Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Sanity Check and Packtite Question

(7 posts)
  1. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 11:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all-
    I have stayed off the boards for the most part for my own emotional well being (shout out to KQ haha)... but I have two questions that I'm hoping that some of you can answer for me...

1. I am packtite-ing belts. When you have a belt that has space that's open between the holes that you tighten it in, would you put the probe inside the holes? Is that considered the most insulated point? Or do you feel pretty confident that a belt is safe because the surface heats up quickly?

2. This is more because I need a good kick in the butt/hug/someone to put me in check... I have a friend who doesn't take the whole bed bug issue seriously. When we were dealing with our scare, she wanted to come over anyway, didn't care about precautions, etc. At the time, I thought she was just being sweet and supportive... over time, I've realized that she's just in denial that she could ever get them/isnt concerned. She just returned from a trip abroad where she was on a guided tour where she shared accommodations and transportation with a group of like 40 people. They stayed in the same hotels and shared a tour bus. I had lunch with her yesterday and she mentioned that someone else on the trip thought they encountered bed bugs in one of the hotels. When I asked her about precautions that she took, she said that she looked carefully at all of her stuff, made sure to sit in different parts of the bus than the girl, and never got bites, so she was fine. She returned home late last week and I saw her the morning after she returned. As of now, her suitcase is still sitting in her living room, packed. I sat diagonally across from her at a bar table and hugged her (briefly) hello and goodbye. Is it completely unreasonable for this to be making me super paranoid about getting something from her? My logical side says yes, but my anxiety says no... Is it reasonable to limit contact with her for the upcoming weeks/months to out in public or is this overkill?

Thanks so much- I hope you all are doing well and definitely have been keeping tabs on the regulars Experts and NoBugs- thanks for all you do!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 11:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't worry about the belt, you're over complicating it.

As for your friend, someone in her group thought they encountered bed bugs. Not the most reliable info. I wouldn't be concerned with it.

3. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 11:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BD I tend to overthink/complicate many things haha

I think I was mostly concerned because she said that the girl found evidence in the room, but that the hotel didn't care that much... makes me wonder if the girl was able to take any precautions herself. It just seems too many degrees away/unlikely based on the contact?

BigDummy - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Don't worry about the belt, you're over complicating it.
    As for your friend, someone in her group thought they encountered bed bugs. Not the most reliable info. I wouldn't be concerned with it.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 15:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I had lunch with her yesterday and she mentioned that someone else on the trip thought they encountered bed bugs in one of the hotels. When I asked her about precautions that she took, she said that she looked carefully at all of her stuff, made sure to sit in different parts of the bus than the girl, and never got bites, so she was fine. She returned home late last week and I saw her the morning after she returned. As of now, her suitcase is still sitting in her living room, packed. I sat diagonally across from her at a bar table and hugged her (briefly) hello and goodbye. Is it completely unreasonable for this to be making me super paranoid about getting something from her? My logical side says yes, but my anxiety says no... Is it reasonable to limit contact with her for the upcoming weeks/months to out in public or is this overkill?

I wouldn't worry. Bed bugs spread, but not THAT easily, and not EVERY time.

Even if the other person did have bed bugs in their room, it doesn't mean they brought any home, had any on their person that day in the bus, etc.

You can go nuts worrying about this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 19:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm OCD and wouldn't worry about the belt.

Regarding your friend, I don't know about your work, but people around me travel all around the US and overseas all the time. I can't worry about them, just taking what has become more reasonable precautions for my home. I've never had BBs, but thought I ran into them 3-5 years ago (a long time ago). I may have gotten bites, or it could have been mosquitos given where I traveled to. Never anything at home. So, my experience was not as intense as yours, but I tend to packtite about once a week now (probably too much for some people).

Some of it..this protocol of taking things off and putting in a plastic bag/changing when I get home..I found my allergy symptoms are about 50% of what they used to be. I'd always taken off shoes, but it's amazing how many allergens we bring into our home from clothes, purses, etc.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 19:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Just noticed I forgot to include the quote I was referring to, so I edited my post above.

7. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 25 2015 8:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback- you can definitely drive yourself nuts thinking about all of the possible scenarios, which I've started to do, so I just needed a reality check. Appreciate it

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19