Scared I may have brought them home?

(14 posts)
  1. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 4:52:59
    #

Login to Send PM

In the past two months my grandmother's home has been infested with bed bugs. My brother believes he brought them over from his job at a shipping company.
    I frequent my grandmother's home for many reasons, and I often carry a purse or backpack.
    In the past week I have been using her sewing machine. It wasn't until my visits yesterdayday and the day before that I began to get concerned.
    I checked and checked my sewing equipment and the project I was working on, and my bed, as I have found many bites recently, but found no evidence of bugs, blood spots, eggs, or feces.

Keep on mind though, I go outside and get 10 mosquito bites in a matter of two or three minutes, and I'm also currently battling a flea problem on my dog and cats. And my cats often sleep under my blankets with me. I also very recently found an engorged tick in my bathroom.

Today I skipped out on my project and stayed home, and decided to double check ALL my belongings.

Again, nothing turned up until I emptied out my purse. As soon as I dumped it's contents on the floor, I saw an extremely small light brown bug rinning away. I immediately crushed it, but I saved it on a piece of toilet paper in a sealed plastic bag and I'm freezing it. I also threw away a large portion of the items in my purse and I'm soaking everything else in alcohol over night. I purse itself I've wrapped tightly in a grocery bags and shoved it in my freezer.

I washed all my clothes that were on the floor of my closet, though all my clothes are cold wash, I dried most on warm and I have the rest hanging up over laminate floor in my kitchen. I checked all my other bags and luggage type stuff and saw no signs of anything in my closet. I have also bagged up all my other bedding in garbage bags for future washing. I've sprinkled a DE perimeter around them.

I've spread DE all over my mattress, furniture and a perimeter over it around my bed and nightstand where my purse had been.

flea bite and mosquito bites tend to stay small but turn dark reddish purple after a day. But at my grandma's I got a cluster of four bites on my inner thigh, that started out small, but are now large swollen rashes.

I was outside when I got them. And over night bites appeared on my feet, while I was wearing tight knee high socks..

I'm going to call my apartments and ask to have a pro come check ASAP.

Here's a picture of what I crushed. Could it be a baby bed bug that crawled out of my purse or could it be a baby tick?

Thanks in advance!

2. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 5:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

On a side note, about a month ago I brought many things from my grandmothers to donate, and I haven't removed them from the car. We've had a fee nearly 90° F days here, and I was wondering what's the likely hood of the car becoming infested? I think the infestation was limited to a single room where none of the item I took were stored, but I can't be too sure. There haven't been any signs or sightings of the bugs yet, but I haven't thoroughly searched the car yet either..

3. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 5:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't understand. By your reckoning your grammas house is infested. How has this been treated?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  4. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 6:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, it's late and I'm having a hard time explaining.

Her home is definitely infested. Live bed bugs have been found, a lot.
    At her home they're just spraying with random bug sprays and killing them by hand as they see them, and washing and cleaning what they can as often as possible. (There's a big problem with my grandma being the only one cleaning, and she's too old to do much any more.. so it's basically just her attempting to keep her own room clean.)

Now I've been scared I would track them home, and I've smooshed, ans need ID on. Im trying to prevent an infestation before it starts, basically. I've put out a lot of DE and I'm calling to get someone to come out and check for more signs when I wake up in the morning.

I've actually gotten new bites since I first posted, after being in bed.

5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 10:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug is small but when I zoomed in then used the magnifier,
    it has 8 legs & a tick head. its not a bedbug I am 100% sure & 99.9 % sure is tick ,
    What type of tick ID may need a closer pic posted for experts.
    I am not a expert but it is clearly not bedbug & with magnifier clearly a tick , Its not a guess or looks like, its a tick.

6. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 13:52:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Omgosh thank you! I can handle ticks. So much less terrifying for me. If it truly is, I've already got tick prevention on my pets, and the one I found before could have layed eggs before I captured it. Most likely Brown Dog Tick.
    I'm still definitely going to have PC come take a check just in case. Thank you so much!

7. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 13:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Someone needs to get your grandmother help if in fact these are bed bugs in her house. Post a picture of what is in her house, please.

If family brought them in then (sorry to get on the soap box) then they have a moral, possibly legal, obligation to get an exterminator in. Sorry but to me, it's elder abuse not to. You're worrying about a single bug and your grandmother--if they are bed bugs--has a house full of them? Get help for your gramma. Highly likely you all will end up with them if you don't.

8. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 22 2015 2:12:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing is that I personally could not afford to help. My brother was recently caught stealing 2000 dollars from my grandma.. (don't worry him and his girl friend both are currently "getting help" for their problem) so she can't dish out cash for it. I'm basically just a housewife, and my husband is in-between jobs. (though starting a new one soon)

For them, bed bugs are the least concerning of their problems.. it may sound crazy, but it's seriously secondary to everything else she's dealing with.

I have however told her and my mom (who also lives there) all of the steps they can do to diminish the numbers and fight against them, until they can get someone to come get rid of them.

9. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 22 2015 13:45:16
    #

Login to Send PM

VoltaN
    Ticks are known to transmit Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever among other things so you really need to get to the source of the problem that you're getting them in your home to the extent their in your handbag and other place not usual for ticks. I would not put off contacting the landlord for PCO help with that.

As for your grandmothers house if she has a infestation of bedbugs it will not just go away.

For them, bed bugs are the least concerning of their problems.. it may sound crazy, but it's seriously secondary to everything else she's dealing with.

If you can catch & get a close clear pic of one of these bedbugs from your grandmothers please post it for ID to make sure they are bedbugs.You might want to do that in a new thread also .

As for $ problems if the infestation is not addressed it will grow & could easily over time go from some thing manageable in her house to a family wide problem.

There is a lot of useful information here at bedbugger to help you if you look around the site & spend some time reading. If you need help finding any info just ask about it.
    There are DIY monitors they can use made of cardboard or fan folded paper here is the links.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget#post-215614
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget#post-217040
    I wish you & your family good luck dealing with all the issues at hand, godbless.

10. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 23 2015 4:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I've already put topical flea/tick prevention on all of my pets, and gotten powder to get rid of fleas and ticks, for my carpets, and we have an exterminator coming out Wednesday just in case, and some one else is coming out next Saturday to do an inspection to double check for Bed Bugs, since I don't trust just my lack of seeing them and signs of them as 100% evidence we don't have any.

I've been looking up DIY management for Bed Bugs for my grandma, and so far my best ideas are for them to get inceptors, wash and dry everything they can on high heat at least once a week, and store uncontaminated stuff in vaccuum sealed bags, and contaminated things they don't use in separate sealed bags, store them in their attic, and try to find a bomb specificly for bed bugs and use that every two weeks..
    or just burn the whole house down 😒

thank you for your help, too. Any thing that I can use to help them at least manage the problem is good enough until my brother pays back my grandma

11. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 23 2015 10:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

12. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 23 2015 10:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

@VoltaN
    Most Important, bomb specificly for bed or not don't help it drives them deeper in the structure is the research on that. you can get sprayers & chemical residue for bb that is researched to work over time & repeat app. Richard56 can give you the low down on DIY info data .

or just burn the whole house down

Statements like that are not funny or a healthy outlet after all you aren't talking about your place but your grandma's home & your mom..And the only thing grandma did was help her family
    Grandma is at the mercy of all she invested her life in all of you'll,. It cost nothing to clean/vacuum/vacuum/vacuum & vacuum for bugs & eggs some more & make monitors & traps. The way I see it , every one caught & killed is one less batch of eggs in the future.Not to mention spreading them.

thank you for your help, too. Any thing that I can use to help them at least manage the problem is good enough until my brother pays back my grandma

First Your very welcome & everyone here are volunteers that now have, have had or specialize in some area of bedbugs.
    Second Waiting for your brother to make good for grandma (hint if he gave her bedbugs & took 2k from her. ahum!) really think grandma should hold her breath on that?
    Any way for what it worth that my reply.

13. VoltaN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 25 2015 2:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry I made that joke. It was was mostly sarcasm, and some thing even my grandma has said from time to time.

The majority of her home seems to only have a minor infestation compared to the room my brother stays in. He is currently attempting to get help for his problems, but I doubt they'll be able to fully get rid of the BBs until he and his girlfriend leave..
    my grandma is washing her linens twice a week, and so is my mom. I visit every week or so, so I will do my best to vaccuum, (On that note I put flea powider in my vaccuum canister to help kill fleas when they get sucked up, should I put DE in their canister to help kill any sucked up bedbugs?) And help with any other bedbug killing techniques. What are some steps I should take to prevent taking them home after a visit? I don't want to stop visiting all together, but I doubt this problem will be going away anytime soon.

14. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 25 2015 4:32:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I'm really sorry about what your grandmas going through.. I feel for her. No good deed goes unpunished right?
    I'm sure if she or you guys try to take care of it, you'll do what's right for you.
    As far as not bringing any home, I'm sure there's travel FAQ on this site & you just gotta take some precautions. I'm glad you found this site so you can take some steps so hopefully you don't bring any home.
    I'm sorry for your grandma and the situation!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956