followed by a visual inspection of any hits.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. coolcucumber91

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 6:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 2 hours ago  » 
    How long ago did you all stay at the infested hotel? If you think bed bugs are a real possibility, you could get their place inspected from a professional that does a thorough inspection or even uses a k9 followed by a visual inspection of any hits.

The infested hotel was a long time ago, like 6 years ago. And we took the proper precautions to prevent them from coming in with us in the house. My dad's bites/ marks just came out of the blue around 3 weeks ago

I guess my only evidence is that they look like BB bites and they itch. He also went to the doctor and he didn't know what was causing the marks. Evidence against is that my mom, who definitely reacts, does not have any marks. I do recall now that they did go out of state few weeks back, but again, no marks with my mom.

4. stu9073

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 7:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

How stressful! I'm sorry this is happening to you. I'm in a similar situation with my sister/parents. My nephew (that lives with my parents) got bit up at her place, and subsequently stayed at my home with the same luggage he had at her place. Now she has a confirmed infestation. Now I'm extremely nervous because I found a dead bug that looks suspiciously like a bb in my laundry room.

Have you considered the idea of sending a canine or exterminator over there to check it out? That's where I'm at with my parents at this point because they don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation. They invited her to go with them to PA next week, knowing she has an infestation!!

Tbh, I don't even want to visit with them at this point because of this. And that makes me feel like a shitty person, but I can't help it.

If you are brave, you could carefully go over there and check out their place, if they live close. If not, have your brother do a thorough inspection of all the beds, couches, etc. Maybe they haven't spread to where he sleeps yet. Explain the implications of letting a bb situation get out of control. The person that my sister got them from someone who has now infected 4 people (confirmed), and potentially my parents and my house. If he has a gf, would he risk infecting her, etc.

Good luck. Keep us updated

5. coolcucumber91

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 7:31:03
    #

Login to Send PM

stu9073 - 27 minutes ago  » 
    How stressful! I'm sorry this is happening to you. I'm in a similar situation with my sister/parents. My nephew (that lives with my parents) got bit up at her place, and subsequently stayed at my home with the same luggage he had at her place. Now she has a confirmed infestation. Now I'm extremely nervous because I found a dead bug that looks suspiciously like a bb in my laundry room.
    Have you considered the idea of sending a canine or exterminator over there to check it out? That's where I'm at with my parents at this point because they don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation. They invited her to go with them to PA next week, knowing she has an infestation!!
    Tbh, I don't even want to visit with them at this point because of this. And that makes me feel like a shitty person, but I can't help it.
    If you are brave, you could carefully go over there and check out their place, if they live close. If not, have your brother do a thorough inspection of all the beds, couches, etc. Maybe they haven't spread to where he sleeps yet. Explain the implications of letting a bb situation get out of control. The person that my sister got them from someone who has now infected 4 people (confirmed), and potentially my parents and my house. If he has a gf, would he risk infecting her, etc.
    Good luck. Keep us updated

Thanks, I will try. They did stay in a hotel for the weekend. They only dropped by for dinner twice. But I did obviously hug my parents and stuff, etc. What are the chances I will have bed bugs? I slept int he hotel for one night, but with my brother who lives with them

Is there any chance this is not a bed bug? Shouldn't my mom show any marks by now? Should I isolate myself from my friends? I have events to go to this week

6. coolcucumber91

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 11:17:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: my dad got more rashes last night. Again, my mom is clean and they slept in the same room, although different beds in the hotel. It's been over 48 hours since they have been at home where the bites first started happening. And they pack stuff together so I would've been more concerned if my mom had bites.

I clarified with my mom and he got a rash at home first after 3 wks of staying in Indiana. Again, nothing on my mom except shingles around when they came back from Indiana(which stayed in one dermatome of the body + it hurt a lot and she had fevers)

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 11:20:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Never use skin irritations to diagnose. If there are no clear signs like fecal deposits, cast skins or live bed bugs I wouldn't be concerned, there are plenty of things that can irritate someone's skin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,900 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186