sanitizing electronics, instrument

(3 posts)
  1. bugchu

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2016 11:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! *waves* I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now and it has been helpful to me in battling my bed bug problem. Thanks to everyone and especially nobugsonme for making this place what it is!

I got an account to ask about a specific question that I could not find in the FAQs.

Background: I found bedbugs in my apartment in mid-April 2016. I live in a two-story apartment building with 40 units. I reported them immediately to my landlords, who took 10 days to start spraying (still mad about that) and had to have six follow-up sprays to finally get rid of the suckers. During that whole time I was keeping my stuff bagged and sealed to eliminate hiding places, doing all laundry on hot and an hour in the dryer, etc. I took precautions to ensure they would not leave my apartment with me. I am still taking these precautions even though I have not seen a live bug or had a bite in about six weeks. (Yaaaay!)

However, my landlords have not been super on top of this problem, are terrible at communicating, and for that and several other reasons I'm moving. I have already moved many things into the new place (renting a room from a friend). EVERYTHING that goes with me, get heat-treated. I have a ZappBug oven that has worked very well so far in eliminating bugs that can fit inside it. I also treated my purse, computer (carefully!) and other stuff that routinely leaves the house with me, and keep them sealed in bags when at home. (Lately I started using my computer on the front porch again, since I haven't seen bugs in a long time and I'm tired of Starbucks...) If it won't fit in the oven, it's not coming. I'm going to lose a lot of furniture which I regret, but I am super excited to leave this problem behind me.

My questions are about treating a few really specific items that I'm nervous to put in the oven.

First, electronics. Does anybody have a lot of experience heat-treating electronics? I treated my laptop because laptops get pretty hot when you use them anyway. I would like to treat power cords and extension cords, but I can of course get new ones if necessary. I have two much bigger concerns. One is my TV. It will end up in storage at the new place, but I'd hate to get rid of it because it was an investment of several hundred dollars. The other is a Nintendo 64, which has a lot of sentimental value for me, as well as about 10 game cartridges and 3 controllers. I'm definitely nervous about damaging these things but definitely don't want to get rid of them! I also have a Nintendo 3DS and a Nintendo GPA SP with several games for each. I may end up just wiping the handhelds down with alcohol (I have rubbing alcohol which I use sparingly but I do use it to sanitize small, liquid-filled items that I'm nervous to heat, such as nail polish; I keep it on the porch and only use it outside, for safety).

The other thing I have is a French horn, which I haven't played in a while but I also really really don't want to get rid of. It was expensive, and I do want to play it again eventually, and I can't fathom simply throwing it away (if I did get rid of it I'd sell it so someone else can benefit from it). I know metal can be heated up without destroying it so it would probably be fine but would love to hear from someone else with experience - also, nervous about the case, which is fabric-lined and want to make sure I treat it effectively (it has been stored near my bed...).

Any suggestions would be very welcome! I will try to do my part by seeing where I can help others as well.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2016 13:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi--

French horn: I can't say if heating it would be safe. With musical instruments, I would contact the manufacturer.

Some people here have heated electronics successfully. If you want to be sure, ask the manufacturer. You can often find specs online. Otherwise, there's always some risk. With laptops, and I assume this applies to other items with batteries, be sure and remove batteries first.

Another option for electronic and other items might be DDVP strips in a sealed bag or Cirkil/Proof "rag in a bag". You can read about both in the Useful Tools page: http://Bedbugger.com/useful-tools/

However, I am not sure of those methods for the French horn. You might PM and ask pro user P Bello if DDVP is safe for that use, since he has a lot of experience with it.

Another option which is more expensive is to have items treated in a pod with Vikane or a heated trailer. I mention this in case the cost would be better than that of replacing furniture, since you could treat most or all items at once.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugchu

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2016 21:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, thank you so much for your reply! I love that you run this blog; it does so much good.

I am not familiar with Vikaine (a pesticide it appears?) and am not sure how a heated trailer would be qualitatively different from the bed bug oven. I can definitely carefully monitor the temperature on the oven to make sure it stays within the right range. I will definitely look into the specs of individual electronics.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19