Saw my first bed bug commercial on NYC television news

(20 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 2:57:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It was Bell Environmental advertising its freezing treatment (Cryonite, I assume) on NY1 News, this evening.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 5:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

At least it will raise awareness regardless of my feelings of the technology in question.

David

3. cantstopscratching

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 9:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, people need to be aware that this is a problem. No more ordering used things off of ebay for me, or traveling without bb precautions. No more folding my laundry down in the laundry room. And, if I get a new mattress, will definitely make sure the company doesn't put used, old mattresses in the same truck. Won't even sit at subway benches now. Yes, I've lost my innocence....

4. dottie

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 10:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I think about bbs on mass transit, too. Several times I have seen cockroaches on the bus and subway. And I've heard lice are common there, too. And scabies, whatever causes scabies.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 19:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome - 13 hours ago  » 
    At least it will raise awareness regardless of my feelings of the technology in question.

You put it well, old friend.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 19:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

dottie - 9 hours ago And scabies, whatever causes scabies.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is scabies more or less requires skin-to-skin contact to spread. (Perhaps skin-to-seat-to-skin would work, I don't know.)

I have seen people picking lice off one another on the E train and flicking them across the subway car. I am not exaggerating. Two young people did this to a third seated between them for 1/2 hour. What disturbed me most was that I was the only one who moved away!

7. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 21:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG! That's disgusting. They have a law against spitting in the subway, but I think what you just described is far worse. You mean you didn't jump off at the next station?

8. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 23:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

oh Nobugs - that's such a pleasant image to think about and carry around. I don't think anyone could ever make up a story like that....

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 1:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It was late at night, so I did not jump off and change trains.

But it was gross.

10. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 12:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Putting the E train on my list of DO NOT DO EVER!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 14:14:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Welllll, I still ride the E train. I think lice are not likely to make a permanent home in a subway car. And having lived at the end of a line, I can confirm they really do clean the subways when they get there.

Bed bugs are another matter...

12. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 20:51:07
    #

Login to Send PM

perhaps not live in the subway - but lice jump from person to person so when I ride the subway I meake it a point not to stand too close to other people

13. DeathToBBs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 21:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 20 minutes ago  » 
    perhaps not live in the subway - but lice jump from person to person so when I ride the subway I meake it a point not to stand too close to other people

How can you NOT stand close to people in the subway. On the shuttle in Manhattan during rush hour, people are packed in like sardines. As well as on the 4, 5 and 6 trains going uptown at 42nd Street during the height of rush hour, there are sooo many people packed into these trains that sometimes there is no room for people to even board the trains and hafta let a few trains go buy. This is the same for some city buses, packed to the max.

Nobugs, how do you know it was lice (eww, gross!)?

14. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 22:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Just for the record, lice don't hop, jump or fly. I guess their tiny size is also on their side as of spreading from person to person. (via hats, scarfs, pillows, clothing, hairbrushes, etc..) I guess flinging a bug toward someone is a way of flying. (wink, wink)
    Not to different from bed bugs in some ways I guess. But a heck of a lot easier and faster to rid, not to mention the trauma and huge costs that goes with bed bugs. Boy, wouldn't ridding bed bugs with a bottle and a comb and some extra laundry be nice?!

As a parent I'm looking forward to the day that we would at least get notice from the school if a student has a bed bug infestation at home so as other families can be on the lookout.

Even though lice infest the body and bed bugs infest "items" and "structures" I would take lice over a bed bug any day! (okay, enough of my ramble, back to topic....sorry)

15. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 23:37:53
    #

Login to Send PM

my apologies Paula- I thought they jumped!! which is why they are are very contagious. regardless it makes my skin crawl to talk about lice

i am afraid to ask how you know so much about them

DeathToBBs - I work from home on my own business so I don't take the subways during rush hour - but I belive you are most correct in that people are packed into those trains

16. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 8:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele, no need to apologize. Just wanted to put that out there is all. A dear neighbor that has 4 girls had them a few years ago. She totally freaked out. All toys had to go in black backs for a few weeks and all clothing was washed and dried. (normal cycles, mind you) And she was constantly washing everyone's hair in that special shampoo. There was no pesticides poured everywhere for months and living out of bags. No tossing furniture, no unrecoverable expenses. Now that's a nuisance bug!Then the following spring, we got bed bugs. NOT the same experience. Both bugs bring on the same "shame stigma" and actually had nothing to do with filth either. Hmm. I think hell with freeze over before I get a notice from the school district about a home with bed bugs. It kills me. I already went to the school board last year. I think I need to step up to plate and do something a bit more at this point. Just not sure how.

It wasn't until our infestation that I Googled lice to find out more about them. (much the same reaction people have when they find out they have bed bugs. Many times they really don't give a hoot until they have a problem with them) It's amazing how much a person can learn when they actually want to!

Good to know that you are doing well. Best.

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 9:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

If anyone out there is looking to write a book can I suggest the parents guide to things that creep and crawl.

There is a lot that could be gained from showing people how to logically and calmly deal with some of these issues.

Head lice are indeed a lot easier to deal with although the level of re infestation from untreated contact seems to be a lot greater. It's an issue that has plagued schools in the UK for years.

Scabies on the other hand I also a form of lice but this time of the body and the biggest issue here is that you may not get the signs of an infestation for up to 1 month the first time you get exposed. After that its a lot faster and you know to take a day out and decon.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  18. Overwhelmed

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 15:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

paulaw0919 - 16 hours ago  » 
    Boy, wouldn't ridding bed bugs with a bottle and a comb and some extra laundry be nice?!

You have to give bed bugs this: They certainly do put things in perspective!

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 20:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

DeathToBBs - 22 hours ago  » 
    Nobugs, how do you know it was lice (eww, gross!)?

Well, it was clear they were picking something from the one friend's scalp and flicking them off. More accurately, maybe nits. Same difference. I watched them long enough to know it was a lice issue.

20. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 20:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

All I can say is that little tidbit of information would make for delightful cocktail conversations!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus