Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Saw a live bed bug after heat treatment. What do we do?

(4 posts)
  1. JBCanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 7:09:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just bought a detached house in Ontario, Canada. We'd never had bed bugs before. A few days after moving in, I started getting itchy red bites everywhere. We found several dead bed bugs in the bedroom, which were confirmed as bed bugs by an exterminator.

We went through heat treatment - left for the weekend, etc. The exterminator remarked that we followed the preparation instructions just about perfectly. He said that the treatment was a success and that they killed all the bugs. So we moved back in, cautiously optimistic. I should also mention: he said that they found bugs upstairs, but not downstairs.

Four days later, last night, I was on the downstairs couch, and saw a live bug crawling beside me. We captured it and identified it based on the fact that it was identical to the others. We moved the couch cushions and found a few dead bugs and some possible eggs, although those may be from the heat treatment four days prior (they did the entire house).

I guess my questions are:

1. What do we do now? Since we only saw one bug, did we just see a "dead bug walking", or did the entire treatment fail? Do we repeat the heat treatment (90 day warranty) or do something else? Because of my wife's health, moving out is extremely hard, and we're desperate to avoid redoing the treatment.

2. How did the bug get downstairs? Do we take this as a sign that the infestation spread after treatment, or is there a chance that I/my dog are bringing them in? I also heat treated the car with a space heater and thermometer, and had it professionally cleaned inside.

2. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 7:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi JB,

I don't have answers for you, but I wanted to send my sympathies. That's so hard to have moved into a new house and to have to deal with this. I will be following your post for answers. We had a heat treatment, followed by a residual pesticide sprayed around the baseboards. We had a very light infestation to begin with, but now I'm not sure if the treatments got them all. Like you, I'm reluctant to get another treatment because of the challenge of prep and leaving the house, but obviously we will do it if necessary. Best of luck to you.

IckIck

3. JBCanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 22:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

IckIck - 14 hours ago  » 
    Hi JB,
    I don't have answers for you, but I wanted to send my sympathies. That's so hard to have moved into a new house and to have to deal with this. I will be following your post for answers. We had a heat treatment, followed by a residual pesticide sprayed around the baseboards. We had a very light infestation to begin with, but now I'm not sure if the treatments got them all. Like you, I'm reluctant to get another treatment because of the challenge of prep and leaving the house, but obviously we will do it if necessary. Best of luck to you.
    IckIck

Thanks. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

Today we vacuumed the couch where we found the bug, and powdered every last crevice with diatomaceous earth. We sprinkled the DE in a few places we hadn't before (we previously did the entire perimeter of both stories, every crack). Spent hours cleaning the house. And not even ten minutes after we sit down to relax, my wife finds a second live bug on the ground near the couch. We caught it, videoed it moving in case exterminator needs proof, and killed it. Interestingly, it didn't let out any blood, so maybe it didn't feed yet?

Either way, we're calling the exterminator tomorrow. I think they're confined to deep crevices of the couch, but don't know what to do. I've seen another thread mention "dead bugs walking" who are just stragglers.

More than anything, I want these things gone for good.

4. JBCanada

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 23:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

So just to update we wrapped up the couch in pallet wrap and removed it from the home. Then saw the tiniest baby one I've seen yet crawling on the small end tablecloth. We put the tablecloth in the wash (carefully) and then dryer for 30 minutes high heat. Just threw out the table altogether.

It's becoming maddening and depressing. Heat treatment is coming Tuesday. I just don't think it will ever really go away. We're thinking of doing a chemical treatment directly after heat treatment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus